Top albums of 2012

1. Sabaton – Carolus Rex
Sabaton = Chorus masters. Their best album. If you like impassioned and anthemic beer hall choruses, this is up there with Pretty Maids and Running Wild and various Graham Bonnet projects.

2. Hellwell – Beyond the Boundaries of Sin
One of the most consistent Mark ‘The Shark’ Shelton releases ever.

3. Urogenital Macrophage — Perversion and Sickness Destroy the Human Race
Curious about slamming brutal death metal? Start here.

4. Wrathblade – Into the Netherworld’s Realm
Quirky epic metal that grows on you.

5. No One Gets Out Alive – Like a Lamb to the Slaughter
Behold the death metal cricket. Well arranged and patient slam.

6. Kraanium — Post Mortal Coital Fixation
Raunchy slamming death metal covered in phlegm.

7. Dexter Ward – Neon Lights
This is the new band from former Battleroar vocalist Marco. Although nowhere near as good as Battleroar’s To Death and Beyond… [which is one of the 25 best metal albums EVER], this is a cool mix of NWOBHM with some forays into epic and power metal. I imagine 99.9% of the people who like Trespass, Red Lights and Bashful Alley will dig blue collar metal tunes like Metal Rites & Ghost Rider

8. Horrendous – The Chills
Dismember + Bolt Thrower with singing like Van Drunen. I want these guys to play in Marty’s house. Highlight cut: Fatal Dreams

9. Begging for Incest – Orgasmic Selfmutilation

10. Asphyx – Deathhammer

Honorable Mentions:
Abominable Putridity – Anomalies of an Artificial Origin
Nile – At the Gates of Sethu
Manowar – Lord of Steel
Marduk – Serpent Sermon

I will not put my band Realmbuilder’s second album Fortifications of the Pale Architect on the list, since that would be rather biased, but yeah, of course I think it’s good enough to be on there. Judge our new doomy epic metal tunes for yourself—

http://www.myspace.com/realmbuilder

I still have to check out many too, but my list would include:

Christian Mistress - Possession
Iginvomous - Contragenesis
Necrovation - Necrovation
Gorephilia - Embodiment of Death
Revenge - Scum.Collapse.Eradication
Master - The New Elite
Pathology - The Time of Great Purification

the newest Altar of Oblivion album, Hellwell (Mark Shelton of Manilla Road's sideproject)

Hellwell is a great one and on my list. Prime Shelton. Altar of Oblivion's Salvation okay, but Grand Gesture of Defiance is really terrific and should've been on my list at #4. (I thought it came out in late 2011 for some reason)

New songs of doomy epic metal:
Fortifications of the Pale Architect & Highwayman

Obscure Infinity - Putrefying Illusions
Resurgency - False Enlightenment
Mongrels Cross - The Sins of Aquarius
Hellbringer - Dominions of Darkness
Maveth - Coils Of The Black Earth
Gorephilia - Embodiment of Death
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone
Ataraxy - Revelations of the Ethereal
Echo - Devoid Of Illusions
Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
Ignivomous - Contragenesis
Timeghoul - Discography
Inverloch - Dusk|Subside
Uncanny - Path of Flesh
Abhorrence - Completely Vulgar
Decomposed - Decomposed
Corrosive Carcass - Composition of Flesh
Antropomorphia - Evangelivm Nekromantia
Aquilus - Griseus
Enslaved - Riitiir
Haiduk - Spellbook
Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance
Backyard Mortuary - Lure of the Occult
Binah - Hallucinating In Resurrecture
Wodensthrone - Curse
Escarnium - Excruciating Existence
Ruins - Place Of No Pity
Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

Honorable Mentions: Putrevore, Sinister, Skeletal Remains, Tzun Tzu, Blut Aus Nord, Dying Fetus, Psycroptic, Desecresy, Karnarium, Devin Townsend

1. Sigh - In Somniphobia
2. Ihsahn - Eremita
3. Enslaved - Riitiir
4. Hooded Menace - Effigies of Evil
5. Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction
6. Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
7. Self Spiller - Worms in the Keys
8. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
9. Necrovation - Necrovation
10. Dodechahedron - Dodechahedron
11. Indesinence - Vessels of Light and Decay
12. Desecresy - The Doom Skeptron
13. Incantation - Vanquish In Vengeance
14. Mares of Thrace - The Pilgrimage
15. Marduk - Serpent Sermon

I forgot this one. Hellbringer - Dominion of Darkness

Not a big thrash fan, but it kicks ass.

Also in regards to me not ranking the Weapon album higher Schmidt, I think it's more of me comparing it to their last album & being a bit let down. It's a good album, but when I go back & listen to From The Devil's Tomb it just doesn't have that same feeling for me.

1. Deathspell Omega- Drought
2. Panopticon- Kentucky
3. Agalloch- Faustian Echos
4. Laster- Wijsgeer ende narreman
5. Ash Borer- Cold of Ages
6. Hail Spirit Noir- Pneuma
7. Mgla- With Hearts Toward None
8. Enslaved- RITTIR
9. Furia- Marzannie, Krolowej Polski
10. My Dying Bride- A Map of all our Failures

If you count Rush as progressive metal, then Clockwork Angels would rank fourth on this list.

A lot more disappointments or albums that left me luke warm than winners in 2012.

