to those from Finland

ShadeGrown

Electronic Circuits
Oct 19, 2001
Istanbul
what is the place/city Turku related to? to Turk?

and... if you know from your history, where is the motherland of the Finns? (I mean before the Finland, ...where did your descents come from?) Central Asia?, Siberia?

thanks...

I don't think that the name Turku is related to Turkey. It was found by swedes who were catholic and hence they didn't like turks who were either muslims or unorthodox. Of course I cannot be sure.

I think our forefathers came from eastern europe. Our language is quite alike with Hungary so I guess some of us are from that area.

I think our forefathers came from eastern europe. Our language is quite alike with Hungary so I guess some of us are from that area.

hmm, Magyar/Hungarians is actually from central asia, and the name Hungarian comes from central asian tribe HUN (its said us in school that HUNs were Turkish tribe), (and we have some name similarties with Magyars, for ex: Attila/Atilla is the name of the leader of HUNs who conquered eastern and central Europe at around 450s bla bla)(and in some our highschool history books, its written that Magyars are mixture of Fin-Ogur tribe and Turks' On-Ogur tribe)

Dont you have that kind of history lessons, like Great Finn History etc., in your highschools?

We, the Finns, originate from Ural, just as the Hungarians. Finns and Turks are not related in any way - the Finns and Hungarians were already separated when the Hungarians and Turks were mixed. That is taught to every Finn in school, but it appears many of us have forgotten it... ;)

About Turku, my history-student friend explained the meaning to me once, but I can't recall it now. Anyway, I BELIEVE it is ancient finnish and means something like "castle" or "city" - or I might be wrong by lightyears...

-Villain

Originally posted by Villain
We, the Finns, originate from Ural, just as the Hungarians. Finns and Turks are not related in any way - the Finns and Hungarians were already separated when the Hungarians and Turks were mixed. That is taught to every Finn in school, but it appears many of us have forgotten it.

Our history teacher didn't tell us that! That's it! I'm gonna sue!