Tracking through outboard gear

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Which are the pros to track directly through an outboard gear? Lot of people tracks drums using outboard compresssors for example, expecially on snare. But what if that sound doesn't fit into the mix? Something can be very good during tracking but simply not good in a mix.
Another question: in the mixing process, when you insert an outboard (ex. compressor) in a track, do you usually use it in real time or do you print to a new track the compressed track?

no comp on drums when tracking for me. i´m using some eqs and comps on bass, guitar and only compression on vocals.
never would i use compression on drums on the way in to the daw.

when i´m mixing stuff i recorded myself there is hardly any outboard involved.

I couldn't face the thought of tracking vocals without a compressor!
Drums,I tend to leave clean as I'm already spanking them to tape.

When you are compressing on the way in; once you've set the gain reduction..levels ratio etc and you're ready to roll... just knock it back a tiny bit.
It's SO easy to over do and ruin a vocal/drum/guitar sound....
You live and learn unfortunatly!

I think anyone that wants to use outboard on the way in should do so only if they fully understand how much is too much. You can add more but can't take away, of course. That said, I think vocals and bass guitar are pretty safe to track with compression on the way in, maybe a little bit of EQ as well but nothing crazy. I wouldn't track drums with compression or EQ, but that's just me. I am the type that likes to keep my options totally open from the beginning all the way down to bouncing out a final mix.

Yes I tend to track as clean as possible too.
What about the mixing process? If I use a compressor (outboard) in a track I would like to print it to a new track...but what if the compressor for some reason is placed not as the first "processing" slot? If I print it everything before the compressor is printed too and it would limit the options during the mix..