Tour with background expenses

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
Alright, to all those who tour, or know more about touring, and have bills such as Student Loans, car insurance and phone bills to pay for. How in the hell do you do it?!?!?

My student loan alone is $150 a month.

I know bands in the hardcore/metalcore genre don't make shit.

i play in Through Arteries, and i pay $600 a month for rent and internet and phone bills. We don't tour ALL the time, but i just save up the money i'll need for bills before i leave! its hard, but its the life you chose!

ps. some band dudes go phone-less :headbang:

I always make sure that the clubs/venues or where we are playing pays us enough to cover everything, like with gas money, hotels, food etc etc. We don't make a shit out of it but we don't lose a shit either. I don't know how it's like in other countries but here 1 gig gives us about 400-500$. And when you do about 10-15 gigs in one "tour" + selling merch, you suddenly have a budget to make everything work while you're on the road. :p But when i get home im back to being broke and got just enough to pay my bills and buy some food on cans ;) But ain't that a true life of a rockstar? ^^

Great help guys......Thanks

one more question

I will be working at Wal-mart. So I quit to go on tour since i will have to, then when I come back in 4 months, I will have to find another one....is that what you guys have to do too?