Tracking a low-cost amp, worth it?

chopchop

Jun 4, 2010
Hey guys!
I have bought guitar rig 4 pretty long ago (around the time it came out) and it's really nice and so.. BUT.
When I create my music, I play with my amp.
An AD50VT xl, which is not that amazing amp, but I do get the sound I'm looking for from it (Till the day i'll buy the Mark v - which is coming closer and closer :p)
My question is, is it possible that get that lovely sound I'm hearing in the room from my amp? or it'll sound crappy on the recored?

Anything you hear is possible to get recorded as-is. But it takes a lot of trial and error with mic placement, and also the proper mics for the job. And also, remember that what sounds good on its own (guitar extremely in particular!), may be unusable in a full mix with the other instruments. This especially happens with mid-scooped tones (low mids, and usually boosted bass/low & treble/high), which can sound powerful on their own, but they simply do not work in a full mix: the more bass-heavy instruments (bass guitar & kick drum) have far more powerful low frequencies, and the will mask the guitar's low end. And the high treble will be masked by the drum cymbals and possible synths. See what it leaves? Mid frequencies ;) That is incidentally also the natural tone area for a guitar ;) So increase those mids, and lower the bass & treble, and find a tone that fits the big picture :)

Hey, thanks for answering that fast!

So what's you're saying is, that it's not possible to know if the guitar sound is good for the mix, untill the mix is full with all of the instruments?
If this is correct, then should I first get bass and drums running before I tack the guitar?

For the mics, I own A C03 condenser by samson and SM57, I guess the SM will fit more?

It's not set in stone, but the 57 is a good starting point for any heavy guitars ;) Most recording sessions generally have those quick & dirty scratch tracks to go by for a ballpark tone search. But I believe 99 % of recordings start with the drums, followed by guitar, then bass (to compare the intonation between bass & guitars), and then vocals and synths.