circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Tourniquet – Vanishing Lessons
Pathogenic Records – Re-release – 2004
By Jason Jordan

tourniquet.jpg

Tourniquet is in the process of re-releasing their revamped catalogue, and 2004 brings us 1994’s reincarnated Vanishing Lessons. Originally, the aforementioned featured a new vocalist, the noticeable absence of Mendez (guitar), and a vastly different sound from 1993’s Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance, which many deem their best album. This time, however, there’s a bevy of new material to digest.

All eleven tracks from the first iteration of Vanishing Lessons are here, naturally. “Bearing Gruesome Cargo” begins the record, and I never understood why this song is still a fan favorite – it’s rather average fare in my opinion. “Pecking Order” is more my taste because it contains driving hooks and punctuating drums. Check the 2:40 minute mark, and on, for interesting instrumentation; Tourniquet have always been gifted musicians capable of penning captivating rhythms and fills. “Drowning Machine” is a solid composition. It utilizes subtler methods at first, and then delves into whirlwind guitar leads coupled with nice breakdowns. “Pushin’ Broom” chases and – at the same time – introduces us to an even more mellow group. Thankfully, the song does return to heaviness later. “Vanishing Lessons” is all right, but “My Promise” is an avenue I don’t like to see the band traverse due to its docility and subsequent monotony. Fortunately, and similar to “Pushin’ Broom,” the song reaches the heavier side of the spectrum at the 2:15 minute mark. “Acidhead” is a good – not overly entrancing – exercise. “K517,” though, is a brilliant take on Scarlatti, with accompanying drums by Kirkpatrick. And, it’s one of the most enjoyable instrumentals I’ve ever heard. “Twilight” is yet another example of the pop sound that invaded the band’s songwriting occasionally: promptly skip this, in other words. “Your Take” and “Sola Christus,” the latter of which brings the album to a close, are not anything exemplary either.

Enter “new” material: an unreleased track, three live tracks, and two demos. “HHS2,” like “K517,” is Kirkpatrick accompanying Handel. Again, the aforementioned is a must-listen. “Acidhead,” “Pecking Order,” and “Vanishing Lessons” are the selected live tracks. The sound of the live tracks isn’t spectacular, but it suffices nonetheless. The demos aren’t overwhelming either, but all of the above material is just an added bonus for those who hold Vanishing Lessons in high esteem. So, whether your nostalgia brings you back to this album or not, it’s a worthy outing. And, the added recordings, changed artwork, and additional liner notes really push the package from good to great.

8/10

Official Tourniquet website