Top Film Directors

well, there are barely any directors whose entire filmography i've seen, but i'll give it a go. no order.

werner herzog
michel antonioni
robert altman
david cronenberg
david lynch
satoshi kon
coen brothers
andrei tarkovsky
stanley kubrick
abbas kiarostami

some potential candidates in the future:
paul thomas anderson
lars von trier
hiroshi teshigahara
roman polanski
takeshi kitano
wong kar-wai
samuel peckinpah

There's also a hipster element to the Cohen brothers that I dislike (I know, I mentioned Jim Jarmusch so I'm going to have to eat that up)

haha yeah seriously. god, jarmusch is insufferable. at least he's not a hipster and a queer like gus van sant, i guess :)

i like the coen brothers' dialogue more than tarantino's for the most part btw. i can understand not liking them (just like i can understand not liking tarantino), they're very smug and jewish and postmodern at the end of the day, but to those who do i HIGHLY recommend their lesser known stuff like 'barton fink', 'the man who wasn't there', 'blood simple' and 'miller's crossing', all as good in their own way as the more well known films (though no country still rules the roost for me). coens have a new one out soon, looking forward to it, it's provoking VERY mixed reviews which isn't unusual for them i guess.

I'm surprised to see so many people listing Paul Thomas Anderson. I'm only familiar with There Will be Blood, which was no doubt brilliant. What are his other films worth checking out?

haha yeah seriously. god, jarmusch is insufferable. at least he's not a hipster and a queer like gus van sant, i guess :)

i like the coen brothers' dialogue more than tarantino's for the most part btw. i can understand not liking them (just like i can understand not liking tarantino), they're very smug and jewish and postmodern at the end of the day, but to those who do i HIGHLY recommend their lesser known stuff like 'barton fink', 'the man who wasn't there', 'blood simple' and 'miller's crossing', all as good in their own way as the more well known films (though no country still rules the roost for me). coens have a new one out soon, looking forward to it, it's provoking VERY mixed reviews which isn't unusual for them i guess.

I really don't like Van Sant. Milk was a good film, but he seems like he tries way too hard.

On the other hand, I just saw Blood Simple for the first time last night; great movie. I love the ending: "Well, if I see him, I'll certainly give him the message."

yeah i hate van sant haha, milk is tolerable only because it's so mainstreamified it barely contains the mark of van sant at all. i haven't seen his early stuff though, or gerry.

'he was alive when i buried him' = best line ever haha

punch drunk love is another fantastic p.t.anderson movie, i haven't seen his first two though. if they are of a similar standard then i'd definitely stick him in my list, although i suspect i'll like them less.

i like billy wilder a lot btw, wouldn't quite stick him among my favourites but i love sunset blvd, double indemnity, ace in the hole, the apartment. lawrence of arabia is great too but it's the only lean i've seen. and hitchcock is a VERY clever director but i find he fascinates me more often than he actually thrills me.

I'm surprised to see so many people listing Paul Thomas Anderson. I'm only familiar with There Will be Blood, which was no doubt brilliant. What are his other films worth checking out?

All of them. The only one I didn't like, hell, the only one I didn't love was Boogie Nights and plenty of people like that movie, and you may be one of them.

punch drunk love is another fantastic p.t.anderson movie, i haven't seen his first two though. if they are of a similar standard then i'd definitely stick him in my list, although i suspect i'll like them less.

I don't know how similar your taste is to mine, but I find Hard Eight to be an excellent movie. Actually, I would rank PTA's movies from best to worst as follows:

There Will Be Blood
Punch-Drunk Love
Hard Eight
Magnolia
Boogie Nights

Werner Herzog
Ingmar Bergman
Federico Fellini
Akira Kurosawa
Bernardo Bertolucci
Stanley Kubrick
Zhang Yimou
Godfrey Reggio
Hayao Miyazaki
Katsuhiro Otomo

David Lynch
Andrei Tarkovsky
David Cronenberg
Stanley Kubrick
Gaspar Noé (I cannot fucking wait for Into the Void.)
Krzysztof Kieślowski
Wong Kar-wai
Alejandro Jodorowsky
Paul Verhoeven
John Carpenter

Excluding anime directors like Hayao Miyazaki or Masaaki Yuasa regardless of how much I may like them because there is a difference between directing animation and directing film.