Tom Waits

panzerfaust666

German Asshole
Feb 24, 2007
Kelowna,B.C. Canada
When I first eyed over the Tom Petty thread,I thought it said TOm waits.
But sadly, It didnt.

So here it is.

Any fans of tom Waits?Specific albums,songs?

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tf17PlTsc_s[/ame]

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7VDTa7uXUp4&feature=related[/ame]

he is an incredible poet as well.

I can't stomach all of his stuff but he definitely is an amazing artist. I actually tend to lean towards his newer material (Real Gone, Orphans).

One of the greatest song writers and lyricists of our time. I reccomend "Rain Dogs"(1985)"Mule Variations"(2001) and my most appreciated, his debut "Closing Time." There's so many excellent records he composed. Mr. Waits is an aquired taste, my friend.

Oh MAN! It's so awesome that metalheads like Waits. He's one of the most innovative artists around today.

-Closing Time
-The Heart of Saturday Night
-Rain Dogs
-Heart Attack and Vine
-Real Gone
-Mule Variations

Fuck, I'd recommend any album, but his sound took a real shift with Rain Dogs. Before that he was more blues/jazz oriented. I think Rain Dogs saw him into the height of his avant-garde/percussive phase. Still, it's all fuckin' great music.

Check out the song "Murder in the Red Barn."

Interesting, I seem to have acquired many of his lesser regarded albums. I own Swordfishtrombones, Alice, The Black Rider and Blood Money. I don't like the last two (weird for the sake of weird) but I like Swordfishtrombones and Alice. The title track 'Alice' is just one of the most beautiful songs ever.

This might help some to be able to understand the depth and songwriting skills of Mr. Waits. On his debut is the song "Ol 55" listen to it, and then listen to the cover of that song by "The Eagles"(who's version propelled this song to massive popularity). You will/should be able to hear the differences. The original is miles ahead of the cover, and if you remember The Eagles were maybe the most popular band at that particular time. Explain that to me.

Tom Waits is, in my opinion, one of the best singer-songwriters around today. A few albums of his that I like would be Mule Variations and Blood Money.