Time to sum up it up: greatest metal releases this year 2009

this has been one of the best years for me personally, but then again i dont solely look forward to metal releases.

my top picks are:

between the buried and me - the great misdirect
baroness - the blue album
new kylesa
new converge
code - resplendant grotesque

Universal will be the biggest event of 2010 though, unless Opeth, Tool, Fission, or Vintersorg release new albums.

Rumours has it that this band Fen is something really extraordinary, but i haven't heard a note played by them . . . yet.

I heard Malediction Fields...VERY similar to Agalloch (what means = very Ulver's Bergtatt + Empyrium). Nice anyway but nothing groundbreaking, nothing new at all.

Augury's Fragmentary Evidence is worthy of mention. As a bassist, I really enjoy the album. Also I enjoy bizarre things like Unexpect.

Futures End's Memoirs of a Broken Man is a great album too, great progressive/thrash/heavy metal with Steve di Giorgio on bass. It sounds very fresh, cohesive and technical.

Obscura's Cosmogenesis at first was incredible but it got old really fast for me, excepting some things on bass. Maybe it's too much Cynic/Death/Necrophagist for his own sake.

Immortal's All Shall Fall was very disappointing. Not a bad album but very subpar to their legacy. Sounds more like a collection of b-sides from ATHOW-DIB-SOND than a proper new album. Arctic Swarm is the most enjoyable song. Horgh did an incredible job tho.

Solstafir - Kold
Sarke - Vorunah
Samael - Above
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
Paradise Lost - Faith Divided Us
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Glorior Belli - Meet Us at the Southern Sign
Amorphis - Skyforger
Peste Noire - Ballade cuntre lo Anemi francor
Absentia Lunae - Historia Nobis Assentietvr
Shining - VI

I'm going to say Hypocrisy's and Skyfire's...I'm drawing a blank for what else came out this year, I should know better.

Got around to listening to Malediction Fields the other day- it's alright, but a little too shoegazey for me. I have similar feelings about Agalloch so I guess it makes sense. I'm really, really digging Wodensthrone - Loss right now though.

Aside from that:
Rammstein - Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da
Immortal - All Shall Fall
Absu - Absu
Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
Portal - Swarth
Tyr - By The Light Of The Northern Star
Vader - Necropolis
Wolven Ancestry - Silence Of The Boreal

some good stuff listed, I also will add...

Ensiferum-From afar
Between the buried and me-The great misdirect
Megadeth-Endgame
Slayer-World painted blood
Hypocrisy-A Taste of Extreme Divinity
Arch enemy-The root of all evil
Prince-The lotus flower
Evile-Infected nations
Vreid-Milorg

I was really excited about the new Ensiferum and Immortal albums and I enjoyed both. Other than that nothing really stands out to me. I enjoyed the new Týr briefly, the new Goatwhore, new Stratovarius and the new Wolf album. Checked out but not really enjoyed the new Nile, Megadeth, Vader, Cannibal Corpse offerings... That's about it for me, pretty slow year.