Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Today is the Day – Kiss the Pig
Relapse Records – RR 6619-2 – June 29, 2004
By Nathan Pearce

todayistheday-kissthepig.jpg

The early buzz on the latest release from Today is the Day was that it was the most ferocious, blackened, and hateful album they’ve ever made.

It is . . .

I could end the review there and pretty much every fan of the band would be all over Kiss the Pig, but I suspect long-time followers of Steve Austin and his merry men of murderous musicians don’t need to read a single review to know that they need every second of music this band has ever recorded in their collection.

So what exactly does the most hateful, brutal, and extreme album from Today is the Day sound like? Imagine In the Eyes of God blackened mayhem and the truly frightening, brutal moments of Sadness Will Prevail, and magnify everything about those moments. Drums blaze and explode in a frenzy of blast-beats mostly unknown to Today is the Day throughout most of their career. Guitars are as inventive and creative as always, but this time around think of what Steve Austin could do if his sole intention was to grind the hell out of his strings. The bass is always a delight on releases from this band; Steve Austin is always good about giving ample room to his musical cohorts to experiment and even lead the songs, instead of simply letting the guitars take the lead. The vocals? 99.9% screams and roars that Steve Austin should patent, if he hasn’t already. Simply sick, sick, sick vocals.

Don’t get me wrong, though. Kiss the Pig might be the fastest, most extreme, and most hateful album Today is the Day has ever recorded, but that doesn’t mean any of the usual trademarks are missing. The riffs on this album are quite simply some of the best the band has ever recorded. As mentioned earlier, the bass and drums are given plenty of room to operate. This has always been a huge asset for the band. Steve Austin’s sense of songwriting goes way beyond any ego he might or might not have. I actually get the feeling that Satan himself has traveled back to the 70’s and taken a major dose of the free-for-all experimentation of that era when I’m listening to Today is the Day.

Kiss the Pig is murderous in every way (hell . . . the booklet consists of Austin and the gang aiming, shooting, and downright loving the guns they hold in the photos). However, like every album from this band, there is a deep, dark meaning behind the homicidal music. Kiss the Pig has a very serious and stark message for the listener. You don’t really think Steve Austin is a homicidal maniac do you? Do you?

10/10

Today is the Day’s Official Website
Relapse Records’ Official Website