Today's CD mail delivery

Chromatose

Squid pro quo
Apr 5, 2002
Maryland
all stuff I've had mp3s of , but good albums require purchases.

so.

SYL - SYL , of course gotta have the actual albums to get the full effect of devy's stuff, hear all the detail.
Travis' art always impresses, intense stuff on the inside of the front and back of the booklet. The first one creeps me the hell out.....

also Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
I haven't been able to appreciate any other of PoS's stuff nearly as much as this one. .. I hear a lot of Mike Patton in Gildenlow, and geoff tate too. Can't go wrong with that combo of influences.

Porcupine Tree - Stars Die.
2 CDs of selections from their first 5 albums, plus some unreleased stuff. Since I didn't have any of those albums yet, this is a cheaper alternative, since the songs I liked are covered in this one anyway.
But the packaging, just a box, with book and cd sleeves sitting inside, wtf? I like cases.

all recommended purchases.

SYL-

strappingyounglad.jpg

I've come to deal with porcupine tree being in a double cd case sized box, because the booklet is way thick and full of stuff to read.

They are like layed back prog rock. Not bad stuff. The new one has some tool influences. You should be able to find In Absentia (the new one) just about everywhere because they were signed to Atlantic.

hope this helps

"Remedy lane" is an incredible disc. Listening to it right now, actually. My favorite Pain of Salvation (and favorite album ever) is "The Perfect Element Pt. 1".

I love Porcupine Tree, but I don't really care for much of "Stars Die". I consider myself mostly a post-"Signify" fan.

Originally posted by Soul of Ice
They are like layed back prog rock. Not bad stuff. The new one has some tool influences. You should be able to find In Absentia (the new one) just about everywhere because they were signed to Atlantic.

hope this helps

This is rather misleading. "Strip The Soul" sounds a bit like Tool (I hate that song)... but the heavy angular riffs that appear in some songs are really influenced by Opeth (as stated by Steven Wilson himself). And to call Porcupine Tree's music laid-back is really doing it an injustice. It can be relaxing ane mellow at times... but there is also a lot of tension and darkness in much of the music.