DAW Controller/Console - Suggestions?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
;tldr - Since it's a bit of a long read, with a bunch of background info... skip to the bolded part if you're in a hurry ;)

Since I just bought some new monitors and am building a new desk, I figured I'd look into some outboard gear, but quickly found it's quite expensive for good gear, and I already own plugins that should get me great results. I own tons of plugins, including Waves Gold, T-Racks and a few other good, paid plugins. However, I really miss being able to turn knobs on gear and hear the results quickly, rather than using a mouse to slowly change parameters. I went completely digital long ago, but for me, the interaction between the programs is a bit tedious at times, when it would be MUCH more simple with hardware.

I had pretty much given up on getting outboard gear or a console until recently I saw an ad for a used Mackie Universal Control. After looking up how much they sell for on the used market, I was quite surprised! It seems there's some decent Behringer ones out there that get some praise as well (though I'm quite hesitant to buy Behringer, as I'm sure most are - Though, I do own an ADA8000 and FCB1010 that are great pieces of gear), but it looks like there are some features that are really lacking on them?

I'll be using Pro Tools 9 (and Reaper) on Windows 7 Professional x64 with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I'd be using the console to control parameters in plugins (In general, all the plugins included in the Waves Gold package, if possible), automation and general simple tasks, like adjusting track volume/pan, etc. I just feel like I'd be able to mix much more efficiently, easier and most importantly, better, if I could adjust things at my finger tips, than clicking all over shit with a mouse.

Can the Mackie Universal Control do this? Are there any other out there you'd suggest in the <$500 range (used)? It looks like the Universal Controls are going for $300 or less on eBay, which is more than workable, and the Pro version is going for ~$5-600. Any downside to using a DAW controller, or more importantly, one of these cheaper ones?

I have both the MCU and the BCF. Everything about the Mackie feels better and layed out where you'd expect it. HUI mode just work in PT9 and Cubase. It's not quite as friendly for Reaper. The faders are a bit noisy and jerky on the BCF. If you get a MCU you'll probably have to clean and lube the faders. They just get stuck once in a while otherwise and it causes a misconfig error when it boots. I found it a big step up in productivity when I added a controller from just using the mouse.

Here's the link to cleaning them.
http://www.761mph.com/2009/03/tips-tricks/how-to-fix-pg-faders-on-a-mackie-control/

I have both the MCU and the BCF. Everything about the Mackie feels better and layed out where you'd expect it. HUI mode just work in PT9 and Cubase. It's not quite as friendly for Reaper. The faders are a bit noisy and jerky on the BCF. If you get a MCU you'll probably have to clean and lube the faders. They just get stuck once in a while otherwise and it causes a misconfig error when it boots. I found it a big step up in productivity when I added a controller from just using the mouse.

Here's the link to cleaning them.
http://www.761mph.com/2009/03/tips-tricks/how-to-fix-pg-faders-on-a-mackie-control/

Awesome!

I can live with control on PT9 only, I mainly use Reaper now, but only because I recently got Pro Tools and haven't learned how to use much on it yet. With a controller, I'm sure the switch would be MUCH easier ;)

Control surface won't get you better mixes, but i do have one and enjoy working on one. I would say that it can make mixing more fun and help you reach the same results you would have without faster, which is a big plus if your doing this for a living or profitable business. I would put hardware before control surface if i where you but if your satisfied with your plugins and really set on a control surface check out the Digidesign Command 8, you can find some used in good condition. I got mine a while ago and i'm loving it. I can't see not having one of these anymore, the workflow is just not the same, i find it much more intuitive. I'd recommend one of these especially since your going to be using pro tools. The monitoring section sucks however, which is balls because it could have been a nice feature but its no huge loss IMO. It's just a volume knob and I already had a TC electronics Level Pilot so i wasn't planning on using it anyways, i just got it for the DAW control features.

Control surface won't get you better mixes.

I know it won't get me better mixes, but I can certainly see it allowing me to mix better. There's just something about being able to actually move parameters as knobs, instead of virtually with a mouse, that has allowed me to mix better in the past. I'm sure my mixes now are much "cleaner," but they lack the body I've gotten before using hardware, because I find myself finding a few good sounds and then using them as presets with minor tweaks later, to save myself the headache of working with a mouse turning virtual knobs.

I'll definitely check into the Command 8, though, that was another on my list! ;) The only thing that really turns me off from it, is that it looks like it's only usable with Pro Tools? I've always been a huge fan of Cubase, and bought PT9 on a whim, I honestly haven't gotten used to it, the workflow is much different than what I'm used to, but I figured it was time to learn it. If I did end up going back to Cubase though, I think I'd like the ability to use the control surface for either program (or possibly Logic, if I ever switch to a Mac).

Control surface won't get you better mixes, but i do have one and enjoy working on one.

Not to mention you can't physically move 2 faders at once (say, for blending 2 guitar mics) if you're using a mouse.. OP I have a BCF that I just got a few weeks ago and it seems to work fine for me