Hellwell is a great one and on my list. Prime Shelton. Altar of Oblivion's Salvation okay, but Grand Gesture of Defiance is really terrific and should've been on my list at #4. (I thought it came out in late 2011 for some reason)

New songs of doomy epic metal:
Fortifications of the Pale Architect & Highwayman

Realmbuilder is good stuff. I only have Summon the Stone Throwers though. I blasted the shit out of it when I had it. Totally fun heavy/doom that doesn't take shit too seriously, nor is it over the top silly. Cirith Ungol would be proud.

Also, am I the only one that was somewhat disappointed with Deathhammer? I mean, it's cool and stuff, but there really isn't any to listen to it when you have Asphyx's first two albums. Death... the Brutal Way was more interesting. Maybe I'm fucking full of shit?

Glad to see so many people enjoying the new Mgla album. It's definitely one of those 5-10 albums of the year that nearly everyone who likes good shit should love.

http://theelectricdoomsynthesis.blogspot.com/2013/01/nathans-top-albums-of-2012.html that was my list...some that missed the last spot are Faustcoven, Flying Lotus, Andy Stott, Sigur Ros, Terrorizer, and maybe a couple of others. Edit: Oh yeah, need to hear GY!BE's album more too.

Hellwell released a hell of an album, I just haven't been in the mood for epic heavy metal hardly at all for the last 6 months or so, so I only heard it like twice. If I heard that thing a year ago, I probably would've spun it enough to put it in the top 10. Also, I still haven't heard Mgla...

2013 is sure to be better for metal though. Between Summoning, Birth A.D., Fanisk, Imprecation, maybe Blaspherian or Dead Congregation, one or two of those will surely release an album better than any metal album this year.

Also, am I the only one that was somewhat disappointed with Deathhammer? I mean, it's cool and stuff, but there really isn't any to listen to it when you have Asphyx's first two albums. Death... the Brutal Way was more interesting. Maybe I'm fucking full of shit?

I was confused for a full minute, wondering why you were comparing the thrash band Deathhammer to Asphyx, then I realized you were referring to that new irrelevant album :/ Yeah, I totally agree. Though I may like the Asphyx s/t (3rd album, right?) as much as Last One On Earth, but fuck it, nothing tops The Rack.

Great list. Celebrate the Dead is fucking awesome. Love the new DCD album as well. Probably their best work since Into the Labyrinth (meaning it's better than Spirit Chaser lol). Also, that Chthe'ilist EP straight up kills. Definitely channeling their inner Demilich.

Realmbuilder is good stuff. I only have Summon the Stone Throwers though. I blasted the shit out of it when I had it. Totally fun heavy/doom that doesn't take shit too seriously, nor is it over the top silly. Cirith Ungol would be proud.

Also, am I the only one that was somewhat disappointed with Deathhammer?

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy Realmbuilder, though we feel that our the second album is quite a bit better than STST. Feel free to check out the title cut Fortifications of the Pale Architect at:

As for Asphyx. Deathhammer is nowhere near as good as The Rack, but I thought Death the Brutal way had too much punk and not very convincing arrangements.
Still, the best out of this camp is the second Hail of Bullets album, ...On Divine Winds. That thing and Necros Christos and For Those Once Loyal never gather dust in my home.

No has listened to the Ravensire and Witch Cross album? Pretty impressive on few listens. I lost that Pale Divine album in the mail so never got to hear that one.

What's good black/death metal? Don't recommend me gay shit, must be old school vein not brutal, tech or whatever.

Favorite albums from each listed genre, in order personal opinion of greatness:

Post-Rock/Metal:
Hypomanie - Calm Down, You Werent Set On Fire
Helios - Moiety
Les Discrets - Ariettes Oubliees
Liam - MMIX
Planks - Funeral Mouth

Death Metal:
Adversarial/Antediluvian - Split
Abyssal - Denouement
Resurgency - False Enlightenment
Ignivomous - Contragenesis

Stoner/Sludge/Doom:
Wo Fat - The Black Code
Om - Advaitic Songs
Royal Thunder - CVI
Torche - Harmonicraft
Ancestors - In Dreams and Time
Nektar - A Spoonful of Time
Kadavar - Kadavar
My Sleeping Karma - Soma
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II
Ufomammut - Oro: Opus Primum

Grind/Punk/Crust:
Torch Runner - Commited To The Ground
Bastard Peels - Wer Das Schlechte Nicht Ehrt
Gaza - No Absolutes In Human Suffering
The Secret - Angus Dei
Black Breath - Sentenced To Life
VYST - Bad News Travels Slowly
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
Enabler - All Hail The Void
Unsu - Filthy
Collison - A Healthy Dose of Death
Murders Calling - All You Need Is Violence
Liberteer - Better To Die On Your Feet, Than To Live On Your Knees

Black Metal:
Manetheren - Time
Weird Fate - The Collapse of All That Has Been
Eïs - Wetterkreuz
Kawir - ΙΣΟΘΕΟΣ
Mgla - With Hearts Toward No One
Chapel - Satan's Rock N Roll
Aldaaron - Supreme Silence

Other:
Anathema - Weather Systems
Dragged Into Sunlight - Widowmaker
Swans - The Seer
The Howling Void - The Womb Beyond The World

I had a dream where I actually already owned a Mgła album called Ancestor, except that I mistakenly confused the artist and album names, and filed it near the beginning of my CD collection. I don't know why I dreamt such a thing; dreams rarely make sense.