TRAGODIA Mythmaker

Let's post all reviews / interviews about this album in this thread!

KR016CD_525x525_72dpi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First review online: 8/10 @ NecroWeb.de from Germany! :kickass::headbang:

"Eine italienische Band mit einem Ø im Namen, das hatte ich noch nicht. Glücklicherweise bleiben Tragødia musikalisch bei dem, wofür Italien bekannt ist: melodisch-bombastischer Metal wird auf “Mythmaker” zelebriert, und vielleicht reicht es nicht zum Mythos, aber zum Achtungserfolg sicher.

Tragødia sind allerdings weit entfernt von kitschiger Arrangement-Überfrachtung und symphonischem Orchester-Overkill. Zu jedem Zeitpunkt gleichzeitig melodisch und atmosphärisch, stützt sich ihr Sound stark auf das saubere und dynamische Spiel der Musiker. Besonders interessant ist der melancholische Charakter der Stücke, der “Mythmaker” in die Nähe der schwarzen Szene rückt.

Tief gestimmtes Riffing verleiht der Musik außerdem eine moderne Note, wodurch Erinnerungen an traditionelle Metal-Bands wach werden, wenn Roy Z. sie in die Finger bekommen hat: Bruce Dickinson, Helloween, vor allem aber Halfords “Crucible”.
Im nächsten Moment packen Tragødia den Doom aus und gleiten ebenso sanft wie langsam aus der Melancholie in die Depression. Viel Zeit bleibt dort aber nicht, denn die nächste melodische Lead möchte gespielt, das nächste Staccato gerifft, der nächste Refrain angestimmt werden.

Angesichts der hörbaren Schwermut hätte es mich nicht überrascht, wenn Tragødia aus Finnland stammen würden. Dort wäre das ø zwar ebenfalls sprachfremd, aber immerhin wäre die Stimmung landestypisch.

Der hauptsächlich im mittleren Register vorgetragene Gesang überzeugt nicht nur in seiner Intonation, sondern auch durch die richtige Mischung aus ohrenschmeichelndem Brustton und emotionalem Wimmern.

Je länger man “Mythmaker” hört, desto stärker fühlt man sich an eine Band erinnert, die in Listen von Klassikern des Genres oft übersehen wird: Saviour Machine. Sowohl die Stimmung als auch die Melodieführung von Gitarren und Gesang rückt Tragødia in die Nähe der Amerikaner, wenngleich Lombarde Luca Meloni nie so anstrengend jammert wie Eric Clayton und die Gitarren bei Tragødia letztlich doch immer eine Spur härter riffen als bei Saviour Machine.

Mit dramatischen Songs in vorwiegend gemäßigtem Tempo ordnen sich Tragødia schwarz gewandet irgendwo zwischen modernem Midtempo-Metal, melancholischem Doom und dezenter Progression ein und überzeugen letztlich durch sauberes Handwerk und ein Händchen für griffige Melodien. Kein Song ragt wirklich hervor, das Album lässt sich am Stück genießen, reißt aber auch nicht unbedingt durch den einen zwingenden Hit mit. Gelungen!" [Mystagog]

Link:
http://www.necroweb.de/tragdia-mythmaker/

10/10 @ Metal-temple.com (Greece)! :hotjump::hotjump:

"Progressive Power Metal was a genre popularized by titans such as ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE, combining the technicality, speed and fantastical lyrics of power, and the complexity and maturity of Prog. TRAGODIA, a Progressive Power Metal band from Italy, have proved once again why the genre is in such a strong position in the metal world, and why it is nigh-faultless. Writing music that exudes heavy influence from the aforementioned bands, TRAGODIA add their own brand of catchiness and groove to make it their own. After all, the whole point of a progressive band is to be progressive and push genre boundaries.

