Tips on getting that huge KSE-ish sound

Listening to those guitar parts tells you just how much of the weight of a good tight metal tone is carried by the bass.

I usually run one amp for both 100%L/R tracks and a different one for the 75% panned tracks. My recommendation would be a 6505 for the 100% to get that fat sound and a Mesa DR for the 75% for the wideness.

My advice is not to try to get every aspect of the tone from your guitars. The guitars can be pretty thin and very articulate, so long as they have a nice beefy bass tone for the lows.

Didn't read the whole thread but if I didn't miss anything, no one suggested the normal X50... If he want's to keep it free, that would be the way to go imo.

Thanks for the advice guys! :kickass:

Always always keep in mind:

Play like a badass -> sound like a badass.
Adam D plays like a badass & if you don't have that part down 98% already it's only going to be even harder for you to get there with ampsims and impulses.
Chunky playing, really focus on where you mute and how to hit the strings.

Apart from that, +1 to most things mentioned.

Also: post a clip dude, easier to listen to something to be able to tell you what could be improved!

Okay I will when I get some free time, be prepared to have you ears raped.

Listening to those guitar parts tells you just how much of the weight of a good tight metal tone is carried by the bass.

Yes it's staggering tbh. Now I'm worried that if I try to make the guitars sound "heavy" by themselves my final mix will come out sounding boomy and unpleasant.

I don't know if you tried, but when using quad tracking it usually works better for me when one left and right track are lower in volume (the ones that are more panned towards the center). Less phasey but still get the effect. And don't forget that an incredible bass guitar adds more than a lot to those tones.

The new version of Recabinet is going to have a Cobra sim, but you do have to pay for it. Nick Crow's 8505 is a 6505 sim, and the 7170 is a 5150, both free. IMO the TSE is totally, totally worth it. Even if you're recording for fun (I am too), you'll get annoyed when you can't get "that sound" and your stuff sounds worse than everybody else around here, and you'll eventually want to spend enough to get it sound realistic. Just buy it now and be satisfied :lol:

Also worth noting that the isolated guitar tracks from The End of Heartache are on YouTube. They're real as far as I know. Surprisingly mids-dominant, and most of that chunk really comes from a nice, well-eq'd bass. I'd just try the 8505 with a screamer sim in front and the ASEM recto impulses to start.

Just listened to this compared with the actual track(on Youtube...so take that for what it's worth) and it kind of blew me away. Kind of makes me rethink how I EQ my actual guitar sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, "Scooped US Metal":

ht-metal-1-settings-scooped-us-metal.jpg

The playing is not too bad. :)

overall good playing

Thanks duders, but it got real messy at the end and I gave it another shot which came out sounding better. I thought I'd stick to double tracking easier songs first before moving onto to KSE. For some reason I find Children of Bodom songs easier than KSE :guh: I just can't play those heavy down picking riffs to save my bloody life.

Thought I would give it a go at the KSE sound (using the X50):

compared to the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaoKQj1gje4

holy balls it sounds fantastic. Seriously considering getting the X50 now. Amazing playing too :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator: