To the 2 people who left towels on their seats most of the night ....

You are making my point for me. The more the case of "...each group of people who want to enjoy the show together...", the more empty seats there are that solitary "assholes" can't sit in. There isn't enough room on the floor for those that have to stand to offset all the people outside looking for something to eat or making runs back and forth to the hotel (not to worry, they'll be right back). But, ok, ok, I give. I have enough arrows in me for now.

Why does anything think that there's not enough space between the floor and the seats to accommodate everyone? That one is truly baffling.

The whole "don't be an asshole" policy was referring to the unpolite people who would take pillowcases and bedsheets, drape them across a section of seats, and then take off for the floor or the signing sessions. So, yeah... if you're going to do that, you're in direct violation of said policy. :)

One person saving a seat for another shouldn't be an issue. One person saving a seat for 4 people? Not cool. A bedsheet saving a row? No.

I'm not an advocate for restricting speech, but I think Glenn should close this thread, much like he did the Jon v. Daniel thread. Everyone has made their point, and anything else that can be added is simply redundant, and only inflames tensions.

The whole "don't be an asshole" policy was referring to the unpolite people who would take pillowcases and bedsheets, drape them across a section of seats, and then take off for the floor or the signing sessions. So, yeah... if you're going to do that, you're in direct violation of said policy. :)

One person saving a seat for another shouldn't be an issue. One person saving a seat for 4 people? Not cool. A bedsheet saving a row? No.

Exactly why I started this thread to point out why I did what I did(and in a sadistic way hoping one of the douchbags would out himself ,that might have happened in the cheers and jeers thread,though could have been a troll post)
Those 2 seats tha had the towels on then were unoccupied for most of the night except for overkill..
Saving a seat for bathroom,beer,or a snack I doubt anyone has a problem with

This thread has become a 3 alarm tire fire but for the wrong reasons so yeah,maybe it should be locked

Ok, maybe I'm not done yet. Cool, then tell me what your "reasonable balance" is. How many seats can I save and for how long can I save them?

It doesn't actually matter. It doesn't need to be (and indeed, cannot be) specifically defined. If we read the letter of the rule in the strictest fashion, you are right. Only an ass saves a seat. Absolutely nothing else technically saves a seat. But in practice, the non-specific, unscientific, "don't be an asshole" commandment, if followed, will basically make things work smoothly. Despite the fact that different people may interpret it in somewhat different ways.

I mean, really... no one who wants to sit down is running around aggressively targeting the seat of someone's spouse who went to the bathroom. If you sit in a seat that doesn't have an ass in it, and no one objects, you're fine... whether you had to move a bag or not in order to sit there. If people later return and want to reclaim those seats, you're well within your rights to refuse. But in practice, a fair percentage of people will just move, because they really don't care that much (or were planning on leaving or moving to the floor or going to the bathroom or getting a beer soon anyway).

If you try to sit in a seat right next to someone, and they say they're saving that seat for their spouse, you are once again correct... technically, you have every right to tell that person to fuck off, and remain in that seat. However, in practice, most people (I'm guessing even you) don't want to spend the next several minutes or hours right next to someone who's seething with anger or resentment... especially when there are plenty of other seats that are either empty or have completely unattended bags or towels on them, that you can easily sit in.

This is a medium-sized venue, not a huge arena, but it's still big enough that in aggregate if everyone just does a quick 2-second self-check every now and then to make sure they haven't accidentally crossed the line into "being an asshole" territory, everything will settle into a nice equilibrium.

It's also a testament to how friendly the overall atmosphere of the fest is that despite the very strong disagreements that people obviously have over this issue, no major fights or conflicts have occurred over 14 years (unless there was something I don't know about at some point).

All I know is, I'm glad I like to be on the floor, so I don't have to get involved in the Seat Wars! :)