Tips and tricks to get over the 'I suck' period

amarshism

Oct 15, 2008
Brisbane CBD
Stole the thread idea from another forum and made a post that a few people appreciated so i thought I'd post here.

Practice with a metonome most certainly isn't overrated but I agree with most of what Mikey has to say. Theory certainly isn't any harder on piano. Everything is exactly the same pattern in every single octave. Modal theory is a breeze as well and far easier to explain with a piano.

Try working on a new technique when you plateau. Work on string skipping, economy picking, sweeping, alternate picking. Practice different scales. I feel that all of this should be done with a metronome to instil a sense of timing and a base off of which to make rhythmic variation in your lines. It's not the metronme that controls your rhythmic variance but your imagination and creativity to play with it, against it and across it.

Take a break and listen to new music. Listen to old music you used to like. Learn a song start to finish. Not just a riff or lick but all the changes. Study why it works for your ears. Examine the interplay between the bass, rhythm and lead. Is the lead outling the chord, is it modal, is it forming an extended voicing.

Learn something not in your style.

Woodshed. Sometimes you just need to put in the time practicing boring shit. Think of it as weight lifting. You don't do it for a while, can't lift as much. Do you use weightlifting just to lift more weight? Sometimes. Most people use it for sport, appearance, strength. Same goes for technique. Speed is a tool, scales are a tool, gear is a tool, use them with discretion to achieve what YOU hear in your head.

Buy a new piece of gear. It can inspire. It may come to be your favourite gtr, amp, snare, kicks, pedals you will ever own. You may sell it in a week. The point is to absorb as much creativity and inspiration from it as possible. I have tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear. Some of it cost thousands, some pieces a few bucks. The price is irrelevant to the creative value it can have to you. They are tools like your technique and are to serve a purpose. Communication and expression.

A great Joe satriani exercise is to sit down, and for or minute, play a random note on the click of your metronome. Don't follow any rules, patterns, scales, arps. Just hit it clean and try not to repeat. Free yourself temporarily from everything you've learned. It's important to know the rules. Sometimes it's more important to know you can break them. And when. And how.

Listen to someone better than you with appreciation and modesty and humility. The biggest problem holding most people back is ignorance and arrogance, and most of them don't even know it. No matter how good you are there are thousands way better than you. Be your own worst critic!!!

All those are good but here are the broad ones I always practice by.

-Be patient. Nothing is going to come to you instantly.
-Practice as much as possible.
-Don't start practicing with the "I must achieve THIS" mentality. Its the same as "crammming" for an exam. Putting your nose to the grindstone and forcing yourself to learn how to tremolo pick in two hours is a horrible way to practice. Make sure you have the fundaments before you try to act like a guitar messiah.
-For god sakes, relax your right hand! This was by far the biggest thing holding back my guitar playing.

Personally, i think that the "i suck"-period is something talented musicians have, and untalented musicians lack.
At least thats whats driving me to get better every single day: That i think that i suck so bad that i have to get better constantly.

Woodshed. Sometimes you just need to put in the time practicing boring shit. Think of it as weight lifting. You don't do it for a while, can't lift as much. Do you use weightlifting just to lift more weight? Sometimes. Most people use it for sport, appearance, strength. Same goes for technique. Speed is a tool, scales are a tool, gear is a tool, use them with discretion to achieve what YOU hear in your head.

Exactly.

Also... if you don't feel like playing the guitar... grab it and start playing anyway... When you will get all warmed up and jamming on stuff you'll be excited and would not wanna stop playing anymore.

When i'm at work i feel like leaving and going home and play the guitar, but once at home i feel lazy and don't wanna play. I just force myself to grab the guitar and start playing and after a bit when i get warmed up enough and i start playing real stuff i really enjoy it and it's just hard to stop playing and go to bed :)

All those are good but here are the broad ones I always practice by.

-Be patient. Nothing is going to come to you instantly.
-Practice as much as possible.
-Don't start practicing with the "I must achieve THIS" mentality. Its the same as "crammming" for an exam. Putting your nose to the grindstone and forcing yourself to learn how to tremolo pick in two hours is a horrible way to practice. Make sure you have the fundaments before you try to act like a guitar messiah.

+1

Same as workout, reading, learning new languages... stuff takes ages before you can see results... nothing happens overnight.

-For god sakes, relax your right hand! This was by far the biggest thing holding back my guitar playing.

My biggest problem right now, and very hard to beat when you've always been playing/picking strained as fuck.

Personally, i think that the "i suck"-period is something talented musicians have, and untalented musicians lack.

I have to agree with this, I have many friends who in their heads think they are awesome rock gods and are just really are anything but ie they won't realise and work on their flaws.

Genuinely talented people usually acknowledge that there is always more hard work to do and mistakes to correct.

Another one that you kind of touched on is listening to other instruments. I am a drummer, and listening to guitar covers, and piano videos on youtube gets me so inspired and I also get hear the music from a different 'angle'!