Stereo Analogue EQ... Suggestions?

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys... I'm looking to grab some more outboard gear and I'd really love a nice analogue EQ to be the next piece of gear I buy. Something to do some BULK work on guitars/ drums etc... I've always loved using them on tracks whenever I can and leave the plugins for the surgical work.

Not looking to break the bank, but I'm up for suggestions. Currently the best bet I've seen is getting a Calreq clone made up.

Any suggestions???
Cheers,
Chris

I personally wouldn't waste my money on something average - what's your budget? GML is amazing. If you want something really cool for tracking with - 2 550Bs would be a good shout and not overly expensive. There's a Urei 545 at the studio I work at - weird little thing but I really like it on all sorts of things - you can't beat analogue filters. Love black SSL EQs as well.

What compression do you have? If you don't have an 1176 or distressor - I'd be inclined to grab one of those first. There's definitely a million things to buy before analogue EQs...

Hey guys! I was hoping < $1000 to be honest. I know there's quality to be had higher up, but from what I've played around with, even on the mid/ low price gear it's still a pleasant difference between the analogue vs digital EQ's that I've played with. I'd want it for bulking out toms/ kicks guitars etc. Audioarts Engineering Model 4200A Parametric EQ is one I was looking at. I also keep hearing good things about the Klark Teknik DN410

@AEL - I own a GSSL Clone for my outboard comp etc. I use the CLA comps ITB and personally I think they sound great. A Distressor in AU is WAY out of my price range, depsite wanting one :)

I've used a GML and hated it. Thought it sounded like a plugin (how crazy is that)
Api 550's are mint, but VERY broad.

The whole deal with the GML is that it's ultraclean and precise which sounds like isn't what you want anyway. For around 1k us I'd look @ JDK (an API offshoot) or speck.
Used I'd look around for the toft rack units that had the trident EQ. I don't think they made one without a preamp too but consider it a free bonus.
Certainly, if you're willing to spend more new or used it opens up a world of great neve, api, trident and other stuff.

I ended up grabbing an Audioarts 4200A in the end, and I have to say I'm VERY impressed with it.
It's a 1979 model and seems to be a GML copy essentially made by the company that is now Wheatstone. It's definitely colored, but so damn good. Even running guitars through it, without any eq going on, they are smoother and less tubby right off the bat, exactly what I was hoping for! The pots are a bit scratchy, so once I get it all serviced, it's going to be doing some heavy lifting alright.

I'll post some clips :)

Going to grab the cheap Golden age EQ73 myself... It's mono but it looks pretty cool and I've been gassing for a hardware EQ for too long.

can someone explain the purpose of spending 1g on a analog eq? To me their wouldn't be any difference between an analog and digital eq

The over-simplified explanation is that analog EQs generally sound better, especially when boosting or at extreme settings. That said, plug-ins are improving every day and many new plugs (UAD Massive Passive, DMG Audio EQuality) are neck and neck with much of their analog competition.

The over-simplified explanation is that analog EQs generally sound better, especially when boosting or at extreme settings. That said, plug-ins are improving every day and many new plugs (UAD Massive Passive, DMG Audio EQuality) are neck and neck with much of their analog competition.

Ah okay thanks Cory.

Btw your studio looks incredible. I had no idea you did JFAC doom and Genesis, those are the only two albums I really loved by them

And for add a little about this everything depend of what you want.
You can separate eq in two category;
-broad shaping eq
-surgical

For broad shaping you can find some really good eq without breaking the bank (still talking high end, quality eq) like a 550 pair, a summit eq200...etc.
For surgical, unless you spend a lot in a GML 8200 or a sontec... Your better choice is to stay with pluging like the sonnox oxford with gml option, or the massenburg mdw, mcdsp filterfreak...etc.
Pluging eq do surgical very well...

I spoke about that with lot of great engineer and all come to this conclusion;)

And for speak about 8200 sounding like a plugin, I have to disagree. Yes it's a really transparent and clean unit but top end on it is something really special. Sound like a polished top end with diamond on top. Air shine on it. Compare it to an avalon 2055 and you will understand;)