Today is the Day VS Relapse Records

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
TODAY IS THE DAY founder Steve Austin has posted the following message on the band's official SMNnews.com hosted message board (NOTE: The following message has been edited since posted, in which almost all content has been removed. See the posting at this location.):

"hi TODAY IS THE DAY fans and friends,

the talk of what label we will be on has been coming up and i wanted to set the record straight on our plans. we know that TODAY IS THE DAY means alot to you and we wanna keep you informed.......

there will be a full-length announcement on the home page of the www.todayistheday.org website concerning our label deals later this week.

we signed with relapse records in 1998 for 4 records. we gave them 3 full length cd's, a double album, and an ep. way more than our contact called for. we have wanted to be off of relapse records since 1999, and have been on the label against our will since then. kiss the pig finalizes our contract and we are free.

we have been offered several deals by lables that we dig that are based on integrity and honesty. some big and some small...we are also going to release supernova, willpower, and self-titled cd's and live dvd's on our own label, supernova records.

we appreciate the hard work that key people did that worked for relapse, but most of those folks have moved on and we are not down with the relapse scene at all, anymore......we created it and have been the cornerstone of integrity for this label.....

------------- was the founder of the label with ------------ as a partner. the label only had NEUROSIS and AMORPHIS when we went into partnership with them and got their fledgling label off the ground.

soon bands like SOILENT GREEN and THE UNSANE signed on and the ball was rollin'....

later in 1999, ------------ was pushed out of the picture by a little man, with a very small mind and penis, named ------------ at relapse records. so, it goes the quality and the integrity with the changing of the guard at what was once a home for underground driven music.

now, it's all about bullshit and personal vendetta's being fulfilled by little monkeys, like ------------.

notice how there are like "2" bands that exist on relapse and the rest of the roster gets treated like a bunch of start-up kid bands with no promotion.....

the artists like TODAY IS THE DAY, get nothing while a corporation grows bigger and bigger......

pushing safer and safer music that is accessible and will play on radio and mtv.

we wish the best to all of the great artists on relapse records and hope they all get a good lawyer to help resolve any of them ever getting paid for anything they have done while on relapse records......

after 4 albums, 1 ep and appearing on 4 dvd's for relapse records, today is the day has never recieved one penny for anything we have made for the label.

but, we are not special because from knowing alot of the other bands on this label, that are leaving, no one else has either. only the monkeys behind the computer screens in the office have been paid and paid well...

you have seen us on the cover of metal maniacs because we are friends with the people who run the mag. we asked if we could be on it. you have seen our videos on uranium. the label couldn't even send the videos to uranium....i guess there were "problems" with shipping.....anyways, we are friends with uranium too, and they play our videos because they want to.....we supply them...

so, as you can see we have been totally diy all the way. the only thing relapse has done for us is put a logo of their label on our records and make money off of us.........

don't be fooled by bullshit kids......

there is no "team".....

the underground is real. it's just not what you might think it is....there is a lot of shit to make 1 think, wow this is soooo cooool.....well, if making music from your heart is what you wanna do and you want people to hear it, you don't need a "cooool" record label to put it out on......

more than likely, you'll tour for them for hundreds of shows and the cash will go into their pockets, financing sick cars and nice homes.....while you and your family struggle just to make ends meet.......

again, we are very happy to be free and make "axis of eden" be the way we want it to....no censorship, no bullshit, just real music and words the way that we mean it.

support the good bands on relapse and any other label for that matter.

we play music because we want to. i have a job to make a living with called engineering and i don't play my songs to get paid. i play them because they are in my heart and i have to let them be heard.....

thanks to everyone who has supported TODAY IS THE DAY.

also, please note that the sadness will prevail and live till you die combo, is not our idea. it is a money making scheme to sell more records by relapse. also, they will keep putting out dvd's and records of our's without our approval, due to loopholes and contract crap.

we do not approve of any other releases including all of the contamination, recollection dvd's........that again we have never been paid 1 dime for. don't buy the shit, they are just using you for a paycheck.

remember today is the day and your favorite bands will get none of the money you plunk down for those releases.

be smart, download it.....

thanks!
steve austin
TODAY IS THE DAY

"axis of eden" spring 2006."

(Disclaimer: Names have been removed at the label's request)

there are still good bands like pig destroyer
but a lot had wanted to get away for a while, nasum, had been a bit miffed with their situation there for a while

I used to try and hear every release on the label but I've seriously lost interest with a lot of the latter stuff

I think its a case of the label name being more important than the band
becoming a brand name, like earache did

Notice 3 of the last four Neurosis releases have been on the band's own Neurot label, and not Relapse. Hmmmmm.......

As far as the label today, it's nothing special, but I like a few of the bands. Other than Nile, Mastodon and DEP, I rarely ever see much marketing from them. Hell, Unsane got zero promotion.

I said something to that affect on the Relapse board about a year ago, and one of the moderators replied saying how Relapse was the only reason all those other bands were even around. I then told everybody to buy their Relapse stuff from Willowtip, since its cheaper.

J. said:
Notice 3 of the last four Neurosis releases have been on the band's own Neurot label, and not Relapse. Hmmmmm.......

As far as the label today, it's nothing special, but I like a few of the bands. Other than Nile, Mastodon and DEP, I rarely ever see much marketing from them. Hell, Unsane got zero promotion.

thier promotion over in the uk seems as good as any other label of that size
but thats mostly terrorizer I suppose and they do seem to feature the bands J mentions the most since they are the biggest sellers they promote them more

I think Neurosis are still releasing stuff in europe through them
but I think at this stage they'd be financially better off just doing it themselves they have everything in place already
relapse would probably still be demanding heavy touring off them which they're not into doing anymore

as far as bands go relapse won't even look at you unless youre prepared to tour like fuck (a fair percentage of labels are like this)
which is where most of an albums promotion is generated

"one of the moderators replied saying how Relapse was the only reason all those other bands were even around"

well thats just balls
it may be the reason they're a bit more visible,

....however maybe some bands have formed just to try and get on relapse...
how artistically sad would that be?

but if he means bands like brutal truth , pig destroyer, nasum , cephalic carnage, halo , unsane, today is the day etc then - what a twat

He probably did name names at first, but then had to edit them out due to some Relapse guy whining to his lawyer.