tips on screaming

the dammed

Mar 8, 2006
www.mutinynet.tk
i find my voice goes really easy when i scream and i get a sore throat so any tips on keeping power in your voice but also singing like slipknot/pantera

drink hot tea with honey in it, thats what the vocalist for my band does... drink before, during and after, also cough drops for sore throughts or antiseptic sprays are good, but tea is best tasting and much better... also you might be doing it wrong, make sure your technique is right or else your setting your self up for a world of hurt

First off, if it hurts your throat or you need to do a bunch of unnecessary rituals before and after..you are doing it completely wrong. My suggestion is if you have the money available..go out and get proper vocal lessons..this will teach you proper technique, posture, vocal maintenance, diaphragm use, and so on and so forth..from there you should be able to experiment with what is being taught in these lessons and apply it to screaming. I know most of you reading this probally think this is a bunch of bullshit..but to be honest most lead singers in metal, no matter how trashy looking or how much of a tough guy front they put on, have had vocal training in some form.

Or I would suggest looking online for diaphragm excercises, voice building, as well as other vocal excercises...and teach yourself through what you find there.

check out "the zen of screaming" made by melissa cross..its kind of an at home lesson book for ya. It can get really boring but pay attention to the breathing that they do and how she explains the "fire" in the voice. Keep those 2 things in mind and you will be punishing people without pain.

lycanthropyhowl said:
drink hot tea with honey in it, thats what the vocalist for my band does... drink before, during and after, also cough drops for sore throughts or antiseptic sprays are good, but tea is best tasting and much better... also you might be doing it wrong, make sure your technique is right or else your setting your self up for a world of hurt

Do NOT use honey - it softens the vocal cords. Hot tea (decaffienated preferred) or hot water will do you well enough as it relaxes the vocal cords and hydrates your body.

Also, avoid antiseptic/anesthetic sprays. The alcohol not only dries out the surface of the vocal cords, it dries them out internally, as well.