Bands Like Katatonia who have changed/evolved?

berkleyblack

Dream into Forver
Aug 30, 2003
bham, in bama
we all agree that katatonia was great back in the day, and they still are, so who can think of some other ex-brutal/heavy/death/black style bands that have since givin up the anger in exchange for sadness, suckness and/or just empty pop?

my short list:
Katatonia
Paradise Lost
Napalm Death (from grind to brutal death, to crapcore)
Sentenced
Entombed (great swedish deathnroll to punkcoreish ass)
Metallica (thought they dont fit here so much, you get the point)
In the Woods
In Flames
Moonspell (though i might retract this due to 'the antidote')
Mithotyn (weaker as it went on later to become Falconer to not sully the mithotyn name too much)
Soilwork (though they were never too hard, they are considerably less so now)
...And Oceans (now electronic, wtf happened here?)
Therion
Amorphis

that is about all i can think of off the top of my head and via a quick stroll through my cd cases.

i would love to hear opinions on this and expansions of my list.

thought of the day:
if god can see all and knows all, wtf is the point of prayer?

These bands are still damn great (although in maybe all cases, not as good as they were), even though their sound has changed drastically.
Katatonia
Sentenced
Therion
Amorphis
--------------------------------------

Anathema have to be mentioned.

Hah. Tiamat. With each album, except the last three where they're stuck in the same stagnating, redundant goth-rock rut... "Sumerian Cry" ruled.

WATCHING AS THE VIRGIN WRITHE IN FEAR
DRAIN HER BLOOD FROM A GASP IN HER THROAT
SET FIRE TO THE ALTAR AND WATCH HER BURN
UNHOLY BURIED IN AN UNHOLY GRAVE

BLOOD OF THE SACRIFICE SEEPS INTO THE GROUND
CRIMSON LIQUID STAINS THE PENTAGRAM
UNHOLY WARRIORS ON AN ANTICHRIST CRUSADE
THE EFFORTS OF THE UNNAMED IS PROVED AND WITNESSED

...complete with broken English. How wonderful. Those were the days...

Guardian of Darkness said:
These bands are still damn great (although in maybe all cases, not as good as they were), even though their sound has changed drastically.
Katatonia
Sentenced
Therion
Amorphis
--------------------------------------

Anathema have to be mentioned.

i still love most of these bands, with the exception(s) of Napalm Death (harmony corruption was the last one with any class), Metallica (whom i never liked), Entombed (wolverine blues might push the goodness, but clandestine and left hand path just rule), In Flames (whoracle was superb and as much as everything after blew ther was some nice iron maidenish stuff on clayman), and ...and Oceans (good lord amgod was genius though no where near the first two and cypher is just garbage, better used as a coaster).

please note that i wasnt bitching about the 'evolution' of these groups, i was just noting that they had changed.

IMO

For Good:

Anathema
Katatonia
The Gathering
In The Woods...
Therion
Death :(
Green Carnation

More or Less:

Amorphis
Paradise Lost
Burzum
Slayer
Entombed
Sepultura
Monspell
Megadeth

For Bad:

Theatre of Tragedy :(
Metallica
In Flames
And Oceans..
Bethlehem
Mortiis
Evereve

dont remember more at the moment :)

Well, after looking at all of your guy's lists(hey Erik, those Tiamat lyrics are precious. They are such a joke now----you should check out Treblinka's demos, which is what Tiamat was before Sumerian Cry), I think I should add a couple more:

Cave-In------never know what to expect when these young lads release an LP
Isis - used to be Neurosis meets Godflesh, now it is Mogwai meets Katatonia
Neurosis - traditional punkcore, now meditative psychedelics
Ulver - raw black metal, now sensible, emotional ambient electronica
Pantera - hehehehehehehe

got better:

-

kept the quality (more or less):

Katatonia
In The Woods...
Arcturus

got worse:

Paradise Lost
Anathema
Moonspell
Tiamat
Ulver
Blazing Eternity
The Gathering
Amorphis

