To C24 or Not to C24

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
Hi guys, Im saving up to get a C24 and started to thibk about all the other odds and ends I need still for my studio. So maybe with some of you guys giving some input, I can make a better choice. First I was thinking of the C24 cause my partner had the old Digidesign one with the Focustrite pre in them. So mixing was a blast, all the command built into it help my work flow and it was a wow factor when artist came in. So that the main reason I want one. On the other hand I need to buy a good Comp, 1176 or EMPIRICAL LABS. Plus a few more BLA 12a Pres (API 312) clone. Plus stands, mics etc. So just wanted to get your guys take on it. Thanks.

I've used 'em. But in my humble opinion, there's no way I'm spending $10,000 on a GOD DAMN FUCKING GIANT MOUSE. If you've already got some good pre's, and need some other things, take a pass on the C|24. I'm pretty sure every single person here would say grab a pair of distressors, a couple pre's, and a bad-ass vocal mic, and whatever else you need.

I've done sessions at two or three places with C|24's and D-commands and such. I never touch the things.

Great boards and like you said fun to work on. I'd definitely take in consideration that ProTools 10 is the last version the CONTROL 24 will be officially supported on. The same goes for Command 8 and Pro Control... The C|24 isn't mentioned on the FAQ below however.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=419131

"As we move forward, please be aware of the following:

Pro Tools 10 will be the final feature release for Pro Tools|HD TDM systems.
Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
192 I/O, 192 Digital I/O, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, SYNC (original "blue"), SYNC HD (original "blue"), MIDI I/O, 003 family, Mbox 2 family, Control|24, Command|8, Pro Control
Please note that we will continue to offer software updates and address issues for legacy hardware for the foreseeable future."

The Control24 has made my life so much easier!
And I'm not even using the pres... I'm also not using the knobs to set my plugin eqs et (I prefer a mouse for that), but having those faders helps immensely and saves loads of time.

Whoever is actually paying $10K for a C24 is getting hosed.

You can grab the C24 all day for a little over $7K, and the Control 24 for around $2500 (which is fine for a control surface + "wow" factor).

Support dropped for control 24? Does that also mean c24? I'm confused Tim.

Take a look at the avid mix series if you're just interested in the daw control.

To quote
'Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
192 I/O, 192 Digital I/O, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, SYNC (original "blue"), SYNC HD (original "blue"), MIDI I/O, 003 family, Mbox 2 family, Control|24, Command|8, Pro Control'

It does not say c|24. Or are you saying they're the same thing in terms of support being dropped?

Your right the c|24 is not mentioned on the FAQ. The OP mentioned the Control 24 with the Focusrite pres and that's what triggered my response. I'll correct my original response to clarify this.

No the op stated c24 twice. It's even in the thread title. Twice. I'll have to wait and see if support will continue for the c24 whilst considering a purchase. I trust it integrates well with all the waves bundles?

It's no supported officially after PT10.
That doesnt necessarily mean it won't work with PT11 or 12

Hmm. Typically with Avid, that is in fact what it does mean. We've got a bunch of Mbox 1's sitting around here, not doing anything because they dropped support for them.

I wouldn't risk it personally.

The Control24 has made my life so much easier!
And I'm not even using the pres... I'm also not using the knobs to set my plugin eqs et (I prefer a mouse for that), but having those faders helps immensely and saves loads of time.

This. We picked one up for $2500 (older Control 24) and it's in near-new condition. No scratches on it.

I do use the knobs for plugin tweaking, and it's pretty awesome. There's something to be said for having 24 faders in front of you. Show me a mouse that can move multiple faders at one, while doing automation rides.

I prefer the older Control 24 over the C24 only due to the ergonomics of the board. I don't use the monitoring, as I've been told it's shit and we have a PreSonus Central Station (if this isn't correct, let me know, so I can cell the CS! haha). The C24 has some nice features the Control 24 doesn't have, but it's not a deal breaker.

Hmm. Typically with Avid, that is in fact what it does mean. We've got a bunch of Mbox 1's sitting around here, not doing anything because they dropped support for them.

I wouldn't risk it personally.

Yeah, but read carefully, it's a difference when they say "it's not supported anymore" and "it's not OFFICIALLY supported anymore".
One means "it won't work", the other one means "we won't update drivers, software etc"