Their new album, "Mythmaker", contains almost all of the great qualities of such an album: it's heavy, it's melodic, it's progressive, it's catchy, it's heavy, it's groovy, it's… Heavy. It is by no means calm and jazzy, such as some of the work from the penultimate DREAM THEATER. In the mixing, the heavily over-driven guitars, and the drums, are at the forefront, adding vertebrae to the heavyweight backbone that drives this album. "A Cry Among the Stars", the opening, and one of my favorite song on the album, begins with an epic buildup reminiscent of SERENITY, cuts in with riffage worthy of neck snapping headbanging which paves the way for verses that contain an obvious DREAM THEATER note of trippy syncopation. Lucas Meloni, proves to have some vocal versatility, often switching between majestic, powerful notes, and Thrash-like yells. The twin guitarists have already proven, in the song's solo, that they are capable of an incredible dual-axe attack. "The Oracle" is one of the heaviest tracks on the album with crushing riffage all around, supplemented by guitar harmony that is on a Scandinavian level; best solo on the album, and there are many to choose from. "A Temple in Time" is a relatively chilled-out track in comparison, with an incredibly catchy guitar / keyboard harmony. I am hearing a lot of old FIREWIND in this track. The next track, "Wisdom in the Meadows of Sorrow" comes across as a highly versatile track, combining riffage reminiscent of AMON AMARTH, and the wails of JUDAS PRIEST; overall, this creates an incredibly driving track. "Tidal Waves of Greatness" is exactly that; smooth, yet anxious transitions between acoustic passages and grandiose and dramatic choruses. "Once In Arcadia" is another dominating heavyweight with riffage that is not only devastating, but also extremely catchy; very reminiscent of IN FLAMES; another standout track for me. "The Stone and the Idol" is the longest track on the record, though only capping out at 6:21. It starts with an allusion to yet even more epicenes with a tasteful symphonic intro, and leads into extremely groovy riffage, and ends with the best outro riff on the entire record.

"Born Under Niobe" may be constituted as the heaviest track, which is definitely saying something. The song begins with a downright battery and harsh, thrashy vocals, and riffage so heavy that leaves your brain pulsing with the force of the kicks. The chorus' vocal melody is extremely catchy, and Meloni proves his excellent vocal capabilities. It leaves you completely unprepared for a repeat of the previous bombard, and soon we hear a classic gallop passage that leaves one with the urge to windmill the beards off that the song has just made us grow. "Mythmaker" is an interesting track, opening with an unexpected tapping bass solo that paves the way for some pounding, driving groove riffage that constitutes the majority of the song, and leads seamlessly into the fantastic instrumental, "The Weeping Rock Of Seriphus". Arguably, this song doubles as both an outro and an extension of "Mythmaker", concluding the album in a dramatic, lengthy fashion. Finally, the bonus track, "Downfall Of The Ancients"; I struggle to see why this song was left out as a bonus track, for it most definitely deserves to be on the record. The atmospheric keyboard tracking is absolutely gorgeous, and complements the song very fittingly; with the rugged vocal work, combines to make a highly engaging track.

To sum up this work of metal mastery, TRAGODIA are simply one of the reasons Progressive and Power Metal are my two favorite genres of Metal, and do their home country of Italy proud; absolutely deserving of more publicity, and I believe would make an unforgettable live performance." [Daniel Fox]

Link:
http://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/reviews/cd_3/t_2/tragodia-mythmaker.htm

New review @ Headbangers Latinoamerica webzine - 8,5/10!

"El Progressive Power Metal, es un género que ha sido popularizado por los Titanes del género como: ICED EARTH y NEVERMORE, Combinando la técnica, velocidad y letras con contenido de fantasía del power metal, la complejidad y madures del Progressive Metal. TRAGODIA, una banda de power metal progresivo proveniente de Italia, prueban de nuevo el por qué este género ha ganado tantos adeptos dentro del mundo del METAL. Con una gran influencia de las bandas ya mencionadas. TRAGODIA, añade su propia marca a cada una de sus canciones dándole un estilo renovado que va hasta los límites del género creando una nueva posibilidad para este.