The Scourge said:
Ulver - raw black metal, now sensible, emotional ambient electronica
Pantera - hehehehehehehe

DAMN, i totally forgot about ulver and pantera. though i very much like what ulver has migrated to. the black metal stuff is great and raw, but the ambient strikes a very emotional chord with me and though they have stayed a LONG way, they have become one of my favorites.

and pantera, well, i like the powermetal stuff and the early thrash/speed stuff but whatever the hell happened after far beyond driven turned me off to an alarmind degree. glad they called an end to it. down 2 and both superjoint albums have been good but nothing equals pantera's first four albums (powermetal, cowboys from hell, vulgar display of power and far beyond driven) with phil.

yeah, uh huh

Don't forget Tiamat. They went from death metal to goth. I like newer Tiamat better.
Therion's older albums were excellent, and they've always been about experimenting. Their newer stuff is amazing.
Iron Maiden went from a rock band to a metal band to a prog band over their career, but they never actually lost any of the aspects of their older sound(s).

The Scourge said:
Well, after looking at all of your guy's lists(hey Erik, those Tiamat lyrics are precious. They are such a joke now----you should check out Treblinka's demos, which is what Tiamat was before Sumerian Cry)
I have the demos and the 7" + a live set on a 2CD bootleg. They just fucking rule. The "Crawling in Vomits" demo is a pure classic.

THE DOCTOR TOLD YOU YOU'RE INSANE
'CAUSE YOU ARE VOMITING ALL NIGHT!

"Aa, den här låten handlar om att spy..."

I've got the 1st and 2nd demo on vinyl. I prefer the 2nd demo. Very primitive. It rules. Maybe i'll post my ABC in bands here once. It would be nice. But i'm too tired now. I just love to see October Tide Ressurected.

I think you guys should just give me your Treblinka demo's, simply because it is the right thing to do. And besides, it's Christmas!!! You don't want old Scourgeypoo to only have the mp3's of those tracks, do you? Man dAnus, in all seriousness, you are one lucky fellow. I don't know how many of the Treblinka demos were made, but I am sure that it is nothing to sneeze at. Oh, and if I am not mistaken, October Tide is on definite hiatus according to Jonas. Perhaps there is a way that we can change his mind......

The Scourge said:
I think you guys should just give me your Treblinka demo's, simply because it is the right thing to do. And besides, it's Christmas!!! You don't want old Scourgeypoo to only have the mp3's of those tracks, do you? Man dAnus, in all seriousness, you are one lucky fellow. I don't know how many of the Treblinka demos were made, but I am sure that it is nothing to sneeze at. Oh, and if I am not mistaken, October Tide is on definite hiatus according to Jonas. Perhaps there is a way that we can change his mind......
The LP is a bootleg too... The tapes are pretty much impossible to get. You can buy the same 2CD bootleg as I have from here: http://thr.cjb.net/

The Scourge said:
Man dAnus, in all seriousness, you are one lucky fellow. I don't know how many of the Treblinka demos were made, but I am sure that it is nothing to sneeze at. Oh, and if I am not mistaken, October Tide is on definite hiatus according to Jonas. Perhaps there is a way that we can change his mind......
The Demo's are a bootleg (also stricktly limited.), i think from Brazil. The originals are as Eric told very rare.

October Tide. It's up to Jonas to change if he wants to. we could spam his mail account, but i don't think he would appriciate that. :D
We'll have to do it with those 2 releases.

John Carvajal said:
IMO

For Good:

Anathema
Katatonia
The Gathering
In The Woods...
Therion
Death :(
Green Carnation

More or Less:

Amorphis
Paradise Lost
Burzum
Slayer
Entombed
Sepultura
Monspell
Megadeth

For Bad:

Theatre of Tragedy :(
Metallica
In Flames
And Oceans..
Bethlehem
Mortiis
Evereve

dont remember more at the moment :)
I certainly agree with all of this. Especially the for bad. Theatre of Tragedy went to hell. Metallica to shit. New IF is fucking crap. But Katatonia and Anathema have definitely improved (even though I do like their old stuff a lot).