To-Mera demo reviews

Lee_B

Readin' me posts are ya?
May 16, 2001
Surbiton. The Posh bit
www.elitistrecords.co.uk
Here's the Imperiumi review!

--

I've found a goddess! After leaving the hungarian progmetalband Without Facesta, Julie Kiss (just think about the last name) has found new musicians around her, and this line-up called To-Mera now gets their first demo out. One of the members is a certain Lee Barret, who is known to many as the legendary talent scout of Candlelight and Elitist. For the rest the name Extreme Noise Terror should ring a bell.

Thought Julie Kiss's sugary looks gives the band lots of symphathy points, the quartet is also musically strong. Traces can be heard from The Gatheringista to Meshuggahiin and all the more or less melodic metal in between. To-Mera don't bound themselves to metal category only, as the first song Dreadful Angel also jazzes very plausibly. It's actually impossible to find straight comparisons for this multinational band, for they won't stay in one style of expression for more than a minute straight.

The kindred spirits for this crossover act can be found from the boundary-breaking groups like Pain of Salvationin, Devin Townsendin and The Dillinger Escape Planin but I'd say the To-Mera scale is even wider. Admitted thought, that the musical twisting and turning goes to extend of being the first priority at times, but at the same time the musical hooks smash deeper into the listeners face. Even though the base of the band lies in not choosing any particular style, I'm surprised if the band don't get signed soon. Demo 2005 is interesting, bold, tasteful and working two song specimen of skill, even without the music-wise exterior sugar coat.

--

Fuck that was hard :D The finnish journos make their reviews into works of art themselves. Antti, if your reading this I'm sorry for the bad translation :devil:

Heh, I thought that was a really good translation! I'm serious! Don't know about the original review being a work of art though... However, the demo was a really enjoyable listen - respect!! It's actually the demo of the month at www.imperiumi.net!

I found a review on Rockbeast.com:
Rockbeast said:
To-Mera

1. Dreadful Angel
2. Born of Ashes

The metal scene has thrown up a number of surprises this year, Opeth released a new album which for me totally changed the face of Opeth, Candlemass reformed and released probably one of the top 3 albums of 2005, Leaves' Eyes released their second album, bringing history to life with their music and Within Temptation finally released The Silent Force officially in the UK with Roadrunner Records and Iron Maiden took on the Ozzfest. There was obviously a lot more than just that but they are highlights that stood out to me, right up until a few days ago that is.

Twang from TotalRock kept telling me to check out this band, I finally gave into temptation one night and had a listen to the two tracks that To-Mera had to offer on their Myspace profile. I was expecting an average operatic female fronted goth band, how wrong I was, my jaw hit the floor as Born to Ashes started blasting out of my speakers. This is no operatic female fronted band, its a blend of progressive metal madness, fronted by one of the most beautiful harmonic voices of metal, Julie Kiss.

Although I've only heard two tracks, this band already is in my top 3 for this year, its new and its addictive.

To-Mera are a real breath of fresh air, combining the progressive styles of Opeth with blistering guitar riffage along the lines of Dillinger Escape Plan, the jazzy interlude styles of Ephel Duath and even a touch of folk reminiscent of Leaves' Eyes style on Vinland Saga. There is some thing for everyone in these tracks, from fast paced guitar and blast beating carnage to relaxed melodic ambient soundscapes and all blended with the exceptional voice of Julie Kiss.

Whats really interesting about this band is its not a super group of well known musicians, yet they still manage to produce music that in my opinion is ground breaking and sets new standards and rules for 2005.

The diversity is beyond anything done this year apart from maybe Opeth's latest release, the music blends and flow well, everything sounds well polished and nothing sounds out of place. What's really hard to believe is these tracks were recorded at The Peel (My regular place of drinking) In a rehearsal studio with a laptop, now thats metal! Obviously it was mixed else where, France to be exact but if you listen to the sound quality and production, you really couldn't tell that this wasn't recorded in one of the more well known studios of the world.

This band makes me question the standards of metal for the past few years, if 4 people can walk into a rehearsal room of a local pub with a laptop and produce music to the quality that they have, why in the hell are some of the huge signed names of the scene producing generic and mundane music?

To-Mera are part of the future for the metal scene, I really hope a lot more bands follow in their footsteps and stop being afraid of experimenting with their sounds.

In the mean time though, everyone check out this band if you have an open mind to music, if your an Opeth, Dillinger Escape Plan or Ephel Duath fan, this is right up your street and your time will certainly not be wasted.

If you want to hear To-Mera or check out what's going on with this band at the moment, drop by http://www.myspace.com/tomeraband and say hey.

Windom Pearl said:
Here's the Imperiumi review!

--

I've found a goddess! After leaving the hungarian progmetalband Without Facesta, Julie Kiss (just think about the last name) has found new musicians around her, and this line-up called To-Mera now gets their first demo out. One of the members is a certain Lee Barret, who is known to many as the legendary talent scout of Candlelight and Elitist. For the rest the name Extreme Noise Terror should ring a bell.

Thought Julie Kiss's sugary looks gives the band lots of symphathy points, the quartet is also musically strong. Traces can be heard from The Gatheringista to Meshuggahiin and all the more or less melodic metal in between. To-Mera don't bound themselves to metal category only, as the first song Dreadful Angel also jazzes very plausibly. It's actually impossible to find straight comparisons for this multinational band, for they won't stay in one style of expression for more than a minute straight.

The kindred spirits for this crossover act can be found from the boundary-breaking groups like Pain of Salvationin, Devin Townsendin and The Dillinger Escape Planin but I'd say the To-Mera scale is even wider. Admitted thought, that the musical twisting and turning goes to extend of being the first priority at times, but at the same time the musical hooks smash deeper into the listeners face. Even though the base of the band lies in not choosing any particular style, I'm surprised if the band don't get signed soon. Demo 2005 is interesting, bold, tasteful and working two song specimen of skill, even without the music-wise exterior sugar coat.

--

Fuck that was hard :D The finnish journos make their reviews into works of art themselves. Antti, if your reading this I'm sorry for the bad translation :devil:

Cheers for taking the time to do that marko. Much appreciated!

And thanks for the review Antti!