Este álbum “MYTHMAKER”, contienes las mejores cualidades de este estilo: es contundente, melódico, progresivo, pegajoso, Maravilloso. No contiene partes lentas tipo jazz como lo demuestra el penúltimo trabajo de DREAM THEATER, las guitarras grabadas de una manera más contundente, las baterías secas y novedosas, añaden una parte estructural que le da carácter a este álbum. “A Cry Among the Stars”, inicio del disco, y una de mis canciones favoritas, comienza con una serie de sonidos épicos que te recuerdan un ambiente como el de SERENITY, cortes con riff poderosos y dignos de un buen Headbanging, lo que da paso a los versículos que contienen un parecido con la forma musical de DREAM THEATER, Lucas Meloni, Demuestra tener una buena versatilidad verbal, haciendo cambios entre notas altas y majestuosas a gritos certeros como los del thrash, Cuando las dos guitarras son punteras, demuestran tener una calidad impresionante a la hora de los solos, “THE ORACLE”, es una de las canciones más pesadas del disco con unos riff aplastantes, completada por una forma musical escandinava. El mejor solo de este álbum y de verdad hay muchos para escoger.

“A Temple In Time” es un tema relativamente relajado en comparación con el resto del álbum, la armonía de la guitarra y el teclado es increíblemente pegajosa, estoy escuchando un poco de lo viejo de FIREWIND en esta canción, la siguiente canción es “Wisdom in the Meadows Sorrow”, se incluye con un estilo muy versátil, combinando los riff, de una manera similar a “AMON AMARTH y JUDAS PRIEST”, en general esto crea una línea increíble de composición, “Tidal Wavez Of Greatness” es exactamente eso, una transición suave, sin embargo con una confrontación entre partes acústicas y coros grandiosos y espectaculares, “Once In Arcadia”, un Track de otro mundo, Si hablábamos de temas contundentes que no solo sean devastadores, sino que también muy pegajosos, me recuerda mucho a “IN FLAMES”. Otro tema que destaco de este disco es “The Stone and the Idol”, es el tema con más duración del disco, aunque solo alcanza los 6:21. Comienza con un intro enfocado en un tema netamente sinfónico, que luego conduce a maravillosos riff, y termina con uno de los mejores riff de todo el disco.

“Born Under Niobe”, está constituida como la pieza más pesada, y sin duda puedo decir esto, la canción comienza completamente con una batería contundente, las voces thrash y los riff pesados dejan una sensación palpitante en el cerebro. La melodía vocal del coro es muy pegajosa, y de nuevo resalta el virtuosismo de Meloni. Te deja totalmente desprevenido para repetir el previo bombardeo. Y prontamente puedas oír un toque clásico con un pasaje que te deja con la mente cambiada y una sensación de que esto nos hizo crecer. “Mythmaker” es una pista interesante, que comienza con un inesperado solo de bajo, que deja una pauta en la estructura para algunos golpes, lo que conduce a una perfecta integración instrumental. “The Weeping Rock Of Seriphus”, Podría decirse que el fin de esta canción es ser un desenlace y extensión del tema “Mythmaker” Culminando el álbum con un dramático y alargado estilo, Finalmente el Bonus track, “Downfall Of The Ancients” Me cuesta creer el por qué esta canción quedo como un bonus track, ya que sin duda alguna debería formar parte del track list gravado para el disco, la composición en el teclado y la mezcla que este da a una voz resistente, se combinan para crear una pista realmente interesante.

Para resumir este trabajo una obra maestra, TRAGODIA es una de las razones por la cual el Metal Progresivo y el Power metal, son mis dos géneros favoritos, orgullo de su país Italia, absolutamente merecedor de más publicidad, en lo personal sería una experiencia inolvidable poder verlos en vivo." [Harold Gaines]

Link:
http://headbangerslatinoamerica.com/reviewsCD/septiembre2013/TRAGODIA2013.html

8,5/10 @ Time For Metal webzine from Germany!

"Tragodia haben sich 1996 in der norditalienischen Stadt Brescia zusammengefunden, um Epic/Progessive/Groove Metal zu spielen. Das erste Album The Promethean Legacy erschien 2007 und wurde 2012 vom Werk Theomachy gefolgt. Album Nummer Drei, Mythmaker, soll dem Quintett nun verhelfen, ein wirklicher Mythos zu werden.

