tips for recording an opera singer?

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Hey folks.
so ive got this special task- on wednesday i am going to record an opera singer (not metal related). was wondering if someone has tips to share.. the big challenge i thiink is to record with thr right level. its one take, and the dynamic range of the singing is huge. of course i cant use any compression on input..

anyone did it before?

Don't closemic them like you would a rock singer! You want to get the mic a meter or two away, distance pending I would think on how much of the room you want in there.

you might actually find it easier, when I recorded an opera singer he seemed to have much more control of hisses and plosives! We close miced him and it came out quite good actually, it depends what kind of sound you are looking for!

Distance is an awesome compressor. Use that to your advantage. Just in case just honestly say that "I have never recorded an opera singer before, can we quickly do a short test record". They rarely say "no", unless they are fucking uptight cunts. I heard Tarja Turunen was recorded with a figure 8 mic because she didn't want to use headphones, so they just aimed the blind spot of the fig8 mic to the speaker that was blasting the music next to her face.

Set up and record several microphones, at several distances and polar patterns:
- omni, cardioid, super cardioid, figure eight, ribbon, dynamic, condenser...
- also try different distances like 30cm away, 50cm away, 1m away, 2m away, 3m away, 5m away etc

But important is that you setup, gain stage and test that they are patched correctly BEFORE the singer arrives. I would aim for around -30dB with further mics and -40dB level with closer mics with your voice since the opera singers will most likely blast you away when it comes to sound pressure. Then record a short clip with all the microphones with the singer and ask the singer to come to the control room to listen to the different microphones and then use the one that sounded the best.

If you have a few different opinions what sounded the best, just record all of those and use the one on the recording that fits the mix the best. When you have made your choice, just remove all the other microphones from the room quickly and get down to business. The teardown should take about 1-5 minutes max; Unplug cable, move the mic aside, done.

wow that was blasting! thanks a lot guys. i will sure have to set everything before. i dont have to much options of microphones, we have our noiman and few directional cigars, thats is for vox.. also the room is really smalll, its a vocal booth, but bigger then the standart ones, its like 1X3 meters, and its really absorbing, so i dont think i will be able to get any room sound.
1!
i think i can placethe cigars far, for stereo image maybe, and the noiman just in front, and we will do some distance tests.. i actually quite passionless to try!