Let's talk outboard mixers/consoles for a moment...

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
What is the advantage, if any, of having a mixing console/interface over my current set up of Saffire Pro 40 (or similar) into a DAW w/mouse and keyboard?

I'm still not 100% convinced I *get* the necessity for an outboard console in conjunction with DAW's, especially when I even witness people who do own them just using their mouse/keyboard/other outboard gear for tracking. Aren't the faders just controlling the faders in the DAW?

Bit of a noobish question, but I'm not much of a hardware boffin, I've never been in the position to experiment with such gear so... I simply wouldn't know its advantages. Besides the obvious analogue conditioning to the audio.

you know them waves api/ssl preamp/eq/comp emulations?

imagine having 32 or 64 of the real ones, right in front of you. :kickass:

Point taken. So basically unless I'm getting into the seriously pro price register there is no real point in looking into it at "my level". A control surface seems in order though, I do get rather bored of pushing a mouse around all day :lol:

Some people use the Behringer BCF2000 control surfaces with success, 8 motorized faders (not touch sensitive). Might have to by two of those myself.

Or you could get something like this that is both a DAW controller AND an analog console: http://www.audient.co.uk/products/asp2802-small-format-dual-layer-recording-console - OM NOM NOM

Using a console certainly adds a lot more expense in converters / cabling etc. but if you're using a lot of outboard and want analog mixing summing / monitor control all in one place it might make sense. I'd like an SSL X-Desk myself!

Audients are the sex.

Then again there's that Behringer X32 coming out. At 2500US$ street, I'll buy one just to see if it sucks. If it doesn't I'm opening a live sound company.

10$ here says that despite the bullshit, it's gonna have some Midas ripoff pres. If nothing it will have eight of the Klark Teknik software plugs from the Pro 6. I think that alone is worth the price of admission.

Or you could get something like this that is both a DAW controller AND an analog console: http://www.audient.co.uk/products/asp2802-small-format-dual-layer-recording-console - OM NOM NOM

Using a console certainly adds a lot more expense in converters / cabling etc. but if you're using a lot of outboard and want analog mixing summing / monitor control all in one place it might make sense. I'd like an SSL X-Desk myself!

^ Om nom indeed!
I was looking at something like this too http://www.dv247.com/mixers/allen-a...ecording-mixer-with-firewire-soundcard--52824

Audients are the sex.

Then again there's that Behringer X32 coming out. At 2500US$ street, I'll buy one just to see if it sucks. If it doesn't I'm opening a live sound company.

10$ here says that despite the bullshit, it's gonna have some Midas ripoff pres. If nothing it will have eight of the Klark Teknik software plugs from the Pro 6. I think that alone is worth the price of admission.

In my experience with Behringer consoles their pre's always sound like shit. Noisy as hell. We'll see though, maybe they'll prove me wrong, but usually with consoles you get what you pay for

I heard a little story from a relatively reliable source that during the Midas/KT takeover someone high up asked Uli to quote them on a BOM. He sent it back and the amount was exactly a third of what they would have paid for the same parts. And I don't believe his guys will not at least take cues from Alex Cook's designs. If they do, (and here's to hoping they do), it can't possibly be worse than any cheaper A&H, Soundcraft, Yammy digital out there. But yes, let's wait and see.:headbang:

On that topic, I really want that Aviom knockoff he made. Goodbye monitor mixes.

What is the advantage, if any, of having a mixing console/interface over my current set up of Saffire Pro 40 (or similar) into a DAW w/mouse and keyboard?

I'm still not 100% convinced I *get* the necessity for an outboard console in conjunction with DAW's, especially when I even witness people who do own them just using their mouse/keyboard/other outboard gear for tracking. Aren't the faders just controlling the faders in the DAW?

Bit of a noobish question, but I'm not much of a hardware boffin, I've never been in the position to experiment with such gear so... I simply wouldn't know its advantages. Besides the obvious analogue conditioning to the audio.
Controlling the Faders in the DAW?? Only recently mate.
An SSL E/G sure doesn't!
I'd LOVE to have one of those, just a baby one. But recalls a bitch.

Well this seems like a two part question. I think the first is arguments to having an analog console. IMO the reason for that would be sonics. Analog EQ's and analog summing color the sound and to many in a pleasing way.

For kicks I grabbed an old 80's Tascam M280 or something. Ugly and actually noisy. Ran my mix through it and surprisingly it came together a LOT faster and sounded more natural, rounded, and blended I guess.

Then I went and found a huge Tascam M312 for $200. 12 full channel strips and 8 tape returns (so a 20-channel mixer). Modded the Power Supply, output/summing section and a few of the channel strips. It had bypassable EQ with parametric mids and low-mids, 100mm faders, two FX sends and two auxes, 4-bus mixer, talkback section, monitor control, etc. Pretty damn nice studio board. The EQ's and such, while not amazing, I think sounded more natural than plugins. Plus having the hands on control made dialing in sounds much more fun.

Workflow wise, initial mix, was stellar, fast, touching faders, turning EQ knobs. etc. Other aspects, recall was a nightmare... cabling, holy expensive snakes. Interfacing with outboard was nice I guess. Automation, yeah.... pencils and tape. At the end of the day I was setting faders to unity and automating in the box. Since my outboard was limited, I was still using a lot of plugins.

Then it was HUGE, but it did make my studio look sexy. Recently I had to move across the country and I sold it. But I do miss it, mixing with an AlphaTrack and Behringer BCF2000 helps with workflow, but does nothing for the sonics.

