Budget DAW controller...any suggestions?

Thorax the Herdsman

Procrastinating Fuck
So right now I'm using a simple setup...just for my own noodlings and the one album so far I've for my band. Using Logic 8, and pic below for the rest:

p3007091641.jpg

It's pretty basic, and horribly located as you can see (I'm working on that :cry:) but like I say, for now it's just a little project studio.

I'm looking at getting a budget controller as I'm sure that even on the lower end of the price range I can get something that will be far more productive than keyboard and mouse. So my options price wise are probably things like the Faderport, Alphatrack, Behringer BCF2000 etc.

So can anybody recommend anything in this area? As far as other upgrades to my current kit go, I probably won't be looking at anything other than perhaps a second firepod for some more inputs. I'm pretty happy with the recordings with this kit but I've got a heck of a lot to learn yet before I start looking at the Mac Pro / 24 Channel / Big DAW controller setup I'd like one day :)

(if you like Opeth/Meshuggah/Porcupine Tree/Pink Floyd influenced prog metal, or generally want to rate/dump on my mixing ability :loco: you can hear my bands stuff I produced at myspace.com/asoftoday)

Ive thought about this myself. Im leaning toward the Faderport personally, but the Alphatrack looks cool too. Either one i guess would be good. The behringer shouldnt even be an option against those two.

The Behringer one is good, but the action of the motorized faders is too noisy.

I'm actually also thinking of getting a controller, but I'm not sure how a controller with just one fader would work for me. I've been thinking of going for the Korg Nanokontrol, but somehow whenever I decide to get it finally it just makes me think I probably don't need a midi controller after all. A GAS killer :(

Can't go wrong with this. Compatible with whatever DAW you're using. Guaranteed to be compatible with all the functions in your DAW.

Highly recommended.

Computer_Mouse.jpg

WOW! Which controller is that? I can already feel my workflow jumping through the roof.

I've got the BCF2000 and have no complaints other than the lack of LCD displays to see what fader is what. If you'd rather have one high quality fader then I'd go for the Faderport.