Alphatrack vs. Presonus

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
very simple:

Alphatrack

Presonus

the presonus is 70 euro less, which is a small advantage, and also it has the "window selection" buttons which i can't see on the alphatrack.

on the other side alphatrack earned it's reputation for a reason i suppose...

going to the shop 2morrow, any advice?

I had the Alphatrack for a bit, but I cannot comment on how it was, as I had the grounding problem that some people get with it and their electricity. The fader simply wouldn't work, so I had to sell it.

I don't know if the Presonus suffers from a similar flaw, but just as a heads up, try the Alphatrack at your place first.

I've had the Presonus and was rather disappointed. Seemed cool at first but eventually I kept having issues with it and one day i started having issues with it being too slow and i hated having to wait 1-1.5 seconds for the unit to realize i had changed channels and for it to go into position before i could start doing something. I sold it and got a control surface instead. It's a cool tool when it works but feels rather cheap, i personally would save my money for something else. If you work in PT dry to grab a used command 8, at least you get 8 faders/rotary encoders on top of plugin control. Can't do much with just 1 fader, having multiple faders lets you do things you normally can't with a mouse on top of making your workflow faster, at least for me it has.

I've had the Presonus and was rather disappointed. Seemed cool at first but eventually I kept having issues with it and one day i started having issues with it being too slow and i hated having to wait 1-1.5 seconds for the unit to realize i had changed channels and for it to go into position before i could start doing something. I sold it and got a control surface instead. It's a cool tool when it works but feels rather cheap, i personally would save my money for something else. If you work in PT dry to grab a used command 8, at least you get 8 faders/rotary encoders on top of plugin control. Can't do much with just 1 fader, having multiple faders lets you do things you normally can't with a mouse on top of making your workflow faster, at least for me it has.

interesting, but i can't really see how 8 channels can come in handy.
i mostly want a fader to control automation and i obviously cant automate more than one channel at once... you know... having only one brain and 2 hands...

is there a controller out there that's designed specifically for PT?
iv'e searched the web and Avid site and those 2 are the best options i came up with

I dug the fact that the alphatrack had touch sensitive knobs as well as the fader.

Also, I though the touch pad was a nice feature. I messed with my buds presonus and though it was pretty good as well, but I honestly thought the alphatrack was nicer.

My only complaint with the alphatrack (don't know if they ever fixed this) was the pan reality when using it with cubase. You had to turn the stupid thing a full 360 degrees 3 times to get from Center to full L or full R. Where in pro tools, it acted normal.

*took down photo because of it's massive size. just imagine an alphatrack lying on an ikea dest...

WIN!

checked both of them out at the shop, Alphatrack is better.
altough both don't communicate THAT well with PT so e.g. you can't automate any parameter and it's not perfect...
from what i got Frontier stopped manufacturing the Alpha for some reason so the ones available at stores now are the last ones. funny thing is no company came up with a better model to replace it, and Avid doesn't have any DAW controller that's custumized specifically for PT. any idea why?

For small format control I think Avid is pushing the artist mix an artist control to integrate with PT.

Um, c|24?

have you just compared a 200€ one motor-fader controller to that 7500€ 24 cahnnel monster? :zombie:

about the "artist" series, none of the products are at the same price range, and the artist Transport doesn't have a fader and seems like it's designed for controlling PT but not really automating comfortably