Tiger Woods' press conference

In the great opening words of uncle George Carlin:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5AAy1ojtc&feature=related[/ame]

There's a saying, though I don't know who to attribute it to, that goes something like "People used to be famous because they were special. Now people are special because they are famous."

Woods is clearly special in some sense, but I've never understood why prowess at a game is held in such high regard. I guess golf is still more exciting than watching a truly great surgeon save a patient, or a world class teacher inspire a student.

And if that were majority opinion, you'd never have had to wonder why this thread exists.

it was all a show for the sponsors. if he was honest and was like "yeh, i stick it to every blonde i meet cause im tiger fuckin woods, whatcha gonna do bout it?" nobody would want to pay him lots of money to endorse their crap cause thats not very 'wholesome' or whatever.

well i think he's made a billion dollars, he doesnt have a billion dollars.

he definitely aint hurtin for money, just sayin there's a difference. plenty of pro atheletes have squandered plenty of millions on mansions, cars, crazy investments, divorces, etc. and found themselves broke/not rich.

Even though I like seeing him take some heat, just once in my life I would love to see somebody come out in a public apology and just tell the world to suck it. Just look in the camera and say "I don't give a shit about what any of you think - it's my life and I'll do whatever I want. I'm not accepting any sponsorships or endorsements and I'll earn my money on the course only. If anybody doesn't agree - then that is your problem." Nobody has the guts to do that and say they don't need Oprah or Dr. Phil or any other douchebag to help them seek public approval.

Yea. Along those lines, I'd have so much respect for someone like Tiger who came on tv and said something like: 'Look, I'm addicted to sex. I like sex because it's fun and makes me feel good. I can't control my urges; I don't want to control my urges. I am divorcing my wife because I simply like having sex with beautiful women too much to be faithful to her, which she demands of me'.

Something like that would be great.

On the why people are obsessed with celebrities notion, I'd posit the idea that the "celebrity" has been around for millennia, but the crucial difference is that back then they were quasi-worshipped because they achieved something most couldn't - in essence they had a little taste of immortality or of "God". Somewhere along the line that has become so wholly bastardised that 90% of the population worship fake idols and desire to be like them.

We all know the only one worth of a pedestal is Steven Seagal. And Peter Weller. And Kurt Russell.

I googled up 'Fuck tiger woods' and found this vid; It's a piece of shit, but it still beats the fuck out of pointlessly revolving around the grand dilemma that is a black golfer's sponsorship future:

Last edited by a moderator: