Top 10 favourite albums!

jervi

dead but dreaming
Mar 29, 2006
Thule
Come on, let's try this one again! :loco:

My top ten as of now (no specific order.. that's too tough):
- nightingale - invisible (awesome and jolly progrock)
- kalmah - they will return (ofc)
- agalloch - the mantle ("cabin in the woods"-athmosphere and tons of depth)
- kroda - cry to me, river (ukrainian folk/black winnage)
- edge of sanity - crimson (40 minute melodic death epic)
- nile - annihilation of the wicked (best tech death I know of imo)
- myrkgrav - trollskau, skrømt og kølabrenning (norwegian folkmetal)
- dan swanö - moontower (the man is a god, what more can be said..)
- deathspell omega - si monumentum requires, circumspice (ace french bm)
- primordial - the gathering wilderness (pagan and irish!:kickass:)

Worthy mentions (this isn't cheating is it? :lol:):
nest - trail of the unwary
green carnation - the acoustic verses
peste noire - panegyrique de la degenerescence
catamenia - chaos born
drudkh - autumn aurora
battleheart - s/t
turisas - battle metal
ensiferum - iron
opeth - blackwater park
moonsorrow - verisakeet

Your turn.. :kickass:

All sprite, lets try. These ones pop in my mind (at this moment):

1.Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
2.Kalmah - Swamplord
3.Crumbsuckers - Life Of Dreams
4.Tragedy - Vengeance
5.Motörhead - Iron fist
6.Stone - No Anesthesia
7.Suicidal Tendencies - Lights Camera Revolution
8.Death - Scream bloody gore
9.Death Breath - Stinking up the night
10.Disfear - Misanthropic Generation

1. Kalmah - Swamplord
2. Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
3. NeObliviscaris - The Aurora Veil
4. Eluveitie - Slania
5. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
6. Death - The Sound of Perseverance
7. Wintersun - Wintersun
8. Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn
9. Marty Friedman - Dragon's Kiss
10. Eternal Tears OF Sorrow - A Virgin And A Whore

I would have put the first 3 Kalmah albums as my top three, :lol: but i figured i would just put my favorite album from each of these bands.

1. Kalmah - Swamplord/For The Revolution
2. Insomnium - Since the Day it all Came Down/Above the Weeping World
3. The Elysian Fields - 12 Ablaze/ Suffering G.O.D Almighty
4. Skyfire - Timeless Departure/Spectral
5. Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Chaotic Beauty/Before the Bleeding Sun
6. Wintersun - Wintersun/(TIME!!)
7. Mithotyn - Gathered Around the Oaken Table/King of the Distant Forest
8. Heavenly - Dust to Dust/Sign of the Winner
9. Suidakra - Emprise to Avalon/Caledonia
10. Ensiferum - Ensiferum/Iron

This is just from thinking real quick. It would be extremely difficult and exhausting to actually pick my top 10 albums of all time!!

2. Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
So soon? That record is great, but I never feel comfortable naming something as a favorite-of-all-time until it's stood the test of time. Right after Sigh's HANGMAN'S HYMN came out, I was sure it was my favorite record of all time, but now I think it's more like top 5.

I'll do my best here...

1. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
2. Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
3. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
4. Immolation - Failures for Gods
5. Danzig - II Lucifuge
6. Samael - Passage
7. Wintersun
8. Kalmah - Swampsong
9. Edge of Sanity - Crimson
10. The Forsaken - Manifest of Hate

Who knows about the actual ranking, that is more like a ten favorites... always subject to change. Anyway, as for Kalmah, it's really tough to choose that favorite album by them, because I feel like the best songs are on the first two records, but I think the albums are not solid start-to-finish. So Swampsong it is, for tons of awesome songs, no bad songs, and great variety.

Not in any specific order

Wintersun - Wintersun
Noumena - Absence
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Korn - Untouchables
Kalmah - All Albums :headbang:
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - A Virgin And A Whore
Behemoth - The Apostasy
Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin/Rise Of The Tyrant
Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes/Silent Waters
Norther - Mirror Of Madness

Jesus this is gonna be tough. Good choices so far (especially Arsis - WATM). Here goes in no order:

1) Kalmah - The Black Waltz
2) Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
3) Arsis - We are the Nightmare
4) Detonation - Portals to Uphobia
5) Opeth - Morningrise
6) Death - Symbolic
7) Behemoth - Demigod
8) In Flames - Whoracle
9) Emperor - Anthems
10) Naglfar - Vittra

Jesus I left out like 50+ CDs that I enjoy equally or greater than anything on that list. We should change this thread to top 100 haha.

I have not heard it yet, BUT, I could difinitely put Wintersun's "Time" in my top 10 albums because I am confident it is going to be unbelievable!!
The thing that scares me is that I got the impression that ALL the songs will be over 8 minutes long. I guess I am afraid it might be too introspective and indulgent and not as powerful/fast as I'd like. #1 most anticipated record of all time, though? Probably.

1. Wintersun - S/T
2. Kalmah - For The Revolution
3. Skyfire - Spectral
4. Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder
5. Hypocrisy - Virus
6. Catamenia - Location:COLD
7. Battlelore - Evernight
8. Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity
9. Ensiferum - Victory Songs
10. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction

There would be more but I tried to put the ones that I like/liked the most since like 2 years. I also tried to only put one album per band, else there would probably be some other Kalmah's and maybe Follow The Reaper.

The thing that scares me is that I got the impression that ALL the songs will be over 8 minutes long. I guess I am afraid it might be too introspective and indulgent and not as powerful/fast as I'd like. #1 most anticipated record of all time, though? Probably.

I share this same fear. Look what happened to Opeth after Akerfeldt got all smug and more introspective: Watershed. I'd like to rename the album to "Pile of Shit". I hope Wintersun, if every song ends up being that long, will keep it pretty focused and interesting (like Star Child and Death and Healing). Haha wasn't Time supposed to be out like 2 years ago? :erk:

I share this same fear. Look what happened to Opeth after Akerfeldt got all smug and more introspective: Watershed. I'd like to rename the album to "Pile of Shit". I hope Wintersun, if every song ends up being that long, will keep it pretty focused and interesting (like Star Child and Death and Healing). Haha wasn't Time supposed to be out like 2 years ago? :erk:
I honestly think that wont happen to Wintersun. Jari is too much of a genius to let that happen. I saw Insomnium live in San Antonio, Texas on October 2007 and guess who was there?!! KAI the grinder Haito!! The drummer of Wintersun!! It turns out he was helping with the equipment for Insomnium and Swallow the Sun's tour.My friends and I got to hang out with him and he explained everything. The reason why "Time" has been delayed so much is because of equipment and gear not being good enough and so on. So i think Jari wants to make this album so perfect and up to his best potential and imagination. The good think is that Kai told me that mostly everything is recorded, (drums, guitars,keys. vocals.ect.) There are just some little things to finish up. But it is pretty frustrating how long we have to wait. But i know it will be worth every second!!

Yes, I agree, every day longer we have to wait, will only make each moment we spend listening to it that much sweeter.

It might be so sweet that i relive my childhood and just:puke: over how amazing it is :p

I think that equipment excuse is bullshit. They're professional musicians damnit, can't they just borrow a bloody guitar or whatever?

6. Catamenia - Location:COLD

Great Cd

No Order

In Flames - Jester Race
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Kalmah - Swamplord
Catamenia - Location: Cold
Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way comes
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Insomnium - In The Halls of Awaiting / Since the day it all Came down (I cant decide between these two because they are both Great)
Ensiferum - Iron
Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges / Wages of Sin (Again love them both so can decide)
Norther - Dreams of Endless War

The reason why "Time" has been delayed so much is because of equipment and gear not being good enough and so on. So i think Jari wants to make this album so perfect and up to his best potential and imagination. The good think is that Kai told me that mostly everything is recorded, (drums, guitars,keys. vocals.ect.) There are just some little things to finish up. But it is pretty frustrating how long we have to wait. But i know it will be worth every second!!

I think that equipment excuse is bullshit. They're professional musicians damnit, can't they just borrow a bloody guitar or whatever?

The equipment issues are real and you can read all about them on the Wintersun boards. The problem is that Jari was using a Windows XP machine, which has a RAM cap of 2.5 GB or something like that, so his DAW (computer home studio thing) was running out of RAM while trying to synthesize all the many sounds for the non guitar/drum/vocal parts of the records. There are shitloads of synth/VST tracks running on the album and these basically maxed out the computer's memory. He was hesitant to upgrade to Vista or Mac (which would allow much more RAM to be used than just 2.5 GB) since that would involve a massive investment of time and energy to get things running in a totally new software, but eventually he realized it was the only way. I think the rest of the TIME stuff is being done on a Mac.

Necrometer already explained the situation, but really, what would make you think it's an "excuse"?...what kind of "professional musicians" would really want to delay an album for multiple years, but still make a big deal about it, if they had no intentions of really completing, or even making the album?

Really man, that's a big lack of respect for Jari and the band.