Overhead mics and replaced-triggered toms/snare

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
hello there,

geeh, I really got addictive to this forum. After reading throughout the forum, I had some really nice reflections about guitar recording. Now I'm still asking myself few questions about drum recording.

When you don't own for 1000 bucks worth of drum microphones and a super duper sounding drum room + good experience and knowledge about acoustic drum recording, triggering and drum replacing seems to be the way to go when you're heading for a big heavy/metal sound.

So I got samples for my toms, snare and kick. BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE OVERHEADS/CYMBALS MICS.

Imagine that the sound of a tom is recorded by the trigger and also the overheads. It will sound like 2 different toms are hit at the same time. 'cause the 2 sounds are not exactly the same.

Could that sound any good ?
Are 2 basic overheads enough ?
Is sampling our drumkit (rather using other samples) would help to bring unity to the sound ?
Are there any way of placing the overheads in the air so its getting more cymbals and just a little bit of the drumkit ?

I guess these are the reasons why brilliant producers while Sneap are tracking every single cymbal separetly with a unique microphone.

If anybody have anything that could help, I would really appreciate.

Most of the tonal information in the toms is below like 600hz so hipass your overhead and you should mostly hear the attack in the toms.
Two overhead mics is enough, and maybe you can try using two room mics as well. If they don't add anything good, don't use them :)
If you have the time, try sample your kit and trigger with those samples. If it doesn't sound good, use other samples.

Most of the tonal information in the toms is below like 600hz so hipass your overhead and you should mostly hear the attack in the toms.
Two overhead mics is enough, and maybe you can try using two room mics as well. If they don't add anything good, don't use them :)
If you have the time, try sample your kit and trigger with those samples. If it doesn't sound good, use other samples.

oukki I will try something like that. I hope I will not get too much double kick feeling anyway.

thanks for your answer.