Tony Iommi

Well, if nothing else, you've become a legend in my eyes. I never thought I'd see the day where someone with working ears would proclaim Dehumanizer to be superior to the frankly stunning Heaven and Hell.

I just don't see what makes it so great, myself, apart from the two tracks I mentioned above. Everything else, aside from that awesome bass line in Lonely is the Word, strikes me as bland and emotionless. I prefer Dehumanizer, as it's heavier overall, and there's a greater number of tracks that I like off of it (Computer God, TV Crimes, Time Machine, I, Master of Insanity, etc).

Headless Cross? Fantastic? Where are your standards, people? :erk:

As far as Heaven and Hell, the first two songs are pretty incredible, but I really don't find anything else on there worth listening to. And I certainly wouldn't call it Sabbath's best.

That's pretty much the way I see most of the post-Ozzy albums: maybe two or three great songs, and the rest either barely tolerable or just boring. I think a 'greatest hits' compilation of that period would consist of roughly the following (while keeping in mind that I've only listened up to Dehumanizer):

Neon Knights
Children of the Sea
Turn Up the Night
The Sign of the Southern Cross
The Mob Rules
In for the Kill
Turn to Stone
Seventh Star
The Shining
Glory Ride

Sabbath have been mediocre ever since their first six albums.

i saw sabbath live a few years ago with ozzy....Iommi gets better with age, that guy is good. great show

The Tony Martin albums are unfairly overlooked in my opinion (except for Forbidden; that was boring as hell). While they're not up to the standard of Dio or Ozzy era Sabbath, they're still fairly decent epic metal albums.

The Tony Martin albums are unfairly overlooked in my opinion (except for Forbidden; that was boring as hell). While they're not up to the standard of Dio or Ozzy era Sabbath, they're still fairly decent epic metal albums.
Meh. That may be true, but I don't listen to Sabbath to hear "epic metal". ;) Which is one of the reasons I dislike the era, Cross Purposes aside.

Dio is not that great but he is better than Glen Hughes.

Ozzy is one of the greatest showmen ever.

Tony Iommi is definitely a guitar god singlehandedly creating the heaviest metal riffs of his day.Master Of Reality is a sheer Masterpiece.Lord Of This World destroys most everything going on at that time.Nothing hardly these days makes an impact on what is going on in the metal world the way Sabbath did in their scene.Led Zepplin can't hold a candle to the Mighty Sabbath.

Your thoughts on Sabbath era from Eternal Idol through Forbidden and your thoughts of The Iommi/Hughes albums and let's not forget Tony's solos record? I have been listening to the Tony Martin era and Iommi solo stuff a lot lately... Headless Cross and Cross Purposes are fantastic albums!

those 2 albums you mentione are oddly enought he only albums with martin i like. cross purposes is insanely good. the iommi/hughes albums are also good

I just don't see what makes it so great, myself, apart from the two tracks I mentioned above. Everything else, aside from that awesome bass line in Lonely is the Word, strikes me as bland and emotionless. I prefer Dehumanizer, as it's heavier overall, and there's a greater number of tracks that I like off of it (Computer God, TV Crimes, Time Machine, I, Master of Insanity, etc).

i too prefer dehumanizer to the earlier dio stuff. just the name of the album (dehumanizer) let you know something ungodly heavy was about to come