Tony Harnell is the new Skid Row singer

labrekk

Jul 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
What do you guys think? It'a weird match, but if it means a return for the older, classical SR sound, that would be nice.

Harnell is a great singer that should do the old songs justice. Not sure that Harnell is a guy that will have them play to big crowds again though, as sad as it is given his abilities as singer.

The guys still have a beef with Sebastian Bach, that's for sure...

I'll be the one to say it. Love Tony and Skids, but this is a bad match. It doesn't make sense to me at all. I don't see it lasting long and hopefully they will reunite with Bas at some point. As Darth Vader would say, "It is your destiny."

What an odd pairing. Harnell is amazing. But amazing with a completely different sound than Skid Row. That said, I'd love to hear him sing some of the old stuff.

Steve in Philly

What do you guys think? It'a weird match, but if it means a return for the older, classical SR sound, that would be nice. Harnell is a great singer that should do the old songs justice. Not sure that Harnell is a guy that will have them play to big crowds again though, as sad as it is given his abilities as singer. The guys still have a beef with Sebastian Bach, that's for sure...

This sucks. He's so much better than that band.

Not a big Skid Row fan, or a TH fan... but I highly doubt the end product is going to be listenable. Too drastic of differences artistically. TH is better suited to some fruity Frontiers label band, and the Skid guys.... well.

Short of reuniting with Bach, does anyone really care who's singing for Skid Row? Tony is an excellent singer, but this is a band that's been on life support since the early 90s. If you're going to be a nostalgia act, at least do what QR did and get a singer who's a clone of your original singer.

Short of reuniting with Bach, does anyone really care who's singing for Skid Row? Tony is an excellent singer, but this is a band that's been on life support since the early 90s. If you're going to be a nostalgia act, at least do what QR did and get a singer who's a clone of your original singer.

I think you're spot on. This is going to sound negative, but I don't predict this working out too well. Harnell might as well go sing for L.A. Guns too!

~Brian~

(A) I don't think Tony would be doing it if he couldn't sing the songs right. I would hope not, anyway.

(B) After 15 years of Solinger's lead vocals (25 for me, since he gigged incessantly around D/FW with his...not great.. eponymous band 'Solinger') anyone is better for Skid Row. Barry Manilow would be a good fit in comparison.

(C) I might actually consider dragging myself to one of their show now, and people in the U.S. will actually get to hear Tony sing live without going to NYC.

(B) After 15 years of Solinger's lead vocals (25 for me, since he gigged incessantly around D/FW with his...not great.. eponymous band 'Solinger') anyone is better for Skid Row. Barry Manilow would be a good fit in comparison.
Damn straight. Have you ever heard Manilow cover "Run to the Hills"? That dude has some serious pipes.

Tony hits the notes, and he applies the appropriate amount of grit, but it's still missing something. I suspect that something is being a 20 yr old with an attitude (or an asshole complex, depending on who you talk to).

My feeling is he tried to sing exactly like the original, and thus it sounds like a "bar band" type cover (a good bar band, mind you, but still a cover band).

I agree with Jaime...it's missing something. For me, that something is heart. He hits the notes. He is in time. He has decent timbre. But it just feels mechanical to me.

I'd be more interested in new material to see how he gels, as this "cover" doesn't do anything for me. If a band does a cover (I realize same name of the band, but let's face it - this is a cover) and tries to sound just like the original recording, for me 99.9% of the time, I'll just listen to the original (because what's the point of an attempt to completely replicate something already done before in studio format?)...