The studio I work at now has a Control24. I am a Cubase guy so it is just in the way for me. But watching the Pro Tools guy work in it is very impressive. He can work so much faster than anyone I have seen with a mouse and keyboard.

I have to admit, even the little I have learned on it makes mixing and tracking so much nicer. It makes ProTools very intuitive for me when filling in for another engineer. Not to mention it certainly impresses the clients when giving tours.

It is unfortunate they are so damn expensive because they are very useful. Worth 6k for a control surface, I think so. It is also too bad there are no control surfaces at the level of Avid's surfaces. I have used the Euphonix and the Mackies, they are nearly toys in comparison.

Speaking of toys, I am pretty happy with my BCF2000 and AlphaTrack. I also have Novation Nocturn that I have programmed to map to many of my plugins. That thing is also VERY cool.

Actually you just reminded me of another question which kind of ties in with the original - How does an analogue desk interface with a DAW? i.e. how would one go about having each channel on the desk have its own channel in the DAW? With interfacing digitally, that's simple, but I'm not sure how you would do it through analogue. I guess have an interface between the desk and the DAW with enough i/o to transport between the two? Or is it simply a case of doing EVERYTHING on the desk, and just sending it to the DAW through outputs onto one single track?

Audients are the sex.

Cant help but think this is just gonna be an overhyped replacement of the DDX3216.
I have a ddx3216 coz i got it cheap, ok for live use but thats bout all it servers purpose for.
Maybe one day now ive got the adat option for it i'll mix thru it for a laugh.

Actually you just reminded me of another question which kind of ties in with the original - How does an analogue desk interface with a DAW? i.e. how would one go about having each channel on the desk have its own channel in the DAW? With interfacing digitally, that's simple, but I'm not sure how you would do it through analogue. I guess have an interface between the desk and the DAW with enough i/o to transport between the two? Or is it simply a case of doing EVERYTHING on the desk, and just sending it to the DAW through outputs onto one single track?

Basically you send the direct output from each channel into the inputs of your interface. And outputs from your DAW come into the tape return of the desk.

There's also ways you can do it with sending the channel you want to record to a group output on the desk and recording it into the DAW from there.

I have a MOTU 828mk3 with a modded Behringer ADA8000 and a Presonus Digimax FS. My board could handle 20 ins, so I ran 1-8 out from my MOTU, and 1-4 on my presonus for the Mono stripped channels. Ran 1-8 on my Behry for the 8 tape returns. Everything in my studio is patchbayed, so I can easily reroute other outs for headphone mixes and such.

I would submix some stuff and send that out to the console.

Some I could send straight out.

I pretty much do the same with my control surface, send a lot of stuff to busses and keep them close together as a group, so the surface acts like a small mixer.

Oh and with my setup, I had to add bits of channel delay to compensate for the difference in output converter latency.

Now I could have had my monitors set up to use the monitor section of my board. But I elected to have the master section go back into my DAW. Then I monitored through the main outputs of my DAW. The MOTU internal mixer allows me to route say inputs straight to the the main outs. So I would do that for latency, otherwise I set my buffers so high when mixing, I would have serious latency.

Then for mixdown, I would arm a stereo track and record it back into the session. Then you can grab that audio file from your audio folder, or I would just solo it and bounce it down really quick so I could trim it a bit for noise and such.

But that way I was monitoring through my converters. Well and I actually used a DBX Quantum for return conversion and a master bus compressor and limiter (for quicky mastering listens). Plus the tape emulation on it was kinda-ish decent for slamming a mix.

Workflow and cabling clusterfuck. Oh yeah and each insert I had patchbayed too so I could patch outboard. So probably some signal degradation through cabling.

So the sonics better be fucking worth it. With my modded console it was, especially since I already did all the work to test. But it wasn't enough to box and move an 80lb console, find a new home for it, and wire it up again. And now that I am sharing studio space, the recall nightmares would have been horrendous. But I do miss the sonic fingerprint.

New consoles like the GS-R24 really intrigue me. Seems like you can get a lot of the benefits without the hassle and be under 10k. The TOFT ones have intrigued me as well. Beyond that, you can get an API 1604 for $50k loaded. After that, yeah big bucks. Not to mention you need a machine room for the power supply. Hell and those consoles draw some juice as well.

At that level the sonics are definitely worth it. Most will let you rent time, these days for cheap too with no engineer. So try it some time, patch into their board and mix, makes a big difference. I just have to find a project now that isn't on a fucking shoestring budget. I already make less than a car mechanic and sometimes even less than a housekeeper. But that is another rant....

A lot of studios use Pro Tools like a tape machine. Signal hits the desk first, then it gets sent to an AD converter is recorded into Pro Tools, then when it is played back it is sent back to the desk via DA converter. The Amek 9098i I worked on had dual inputs, you got one input from the mic and the other came from the DAW for monitoring. Separate faders for each. There was a button bank at the top of each channel, you punched the number you wanted and that was the input where each channel would show up in Pro Tools.

Cant help but think this is just gonna be an overhyped replacement of the DDX3216.
I have a ddx3216 coz i got it cheap, ok for live use but thats bout all it servers purpose for.
Maybe one day now ive got the adat option for it i'll mix thru it for a laugh.

That desk is fucking atrocious, sorry. I'm a Behr fanatic (REV2496, lots of the pedals, Bugera), but a dog is a dog.

I wouldn't mix an elementary school play on that turd.

Do have a look at the new vids from NAMM though, those LED screen buttons are eerily familiar to me, as are all the buttons in general...but I'll quit pimping that thing. Someone might go out and buy one.