Toms Triggering - Problems with Overheads

Deathlef

The God That Failed
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Hey,

my band is currently preparing for some recording sessions. In the past we got a decent sound (nothing special, but for our purpose enough). You can hear it here: http://utopian-dream.fackelmeer.de/countdl.php?did=6 (watch out, it's 36 mb).

As you can hear, the tom sound isn't that convincing. We only used a sample to enhance the naturla bass drum sound. Now comes the problem:
We're using Logic 7. We use for every tom a microphone. If we use the trigger function from Logic, it's (more or less) working. If we put a sample on one tom, it's working, but the original tom sound is also picked up by the overheads for the cymbals. How do you do it, if you trigger the toms? I'm not quite sure if Andy is triggering the toms at all, but if so, what happens with the overheads?
Basically we want to trigger since the original tom sound is crap and we can't get any decent sound out of it.

Thanks in advance,
Timo

You could filter the overheads, do a lowcut, so that only high frequencies are left. I think some people filter away everything under 1khz from overheads.
Then only the tomhits are left on OH.

Blend the triggered tom with some of the mic'd tom. Solo the overheads and listen to the placement of the toms (it's easier with headphones) in the stereo picture. Pan your triggered toms to match the image of the mic'd toms in the overheads.

Yeah, we use this Audio to Score stuff.

I already thought about a Cut or a filter. I guess I'll try it. Any other tips on improving tom sound without triggering?

BTW: Are there any good tom samples for 5 toms? Andy got only 2 I know of on his page.

Thanks

I usually make sure that when I record the toms they are dead as hell....deadning rings, tape, etc.....this way all you really record is the attack of the stick hitting the skin.....

To be honest, I got Drumkit from hell, but I've no clue how to work with it. In the directory, there are shitloads of samples. Just figure out which suits me and eq it?

chadsxe said:
I usually make sure that when I record the toms they are dead as hell....deadning rings, tape, etc.....this way all you really record is the attack of the stick hitting the skin.....

great way to get shitty sounding drums:erk: you need that ring to help cut thru other wise it makes it sound like your hitting cardboard boxes:yuk:

xtranscendedx said:
great way to get shitty sounding drums:erk: you need that ring to help cut thru other wise it makes it sound like your hitting cardboard boxes:yuk:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.....the orginal poster said that he can not get a good tom sound for the life of him and that he is going to rely on sample replacment....he also mentioned that he does not want the toms in the OH.....if that is the case then logically why would you not try to seperate them from the over heads as much as possible......this way you have a track of clean tom attacks to sample replace off of...and very little leakage in the OH's....