circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Tides – From Silence EP
Teenage Disco Bloodbath Records – TDB008 – March 12th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

fromsilencewebicon.jpg

After Resurface, I knew Tides would have a difficult time overthrowing their shiny debut, but From Silence doesn’t feel like it’s directly competing with the forerunner. Instead we’re thrilled about being carried out to sea once again through sprawling ambient numbers that pay homage to Isis, though they may not be paying tribute to them intentionally. Nevertheless, the meditative nature of these three songs is perhaps what’s most enrapturing about them, and while this EP isn’t as roaring as the full-length, I can’t deny just how enjoyable it is.

Still an instrumental group, the tracks proposed don’t vary all that much from the material on Resurface. However, “The Sight,” “Unveiled,” and “In Their Arms” begin calmly, making little more than a splash whereas “Resurface” and “Wash Away” crashed down upon the listener. “The Sight” is about five and a half minutes of lonely guitar cries, subtle electronics, and organic drums. While absorbing “The Sight,” my mind creates the following scenario: someone drifting on the ocean on a primitive raft of some sort. The four-minute “Unveiled” has that same Oceanic vibe to it, the drums adopting a tom-centric approach that adds oomph to an otherwise hypnotic tune. The giant of From Silence is the 11-minute closer “In Their Arms.” Featuring the timid, patient instrumentation that conjures sea imagery as well as the earthshaking riffs that Tides are partially known for (4:40), “In Their Arms” shifts back and forth between calm tranquility and seismic disturbance.

All in all, the 20 minutes are great. Each track fares well, and is capable of standing on its own two feet. Those who hold Resurface in high esteem will surely want to grab From Silence, the latter functioning as a stopgap between full-lengths, or perhaps even an Isis substitute. This won’t fill you up, though.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Teenage Disco Bloodbath Records Website