Grindcore Production tips&tricks.

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
Hi!

I don't know how many of you guys around here are also producing stuff in the vein of Rotten Sound, Nasum or Gadget, but i was wondering...

This is a totally different beast to mix and produce then any other... in most parts its GOOD to record&mix stuff dirty! While in most other music you would just record stuff as pretty and clean possible right?

So i was wondering if any of you guys producing this kind of music had any tips to share!

Distortions that work nice on vocals, All kinds of Boss HM-2 Use and abuse, best Bassdistortions, lethal amp combinations etc.. etc..!!

I'm allready working on stuff like this, so i don't expect a total "how to mix/record" Grind, but i'm more hoping some of you guys have some cool ideas/ways of mixing and recording stuff you wouldn't mind sharing to give me and possibly alot of other guys on this forum some cool new ideas!

Thanks upfront!

(don't know if this is the right subforum.. so ifnot, feel free to move it..)

Jb!

Fender dual showman + Ds-1 will grind you to mince in seconds! that's the combination Mieszko used with nasum at least on inhale exhale and human 2.0.

I never cut my guitar's low end. there should be a healthy amount of 60hz-> to give some depth. I've found that an sm57 just DON'T work on grindcore style buzzing scandinavian guitars. It just doesn't have the low end. I like to use a rode NTK tubemic with that kinds of guitars. www.myspace.com/afgrund you can check some stuff I've done with this way.

With bass I use the Low notes from the DI tracks and an ultradirty distorted bassamp track. the combination gives a clear pronounced note below 100hz and a dirty middle and high. really ballsy :). It doesn't really have to be a bass amp either! I use the fender dualshowman on bass too!(it actually goes LOOOW)

For vocals I use camelaudio Camelcrusher. really nice distortion! I use it with drums too!

oh yeah. the guitars should be mixed LOUD! /,,/ that you know already hehe :)

hehe. I'm a grind freak too :)

I don't really treat recording grind any different than recording anything else. It's just a question of having an ear for a bands natural sound, which will usually come to the fore no matter what you do.

grind must be dirty but audible too. nasum's human 2.0 was destroyed by the master engineer and there are lots of good riffs there and u can't notice how good they are if you dont listen to it alot of times (like i do) and carefully! I like to hear good riffs and nasum has alot of good riffs but buried in the mix. helvet is pretty good and for me that's a reference for any grind core album. the most of the grind bands had shit productions and i think the genre need a bit more of attention in the recording process of an album but at the same time keeping the dirt, that was what nasum got with helvet. A masterpiece!!!
there is a list of equipament used in that recording in their site, worth reading!

so, keep it dirty and audible!

dirty quality recordings are different than lo-fi... the genre must be powerful not "shitful"

Lo-fi can also mean dirty, not just Concrete Basement C-cassette quality ;)

For grind vocals, try the SimulAnalog SD-1 on them - instant Sverigegrind ;) For guitars, quite a bit of midscooping in the mix. Compress the snare a shitload, and some more :)