Tone/Layering/Etc.

Well, not particularly. I kinda use the guitar as something that provides atmosphere instead of straight-out shredding. There's some moments, especially in my first band (Visionarium), but I wouldn't call myself a "shredder".

I hope I'm not going too off-topic. :(

Thats not saying much nowadays anymore,LOL, I mean everytime I ask that, people always say "no not really" and say some excuses and I check some of thier songs out later on and they blow my face off.

I'll need to listen though when I have access to broadband connection.

Might add something else. This might purely be my opinion, but I really don't think $2,500 worth of recording gear is enough for release-quality results. That amount of money may get you a good 1 or 2 channel preamp, but not much more than that. Probably better off putting that money towards booking studio time with a good metal producer/engineer.

I agree. If you're primarily a performer, then you ought to focus on that and get someone whose main concern is engineering to record you.

On the other hand, if you're doing this for fun, to see what you can do, then go on ahead. Just be forewarned that a good-sounding recording is the result of either all or most of the following: quality performances on quality instruments, recorded with quality mics, chosen with attention to their specific characteristics, properly placed, running through quality preamps (either outboard or on a quality console), to a quality recording medium that has been properly calibrated. Then there's mixing, which brings in a whole host of problems in frequency masking, EQ, compression (which could also be done on input, of course...I'd still keep uncompressed tracks as backups, though), tasteful use of effects, and of course volume control. Oh, and mastering, which you really shouldn't do if you plan on actually releasing this. But if, again, you're just doing this for kicks, by all means, try to find a multi-band compressor and go to town...

I guess it all comes down to expectations. If you're asking questions like you have in the op, then my guess is that you are not going to get what you want by doing this yourself. As Moonie said, there are better uses for your money. DIY will come at the expense of quality. And it sort of sounds like that's something you're concerned about... don't discount the impact of a skilled engineer.

Yeah, it's basically a trade-off of experience vs the end product. If you plan to use this whole thing primarily as a learning experience, then by all means go to town attempting it all yourself. I'm sure you'll quickly find all the limitations. If you actually want an end-product comparable to actual album releases, you will want to get the recording process supervised professionally, and ideally also recorded in a professional studio facility.

well I am going to take some music recording courses at my local community college, but I have no experience thus far, but have been reading many guides on music recording, including http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm . This project is for fun, but I will be releasing the work and won't sell it for much ( even if it was pro-quality I wouldn't want to sell my music at outrageous prices ) and I am upping my price limit by a few $K so I can get some half-decent monitors, a decent vocal mic, an alright mic pre, etc. Most bands here sell single albums for upwards of $10 or more, most of which were recorded through programs such as Audacity or cool edit pro, using a cheap or two mic for all instruments and vocals, and I am planning on selling a double album for about the same, and as long as I practice with recording a lot first, I can be pretty sure that this will turn out better than most people are used to from local bands here.

I am also saving up for a new bass as well( Either a Warwick Corvette 6-string or I will wait for Music Man to come out with their Bongo Six String, and already have a good amp, GK 700 RB-II. )All of my band members either have decent gear, such as a Pearl ELX drumkit, guitarist is getting a Gibson explorer soon I think, either that or a Randy Rhoads sig., and not the cheap Epiphone models, etc.

I am looking into what gear I am going to get, probably going for a presonus or motu interface, shure mic pack ( 4 57's and 1 beta52a ) for instrument mic'ing, and maybe a cascade condenser mic for vocals. I am still researching gear though.

I am also going to be visiting a buddy of mine soon, and he has his own studio, going to see if he can help me learn more about this in return for me doing a lot of the grunt work.

And I know I can't get the quality of MAYH, but I was wondering how they got that full guitar sound, and I am glad I now know. You have all been a lot of help, ty vm.

:)

oh yeah. I didn't know they used tons of barre chords in it, but I guess that can also explain their sound on that album as well.

well I am going to take some music recording courses at my local community college, but I have no experience thus far, but have been reading many guides on music recording, including http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm . This project is for fun, but I will be releasing the work and won't sell it for much ( even if it was pro-quality I wouldn't want to sell my music at outrageous prices ) and I am upping my price limit by a few $K so I can get some half-decent monitors, a decent vocal mic, an alright mic pre, etc. Most bands here sell single albums for upwards of $10 or more, most of which were recorded through programs such as Audacity or cool edit pro, using a cheap or two mic for all instruments and vocals, and I am planning on selling a double album for about the same, and as long as I practice with recording a lot first, I can be pretty sure that this will turn out better than most people are used to from local bands here.

I am also saving up for a new bass as well( Either a Warwick Corvette 6-string or I will wait for Music Man to come out with their Bongo Six String, and already have a good amp, GK 700 RB-II. )All of my band members either have decent gear, such as a Pearl ELX drumkit, guitarist is getting a Gibson explorer soon I think, either that or a Randy Rhoads sig., and not the cheap Epiphone models, etc.

I am looking into what gear I am going to get, probably going for a presonus or motu interface, shure mic pack ( 4 57's and 1 beta52a ) for instrument mic'ing, and maybe a cascade condenser mic for vocals. I am still researching gear though.

I am also going to be visiting a buddy of mine soon, and he has his own studio, going to see if he can help me learn more about this in return for me doing a lot of the grunt work.

And I know I can't get the quality of MAYH, but I was wondering how they got that full guitar sound, and I am glad I now know. You have all been a lot of help, ty vm.

:)

The forum at tweakheadz is great. A bunch of really kind, helpful folks.