DAW Controllers - Alphatrack or PreSonus Faderport

It has preset buttons to flip between Pan, Send, Eq (whatever you default EQ is in protools you can choose a plugin, from memoryi think cubase might use the in built one) and automation,

Thanks dude :) Looks like I'm going for the alphatrack! I know you said you like to turn your screen off and mix but do you know if it has a zoom function?
Its not a major thing but it would be even more of a deal sealer if it did!

Thanks dude :) Looks like I'm going for the alphatrack! I know you said you like to turn your screen off and mix but do you know if it has a zoom function?
Its not a major thing but it would be even more of a deal sealer if it did!

No problem,
I dont know off hand if it can zoom, but it does have several assignable buttons so providing your DAW allows any button to be assigned to any function (i know cubase does) i see no reason why you couldnt set that up yourself if its not setup already.

I did a lot of comparison between the two and ended up getting the Alphatrack.

The Faderport feels a lot better. The fader is much more solid and the buttons have a better feel. The Alphatrack feels pretty cheap and the buttons are loud and have a terrible feel.

But feature to feature, the Alphatrack wins out and it has lasted me 4 years of nearly daily continuous use.

I don't use it for as much as I thought I would. After getting stickers for my keyboard and learning all the shortcut keys, I find it faster to use the keyboard than the alphatrack for all the usual control stuff.

Even with the touch bar, I am faster with a mouse and keycommands on the keyboard.

I do still use it for doing automation, precision level setting, and getting sends going and the like.

The fader flip and programmable buttons are super nice. But again, key commands are faster for me.

So I guess if you are using the fader and control only, then the Presonus is the way to go for better feel. But if you want flexibility at the cost of cheapy feel, then got he Alphatrack. As I said, I went with the Alphatrack.

For controlling other plugins, also take a look at the Novation Nocturn. That thing is pretty sweet and the programming is super easy and quick. I actually use that a LOT. Now that I have it all programmed the way I like it, it is really sweet for controlling EQ's and compressors.

I did a lot of comparison between the two and ended up getting the Alphatrack.

The Faderport feels a lot better. The fader is much more solid and the buttons have a better feel. The Alphatrack feels pretty cheap and the buttons are loud and have a terrible feel.

But feature to feature, the Alphatrack wins out and it has lasted me 4 years of nearly daily continuous use.

I don't use it for as much as I thought I would. After getting stickers for my keyboard and learning all the shortcut keys, I find it faster to use the keyboard than the alphatrack for all the usual control stuff.

Even with the touch bar, I am faster with a mouse and keycommands on the keyboard.

I do still use it for doing automation, precision level setting, and getting sends going and the like.

The fader flip and programmable buttons are super nice. But again, key commands are faster for me.

So I guess if you are using the fader and control only, then the Presonus is the way to go for better feel. But if you want flexibility at the cost of cheapy feel, then got he Alphatrack. As I said, I went with the Alphatrack.

For controlling other plugins, also take a look at the Novation Nocturn. That thing is pretty sweet and the programming is super easy and quick. I actually use that a LOT. Now that I have it all programmed the way I like it, it is really sweet for controlling EQ's and compressors.

Hell yeah it feels kinda plasticy and the buttons are clicky but its not actually that far from the feeling my old Digidesign Command 8 or Mackie Control had to get any better feeling with the same functionality i think you would be looking at Euphonix or the Newer Mackie MCU, its certainly not crap but its aint pro either.
For the price its just right IMO

My friend actually offered me his Nocturn for £20! Someone gave him £40 though...I didnt have £40 :(

Hell yeah it feels kinda plasticy and the buttons are clicky but its not actually that far from the feeling my old Digidesign Command 8 or Mackie Control had to get any better feeling with the same functionality i think you would be looking at Euphonix or the Newer Mackie MCU, its certainly not crap but its aint pro either.
For the price its just right IMO

Yeah not super impressed with the old Digidesign and Mackie stuff, especially at their price!

So in that perspective the Alphatrack is a great deal. The screen is very useful too BTW.

With either one, it seems intuitive to put it on your mouse handed side. Well at least intuitive to me. But I find it much better to be on the other side. I am right handed, so right hand on the mouse, left ready to use the Alphatrack. Can get levels set quickly that way, just have to keep your hand out of the way of the flying fader.

I also have Behringer BCF2000, I wish that had a screen on it. Even with the on-screen HUD, it is still rough.

Yeah i have a similar way of working,
Mouse in the right,
Alphatrack, Focusrite Liquid Mix, TC Electronic BMC-2 and Contour Shuttle Pro on the left.
I liked the idea of the behringer unit when it came out but the lack of screen kille dit for me, i ended up getting a Steinberg Houston - Well worth getting second hand for a cheap cubase surface they were selling for as little as £200 on ebay here in the UK at one point and can still be used in Cubase 5, i sold mine because i needed something i could use with Pro Tools

Hey you guys

Short question: Is it possible to connect the Faderport or Alphatrack to other daw controllers as, for example the Behringer BCF2000? My idea is to use the Faderport or Alphatrack for the Master Channel and functions like rec etc. and the BCF2000 for the other channels.

Would it work?

Thanks for your answers!

Hey you guys

Short question: Is it possible to connect the Faderport or Alphatrack to other daw controllers as, for example the Behringer BCF2000? My idea is to use the Faderport or Alphatrack for the Master Channel and functions like rec etc. and the BCF2000 for the other channels.

Would it work?

Thanks for your answers!

Thanks for searching!

You can typically mix and match controllers with no problems. I have an AlphaTrack, BCF2000, and a Novation Nocturn all working together seamlessly.

Depends on how you configure everything to set it up the way you like. My Alphatrack follows whatever channel I have selected. The Behringer moves in frames.

So I will have my AlphaTrack as my follow fader and I typically set up the Behringer to control each bus (Drum Bus, Vocal Bus, Guitar Bus, Bass Bus, etc.).

I know a lot of guys like the master fader. Personally I leave mine at unity and get the rest of my mix to stay low. Then I use a monitor controller to control the monitor levels. Or I will use the volume control on my interface.

Hey you guys

Would it work?

Thanks for your answers!

It may well depend on what DAW you are using as different DAW's (DAMN i hate the term DAW ! :bah: ) have different complexities of controller integration.

So throw us a bone and tell us what "DAW" you will be using.