Tourniquet - Where Moth And Rust Destroy

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Tourniquet - Where Moth And Rust Destroy
2003 - Metal Blade Records
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Tourniquet website.

I think I'm probably going to be lynched for writing this review. So, in my defence, let me first put forward the disclaimer that music journalism is an inherently subjective business. Personal opinions differ, and if your opinion differs from that of mine, then this is a perfectly normal and healthy thing and makes neither of us right or wrong. Clear? Good. The reason I point this out is that it seems, from my preliminary (and customary) background check on this band, that Tourniquet are possibly one of the most critically acclaimed and respected bands in the metal underground. Their members make semi-regular appearances in dedicated musician's magazines, they have gained an amazing amount of awards (including HM Magazine's 'Band Of The Decade' acclamation) and, generally, have had each of their albums, EPs, compilations and their unplugged LP enthusiastically - nay, rabidly received by the underground press and their not inconsiderable fanbase alike.

So, I'm very disappointed (and, in fact, more than a little apprehensive_ to reveal the fact that Tourniquet's latest release does very little for me at all. I'm sorry, but the sprawling mesh of power-thrash-prog-classical-heavy metal elements into long, epic movements of mid-tempo heaviness just don't seem to sit well with me at all. Sure, the production is crisp, crunchy and admirably clear. Certainly, the instrumental performances are faultless (Ted Kirkpatrick's drumming in particular is impressive, as are the lead guitar turns by Marty Friedman of Megadeth/Cacophony and Bruce Franklin of Trouble). And yes, the ambition displayed in trying to tie together the threads of pretty much every style of metal under the sun into lengthy, complex compositions is applaudable in itself.

Despite all this, however, I still don't like it. It seems directionless, needlessly convoluted, and generally anti-climactic. Despite all the songs taking in a variety of styles and feels, the general pace of the album is a mid-tempo chug, with things only speeding up significantly during the near-black metal pace of the outro of Convoluted Absolutes (telling title, that) and a few other thrashier points in the album. The vocals are almost as diverse as the music, with Luke Easter touching Megadeth-esque snarls, spoken word sections, Anthrax-like shouts, more power-metal style falsettos, and occasional lower-register snarls. And again, this all seems like so much pointless, mellifluous flippery.

In heartily embracing so many styles and trying to bring them all together under one general sound, Tourniquet have produced an album that is intrinsically unsatisfying to fans of any one sound. It's too heavy for power metal fans, too slow for thrash metallers, too progressive for straight heavy metallers and too conservative for fans of widdly prog. I can't quite see how the band have managed to raise the acclaim that they have done, unless everyone who has listened to them thus far has an especially inflated sense of compromise, or perhaps they feel as though they should like them because everyone else seems to.

As for me, I'm filing this one under 'no thanks', and would be quite pleased never to come across the band again.

4/10

You're a true rebel, Speedkill. </sarcasm>

Extol is an example of a great christian band. Tourniquet was ok for their day, as far as I'm concerned they stopped being worth listening to more than half a decade ago. Any acclaim they receive I feel comes from the christian scene, and HM can barely be regarded as a metal magazine so I wouldn't place much weight on what they say.

It really isn't fair to judge the band as a whole on this album alone. As a Tourniquet fan, I must say that I was dissapointed. But I must ask that during your background check, why did you not actually LISTEN to any of Tourniquet's older stuff? They really are a great band, and quite possibly the greatest Christian metal band ever. Did you hear their 2000 release, Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm? Maybe you might wanna give that a listen before youo decide this band sucks so much. Microscopic View is probably their best album, and is in every way superior to "Moth and Rust." The music is much more balanced, while still having a wide variety of sounds and techinicality. It's overall more entertaining than "Most and Rust, heavier at times and more melodic at others. It just flat out rocks from start to finish.

Or maybe you might want to check out their older stuff. I would reccomend their debut album from 1991, Stop the Bleeding. It's definately a thrash album, but it rises above all thrash cliches and easily becomes one of the best and most unique thrash albums I've definately heard. It's extremely heavy and intense, and still very melodic, with some awesome riffs. The vocals in my opinion are incredible too, and I must say they are very unique. They are a little hard to swallow though, as their original vocalist hits some VERY high notes on this album...think of Pantera's Shattered, only even higher. It's love 'em or hate 'em for the vocals, but the music still kicks.

Or how about Psycho Surgery, featuring a much more techincal version of the sound they have on "Bleeding?" Or Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance, featuring more death metal influences? Or Vanishing Lessons, which, while probably being their most commercial album, still has some of their best songs? Every Tourniquet album sounds completely different from the last, and to point to one album and determine that they must have always sounded like that is ridiculous. Maybe you should get a Tourniquet fan to write your Tourniquet reviews from now on. You even got someone who liked St. Anger to write that review for crying out loud.

The quality of Tourniquet's past catalogue does not effect the outcome of this review at all, I'm afraid - I'll freely admit that I hadn't heard anything of the band beforehand, but if I had (and I will now check out their earlier music on your recommendation), then the review may well have been even more negative, because if they were capable of producing cohesive, entertaining music previously, that would have begged the question of why they seem to have turned everything into such an overblown mess now?

The point of album reviewing is just that - to give an opinion on a body of work by a band, not all of their recorded output. If my remit had been to review Tourniquet's entire career, then perhaps the outcome would have been different. BUt as it stands, I didn't enjoy this album, and the general feel of people on the site appears to be that this is a weak album. Also, I would draw your attention to the disclaimer I deliberately wrote into the beginning of this article - this is just my opinion, nothing more. If you disagree, then I'm glad you can find enjoyment from Tourniquet's music, and I respect your point of view. All I ask is that others do the same for me. Thanks for your views!

dill_the_devil said:

As for me, I'm filing this one under 'no thanks', and would be quite pleased never to come across the band again.

4/10

I was referring more to comments such as this than the actual review.

NotasHolyasThou said:
I was referring more to comments such as this than the actual review.
"As for me, I'm filing this one under 'no thanks', and would be quite pleased never to come across the band again."

I hope the highlighted points make things more clear... otherwise, consider this;

If your first experience with a band was to hear an album that you didn't enjoy, would you actively seek to listen to them again in future?