Tiamat - Judas Christ

Spudd

Mar 26, 2002
Portland, Oregon
www.espudd.com
Hey! The original posting of this review can be found right here; Tiamat Review

-----

Tiamat have come a very long way in their mixed and moody history. Each release always shows some new side or facet of Tiamat that we never knew of, and their new album, "Judas Christ" holds true to that standard.

Johan Edlund (lead dead-like vocals) says that the title, "Judas Christ" in not blasphemy or a slam on Jesus Christ. But, that if Jesus and Judas were still alive, Jesus would view Judas as a friend and brother. Even though the bloke did betray him. So with that little background you can begin to understand just what this album means for Tiamat. Many fans are going to call them "Judas" and say that they have betrayed them (the fans) with this new collection of songs. While on Tiamat's side they are saying that no matter what the fans may think, they will always view them as their friends, and as their backbone for bringing them so far.

With that knowledge, the shock of "Judas Christ" will not be as devastating for you as it might be for others. "Judas Christ" is in fact a very high-on-life kind of album. No more songs about the down trodden or of a gloomy death will fill your ears. Although the trademark Tiamat sloth like progression and production is to be found. The guitars and beats go to seemingly new lows, but they are always smiling back at you.

Even the look of Tiamat has changed. They are now found to be sporting a very 90'sish Stone Temple Pilots look, cowboy hat and all. Then there is what Johan himself has said about his new turning point and view on life, "I'm no longer young and inexperienced enough not to be touched by what happens in the world right now.......I don't want to be the type of guy who is just spreading a sad and gloomy mood."

This is the most commercial friendly album that Tiamat have recorded to date. As many of you know, the first single off the album is "Vote For Love", and that song is actually quite good. Tiamat shows that even if they are trying to reach a broader audience, that they can do it, and do it in true Tiamat fashion. Then later on you have the song "Angel Holograms" which the intro is reminiscent of Billy Idol and his glory days. While "Heaven Of High" is a very whimsical and happily rolling tune that leaves a smile of wonderment on your face.

Tiamat have never been lyrically strong, but with that hypnotic droning voice that Johan has, it's never really mattered. Here on "Judas Christ" Tiamat entertain you with some lyrics that shy away from death, disease, destruction, hate, and all that good stuff. No, that's not bad, it's great to see a band keep most of their musical talent and style while changing the message of the songs. The lyrics for "Love Is As Good As Soma", and "I Am In Love With Myself" will have you chuckling out loud and actually singing along. I'd love to pass some of the lines along, but I really feel that you have to hear Johan sing them to fully appreciate them.

From start to finish, "Judas Christ" goes from dark to light. The gloom and molasses stays behind more and more while Tiamat climb the proverbial commercial hill to breaking into the mainstream. And by the end of this album, you will either have a new found respect for Tiamat and their collective creative genius, or you will stand back, point, and shout "Judas"!

Rating: 4/5: Tiamat swoop back in with a very commercial yet true to Tiamat album. Don't hesitate to pick this little jewel up. "Judas Christ" is a very worthy Tiamat offering.

-----

As usual...

Spudd

Wild Honey was amazing. But I have enjoyed all their efforts afterwards also.

This album was a bit strange at first, but it really grew on me and I was pleased to get to hear a new side of Tiamat.

Spudd