Time Signiture in A Past Beyond Memory?

1Xanadu1

New Metal Member
Oct 16, 2006
I was wondering if any one could help me out with an issuie i was having....in the begenning of A Past Beyond Memory ware it's mainly drums with guitar strokes every once in awile, I can't figure out what time signture it is in. The best I can do is to describe it as a really slow 3/4 bar with the guitars hitting on 1 and 3. But it's really ruff and aquard when i count it that way. Can anybody help me out? Maybe I'm just over thinking it to much, but I'm pretty posative its not in 4/4.

I think it's 7/4. If you count the quarter notes (the first four or five cymbal hits are a good guide for the tempo of the quarter notes) very steadily without letting the backbeat switchup distract you, you can count a solid 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.

Or 1 2 3 4 1 2 3. Whatever works for you.

I could very easily be wrong. Theory is not my strong suit. I think it just feels awkard cause after the first 4 count, he waits an extra 8th note or something before continuing. Definitely throws the listener off. Wicked part, btw, when I first heard the album, this track really stood out.

Yeah i can feel it now! That little eighth note rest that he does defenitly threw me off, thanks alot guys im not to great on theory either so it was bugging me for awile!