Today is the Day's Steve Austin

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Interview by Nathan Pearce

After reinventing black metal with In the Eyes of God, Steve Austin (the leader of the insanity known as Today is the Day) set out to reinvent everything we have come to know about extreme progressive music with the release of Sadness will Prevail. I thought it would only be fitting, to understand such a monstrous piece of work, to go to the source of the maelstrom. Steve Austin, and his music, has always been an enigma to me, and after a brief email interview, I can’t say I’ve come to understand his genius much more. Isn’t that the sign of a true artist, though? Steve Austin is ahead of his time, and those of us lucky enough to hear his music can only hope to enjoy it . . . comprehension is out of the question.

Sadness Will Prevail is much slower and more subtle (at times) than albums in the past. Were you trying to create a much more drawn out intensity?

Just trying to capture different emotions and feelings besides the speed and chaos bullshit that everyone is into right now. Our last album re-invented black metal and speed, so to do something different we slowed things down and went heavier.

Was there any particular event that caused you to create this type of album?

Yes, the destruction of my life. The last 3 years have been a hellish and insane ride. I almost committed suicide 3 or 4 different times.

Sadness Will Prevail, as an album title, seems very bleak and pessimistic, but after a few listens to the entire album, I feel a sense of catharsis. Are you trying to pull the listener down into hell, or release him/her from hell?

Both. Looking inside every dark and fucked up place within one's soul. Looking outside to see the beauty and magick that is all around us. Sometimes we are blinded by one or the other.

Sadness Will Prevail seems to flow as one gigantic piece of art - very complex, but still cohesive (sort of). Even the songs listed on the back of the CD are all grouped together in one jumbled list. Was this sort of "flow" your intent?

Yes, it is intended to all run together as one piece. Individual songs don't matter as much as the whole body of the record.

Your guitar work on Sadness is even more insane than in the past. Do you have to try to be so otherworldly with the instrument, or is it something that has just happened over time?

I just play the way I feel. I don't wanna sound like anybody else on planet earth. The feeling and ideas that come to me are from within . . . I just let them escape.

Has the introduction of Chris Debari and Marshall Kilpatric into the band benefited you or inspired you, or are they simply there to contribute to the chaos in any way they can?

They are here to destroy!!

Today is the Day toured with Motorhead and Morbid Angel a short time ago. Will we be able to see the band on any other high profile tours any time soon?

I hope so. The louder and bigger the better, as far as I am concerned. MOTORHEAD is the coolest fuckin' band in the world!!!

How does the crowd at a Motorhead concert react to a band like yours?

Great, because usually a lot of their audience consists of real people . . . Bikers, Gas Station workers . . . the real people of America. Not a bunch of sissy suburban posers. The real crowd. I think they understand our Reality.

Do you feel there is a certain crowd that flocks to your shows?

Yes, the fucked up, the black sheep, the outlaws, the people who don't take shit from anyone and can actually use their mind and imagination.

If you could tour with anybody right now, who would it be?

King Crimson. They are the most powerful musical band on the planet.

Many publications, including sources outside of metal, have covered Today is the day. Do you ever expect to see success on a more mainstream level, or is your music too far ahead of it's time (not to mention too insane)?

It just may be too ahead of it's time. Sadness Will Prevail is almost a Prog-Rock album, and most kids today are into the fast, straight up death metal bullshit. I love death metal, but we are a way deeper listen than your typical easy-to-understand cookie monster vox
band.

You recorded, mixed, and produced the album by yourself. How much time does such a huge project take?

Three years to write and six months to record, mix, and master.

Do you have any other producing and/or engineering projects planned in the future? You did some stuff for Lamb of God . . . right?

Yes, I love Lamb of God . . . I am always working with cutting edge artists at Austin Enterprise Recording and Mastering. We just recently added a DVD authoring division to the studio. So, I am super thrilled about the whole DVD age in the studio.

It's clear you're a multi-talented guy. Do you consider yourself this way, or are you the type that contributes your success to hard work and perseverance?

I have worked very hard throughout the years. Trying to stay original, to be creative. To re-invent what Today is the Day is all about. One just has to be true to their art and never give in!!

With an album like Sadness under your belt and a career in the recording/producing industry, what is left to accomplish?

There is a whole world of creativity to still be had. So many ideas, so many songs and rhythms in my head. I really think that DVD is gonna be a thing where every artist’s CD will contain CD-ROM type graphics or animation. I wanna be at the forefront in this field.

Any final comments or hints at what the hell is going on inside your head.

Just trying to deal with life and the task of making it in this world. We have come a long way, and I just wanna keep on Destroying the Mainstream!!!!

Thanks!
Steve Austin

www.todayistheday.org
www.austinenterprise.com

If you could tour with anybody right now, who would it be?

King Crimson. They are the most powerful musical band on the planet.
I can picture myself following this tour around for years on end, like a headbanging, mindfucked Deadhead.