circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Tides – Resurface
Teenage Disco Bloodbath Records – TDB 005 – March 17th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

Tidescoversmall.jpg

Last year, 2005 to be precise, was magnificent for instrumental post-rock. Not only did we see Pelican trouncing about on The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw, but Red Sparowes pitched in At the Soundless Dawn for good measure. As a matter of undisputable fact, when paired together, those two albums are nearly as strong as Hercules. And we can’t forget the several laudable entries into the vocal-heavy Neurosis/Isis sludge/drone/doom/veggie/core subgenre. To get to the point, though, have you ever been swept away by Tides? Has Resurface ever held you under the water and, ironically, rendered you unable to resurface? Either way, this debut is a venerable tour de force that quite possibly upstages everything the above-mentioned bands unleashed this past year.

Fuck bullshit lead-ins; “Resurface,” after a brief fade-in, crashes down upon the listener, swishing and sloshing in all its might. The shrill crescendos are marvelous insomuch as they inject an unbridled sense of restlessness, angst, and rage into an otherwise content number. Once “Resurface” dissipates, however, that’s when Tides are free to explore Isis’s backyard. While “By the Droves” is a spacious, ambient showing, “Aurora” is where the true Oceanic comparisons are warranted. Though I wouldn’t exactly deem this troupe energetic, all six songs on this CD are tantalizing in different ways. I mean, the first five minutes of “Aurora” are basically a focused lead-up to the main riff, which is more than able of supporting its own colossal weight. “Sirens Fade” is quite similar to “By the Droves,” but “Wash Away” eschews the previous ambience in favor of rolling waves, strengthened by the tight, well-produced drums. Take a breath at 3:05, because you’ll be diving under once again at 5:20. Tides knew “Wash Away” would twist and jerk you around more than a Tilt-a-Whirl, so they tossed in “The Other Shore” to ease the disorientation. It’s a beautiful track – possessing a calming effect – and feels like a cool breeze on a hot summer day. That is, it’s welcome relief no matter how temporary.

Sadly, Tides are criminally underrated, and the impact of Resurface was more like a ripple than a heavy-duty splash. Of course the forerunners are the ones to uncover first, but this disc shouldn’t be far behind the others on your shopping list. Even more disheartening than this album’s sales performance is that this mob, according to a few sources, have called it a day. I can neither fully confirm nor fully deny this assertion, as the pertinent official sites have been all but abandoned. In any case, this is a fantastic debut destined to be in your collection. Steal a credit card and order it today!

9/10

Official Tides Website
Official Teenage Disco Bloodbath Records Website

Thank you so much for the wonderful Tides review! Just to clear up a couple quick things, first, while "Resurface" hasn't yet sold thousands of copies, its the first full scale release on my label and its going very well. Considering I don't have the money for tons of advertising, reviews like this have kept online sales slowly rolling in. Second, the band is far from calling it a day! I'm releasing a new EP by them around March that features 3 new songs (clocking in a little over 20 minutes).

Thats all for now, thanks again!
-Jonah/TDB
www.tdbrecords.com