How did you discover Katatonia?

From the Firestarter compilation: Their song "Murder" caught my attention...

From the W.A.R compilation: "Love of the Swan" and "Black Erotica" secured my interest in Katatonia...

1th time: Record store in Bodø, Norway. '94 I think.
Dance Of December Souls. Glad I had the chance to follow this band from that early on! Still kicks ass! And to me DODS still has a truly fantastic atmosphere!

It was the Summer of 1999, I came into a Musicland in Thessaloniki(Greece) to buy Judgement and heard SOMETHING...
It was great, the vocal lines, the atmosphere, the whole room just breathed with it....I thought it were the Liverpudlians, but it was Deadhouse playing.
I fell in love instantly and bought both the albums instantly.
One of the happiest days of my life(and one of the cleverest Decisions ever made)...

i first listened to dance of december souls and since that time it´s the best album i ever listened to! in fact, the first three katatonia-releases are the greatest music ever created by mankind! after for funerals... the band became uninteresting and the stuff they release today is not in the least comparable with the great hymns of the past! rest in peace, katatonia! :devil:

I discovered them about a couple of months ago when I got into My Dying Bride. I was never really into Doom Metal until I heard MDB. Then I found this site www.doom-metal.com and was looking at some of the band bios in the Band List. Then I saw Katatonias name and remembered hearing good things about them. So I downloaded "I Am Nothing" and wasnt real impressed. Then I gave it another listen and it began to stick. Then I downloaded Teargas and fell in love. Right after that I went and bought both "Tonights Decision" and "Last Fair Deal Gone Down".

got DODS from my friend on a cassete when it was released, and fell in love with it...
but for some reason i never got to buy the record, forgot it, and so on..
many years later came my bandmate and said "hey, check this band out" and borowed me TD.
at first i thought "hey, what is this crap.... what did they do to the katatonia i loved" but after listening to it a few times, and most important, reading the lyrics, i fell in love..

now they are one of the top rated in my record colection.

again. =)

Originally posted by Wanderer
1995 by a friend he has "D.O.D.S"(it was priate) and i fell in love with "kata" first album i bought in 1997 "brave murder day" it is hard to find it in Turkey.It has been my happiest day since 2001 (their gig in Turkey)

well, you know you can always find it at copy cd sellers! :) :eek:

Originally posted by Dakuroth
For me it was a cover CD off Metal Hammer, sandwiched between Moonspell (yay!) and fucking Coal Chamber or some such crap. The song was "I am Nothing", and the rest is history....

Snap. Exactly where I first discovered them

Once I started to listen to real music, one of the first band I fell in love with was Opeth, and from there is branched off into Katatonia.

Some guy invited everyone at the Samael Yahoo club to join the Katatonia Yahoo club (now extinct). I surfed to the deadsite, found the atmosphere dark and so very nice that I decided to buy the LFDGD album. So I've met Katatonia backwards (I've bought TD, then DO and BMD, so far).
What really convinced me to buy the CD, was the Deadsite background music.