trackball mouse users, which one?

Well I know Jeff is pretty slick at editing and he does mostly, if not 100%, manual editing with his Expert Mouse, so I'd say it just takes getting used to. Knowing that I have considered one on more than one occasion.

I look forward to getting more use to it over time. They definately feel better on the hands.
I know that at times, especially when editing I use to get pretty tense on the index finger and also at work I still get a sore wrist from a normal mouse, so I don't regret the change. It was only $30 here anyway, so if at any point I want to change back it's not a huge loss.

powerglove.jpg

:kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

I remember when my sister gave my brother and I the NES and I tried to hook up the fucking power glove. Spent hours thinking I was 'doing it wrong' until I realized after going back and trying it the next year or so, that it was complete SHIT.

Also, if your in a toss up between mouse and trackball keep them both hooked up? I've run DUAL MOUSE before and shit automatically switches over.

HOW DO THE TRACKBALLS PERFORM WITH FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS?

I have limited desk space and have always pondered trackballin' it.

At any given time, my thumb is on bottom left, pinky on bottom right, index on top left, and ring on top right.

I've got mine so thumb is normal click, pinky is right click, index is middle click, and ring swaps between horizontal and vertical scrolling. I also have it setup so that clicking the bottom two together acts as a "ctrl/cmd+w" to close windows, which is epicly handy when combined with the dedicated middle click button and my love for having a bajillion tabs open.

How do you manipulate the ball though, with your palm?

I use index or middle finger. Palming it would feel a tad retarded IMO (exuse my terminology). It sounds like Jeff uses the ring finger: "ring swaps between horizontal and vertical scrolling."

I use index or middle finger. Palming it would feel a tad retarded IMO (exuse my terminology). It sounds like Jeff uses the ring finger: "ring swaps between horizontal and vertical scrolling."

I think he means the switch that controls whether the scroll ring scrolls horizontally or vertically

I've gotta actually look at this shit... one sec....

Index and middle are fucking with the ball, thumb and pinky are the only ones that are truly anchored. Middle click doesn't need to be used often at all, especially in a DAW setting. Ring finger stays relatively put, usually controlling the scroll wheel, but jumps over for going between horiz/vertical stuff.

What's your reasoning? Is it because you're forearm / wrist is getting sore using a traditional mouse?

If so, you will probably end up going back like I did - I bought one and thought it would help, but it did nothing but frustrate the shit out of me. I bought a new mousepad with a wrist support, and no more aches.

Of course, YMMV, etc.

Actually, truth be told, I originally got mine because I had issues with my wrists after prolonged computer use. The main problem ended up being the height my desk was at and the angle it forced my hands to be at, but using the trackball really helped reduce pain/stress. You're using your wrist FAR LESS than with any kind of normal mouse!

You're using your wrist FAR LESS than with any kind of normal mouse!

+1. You're also not constantly gripping.
While it's not a full strength grip, having that constant pressure of your fingers at the edge/sides of the mouse (if you're like me when you hold a mouse) can become a problem after 8+ hours a day over afew years.
The TB was an instant releif. I wish I could bring mine to work.

Middle click doesn't need to be used often at all, especially in a DAW setting.

In a DAW setting, no, but I couldn't live without it for web browsing! (opening links in new tabs, that's how I read all the threads with new replies on here!) Also, my chair is low enough relative to my desk that my elbow usually hangs below the desk's surface (with my wrist resting on the edge), so I don't have to deal with angling my wrist back to use the mouse (which I agree can get supremely uncomfortable - fortunate, I suppose, that I'm an epic sloucher :D)

In a DAW setting, no, but I couldn't live without it for web browsing! (opening links in new tabs, that's how I read all the threads with new replies on here!) Also, my chair is low enough relative to my desk that my elbow usually hangs below the desk's surface (with my wrist resting on the edge), so I don't have to deal with angling my wrist back to use the mouse (which I agree can get supremely uncomfortable - fortunate, I suppose, that I'm an epic sloucher :D)

Exactly, for web browsing it's a godsend.

That said, the angle you're talking about was the one I had problems with - when your wrists are angled downward (elbows below where the mouse would be causes arms to angle upward but wrists to angle downward), you run a greatly increased risk of RSI related injury/pain. Always better to have your elbows level with or a bit above, and have your wrists prone or bent just slightly upwards.

I generally don't use keyboard shortcuts, all mouse clicks (I only use my keyboard for transport controls). I've never been able to keep a large list of keyboard commands in memory, and even then I'm so used to using a mouse for everything that it just comes naturally...So, something that would be stationary to reduce movement, potential RSI issues and *potentially* give me a faster technique with the mouse is what I'm looking for. I'm fully prepared to NOT like a trackball, thus that's the big reason I don't want to sink too much into one.

Exactly, for web browsing it's a godsend.

That said, the angle you're talking about was the one I had problems with - when your wrists are angled downward (elbows below where the mouse would be causes arms to angle upward but wrists to angle downward), you run a greatly increased risk of RSI related injury/pain. Always better to have your elbows level with or a bit above, and have your wrists prone or bent just slightly upwards.

I dunno, I've found the only time I ever experience any discomfort is when I have to bend my wrist back even the slightest bit, although I have heard that putting the weight on your wrist can cause damage (though one of those squishy neoprene gel wrist rests takes care of that)