Tips For Learning By Ear

Deliverance666

I need money...
Jul 17, 2004
Clearwater, Florida, USA
I haven't been playing guitar for too long (maybe like 2 years), and I haven't really bothered to try to figure out any songs by ear. I'd like to try now so I can learn some songs that I can't find tabs for. Does anyone have any tips that could help me out? Thanks

I have the same problem man.

Most of the time I just get the tabs but every once in awhile ill try to figure out something by ear.

When I try to tab something on my own I usually try to figure out the intervals first.

Listen listen listen. Start with songs you can clearly hear the different notes of and go from there. Humming the notes makes it easier when I get stuck sometimes.

Unless of course you're tone deaf, in which case nothing can help you. :loco:

Play stuff you can learn by ear. It is as simple as that. Start with stuff like Motley Crue and pick up the chords and solos.

Having said that, don't disclude learning things like scales and modes. Yngwie (just an example) plays so freaking fast it is hard to pick out an individual note and Wolf Hoffmann (simply another example) can do so much with one note even in a fast riff that it's hard to figure out the note he is playing.
Use both your ear and some lessons to become a really advanced guitarist.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Having said that, don't disclude learning things like scales and modes. Yngwie (just an example) plays so freaking fast it is hard to pick out an individual note

LOL! Oh man...That is so true. Watching Yngwie's instructional video stuff is like *Plays 6 string arpeggios in 16th notes at 200bpm* "Now you try!"

Back on topic...It really helps to use your voice for ear training. Another useful tool is a keyboard or piano. Play a note on a piano, try to match the pitch, and try and find an interval from that. Play the 2nd note of the interval to check if you came close. After you pick up on that pretty well, move on to learning scales, modes, etc. more thoroughly. After you get scales and such down, sing them or play them without looking at a tab or any kind of sheet music. Not only will this help you with ear transcription, but also with your songwriting ability. I have a limited knowlege as far as music theory goes, but even a little bit will help you a great deal, because at least then you know exactly, or at least have an idea, of what you are doing.

EDIT: When transcribing a song by ear, try and pick up the rhythm first, then it will be easier to find the notes along with a song.

i just drop the song onto my recording software and loop the section i want, trying by educated guess what notes are being played. when i'm sure i have one note (usually a chord's bass or root note) i move on to the next note or guess which chord variation it is, (minor, major, dim, etc). then i repeat this process until i've figured out how to play a few lines, once i've got a section down, i can play along with that section every time it occurs, and at the end it becomes learning the little improvisations that vary from section to section (like a lick that comes up in the 3rd verse). it all starts with finding the all important root note and key. from there, you've got a much smaller set of possibilities to guess.

I'd recommend the Tascam Guitar Trainer. Slows down songs and loops certain parts so you can listen to each n every note. Once u start using it and get a feel of where you want to be on the fretboard when you hear something you wanna figure out, it makes it easier down the road to the point where you might not even need it because your ear will have developed greatly

I tried by simply matching the tone of a note in a slower song and just went from there. You'd be surprised by how easy it actually is, AND how many bands really play the same notes, scales, and riffs. E minor is the stereotypical metal chord...everyone knows that. You can then expect various power chords that don't change very much at all...maybe a ghost chord or something like that...in case you aren't familiar, a ghost chord is simply playing a power chord but skipping a string and muting the skipped string with your left hand. A good song to practice ghost riffing is "Beyond Within" by Nevermore. Very straightforward and repetitive. If you aren't on the correct note, you'll definitely know it. If it's correct, it will resonate with your ear and will sound really fucking nice when you play along to your cds. I just bought "The Guitar Grimoire" book, and it explains a whole lot about theory, scales, chords, modes, etc. I recommend buying it.

make sure you are in tune with the guitarist
learning by ear is like riding a bike it takes practice
get familar with the fret board,
www.harrvester.tk<---- my band