Als das Album mit A Cry Among The Stars beginnt, bin ich überrascht. Positiv überrascht. Es wird nicht – wie so oft bei italienischen Bands – auf eine Überladung von Melodien, Symphonic und recht hohem Gesang gesetzt, nein, hier werden ruhigere und dunklere Töne angeschlagen, während der Gesang stets klar und in einer mittleren Tonlage bleibt. Tragodia spielen sich zwischen modernem Heavy Metal (wie z.B. in A Cry Among The Stars, Wisdom In The Meadows Of Sorrow und Born Under Niobe) zu Progessive Metal (Wisdom In The Meadows Of Sorrow, Mythmaker) bis hin zu leicht doomig angehauchten Stimmungen (Tidal Waves Of Greatness) und schaffen es auch, klassische Elemente (zu Beginn von The Stone And The Idol) einzubringen.

Fazit: Es fehlt zwar noch der absolute Knüllersong, doch Tragodia erzeugen eine enorme Stimmung und haben mit Mythmaker ein wirklich geniales Album produziert, das es gekonnt schafft, die Genres Modern Heavy Metal und Progressive Metal zu einem äußerst hörenswerten Werk zu verbinden. Für diejenigen, die sich eine Kreuzung aus James Labrie und Trivium wünschen, ist das Album eine absolute Kaufempfehlung." [Piety]

Link:

http://www.time-for-metal.eu/include.php?path=article&contentid=11611

New review from Germany - 8,5/10 @ Crossfire Metal Webzine!

"Mit den „Mythmaker“ von den Metallern Tragodie betritt eine vielversprechende Band die Bühnen dieser Welt. Mit dem Opener „Cry Among The Stars“ geht’s sofort straight zur Sache und die starke und charismatische Stimme des Shouters verleiht dem Opener zudem einen recht hohen Wiedererkennungswert im Chorus. Recht abwechslungsreich wird „The Oracle And The Muse“ nachgelegt, bevor der Stampfer „A Temple In Time“, von den krachenden Gitarren und dem hymnischen Chorus von „Wisdom In The Meadows Of Sorrow“ abgelöst wird. Das folgende „Tidal Waves Of Greatness“ zeigt balladeske Züge auf, ehe „Once In Arcadia“ durch die gebotene Eingängigkeit überzeugen kann. Nach dem das flotte und rifflastige „The Stone And The Idol“ einfach nur knallt, folgt das teils aggressive, teils melancholische „Born Under Niobe“, ehe das verspielte „Windows“ im Trommelwirbel eingeläutet wird, bevor das gelungene Instrumentalstück „The Weeping Rock Of Seriphus“, den Weg frei macht für den symphonisch startenden Rausschmeißer „Downfall Of The Ancients“, welcher keinen Banger ruhig bleiben lässt und damit diese starke Vorstellung beendet." [Markus Peters]

Link:
http://www.crossfire-metal.de/5605-0-TRAGODIA-MYTHMAKER.html

9/10 @ Metalzine.pl from Poland! :headbang:

"Włoska kraina zawsze miała silną reprezentację na polu melodyjnego, przebojowego heavy metalu, ale również gotyku i wszelkiej maści atmosferycznych dziwactw. Bez problemu więc trafiłem w dychę obstawiając, że płyta Mythmaker formacji Tragodia klimatycznym, melodyjnym heavy metalem będzie naszpikowana. Do tego dorzucić można garść progresywnych zagrywek i oto mamy wyśmienity krążek, który zapada w pamięć na wiele dni.

Tragodia istnieje na scenie od 1996 roku, czyli ładny kawałek czasu i w dorobku ma trzy pełne albumy. Nie znam niestety wcześniejszych dokonań grupy, ale nowa propozycja jest na tyle dobra, że uznaję ją za jedno z ciekawszych odkryć ostatnich miesięcy. Płyta naładowana jest ogromną dawką pozytywnej energii i mieniącymi się paletą barw emocjami, które udzielają się słuchaczowi. Popularne internetowe media określają muzykę Tragodii jako gothic metal, co pozostawię bez komentarza i jednocześnie gratuluję autorom takich twierdzeń poczucia humoru. Najprościej można by określić twórczość Włochów mianem progresywnego, melodyjnego heavy metalu z domieszką epickiego klimatu. Poza tym trafiają się elementy thrash metalu, jak chociażby w szybkim Wisdom In The Meadows Of Sorrow z chwytliwym riffem i lekkimi naleciałościami Judas Priest z okresu Painkillera. Nawet wokal Meloni’ego momentami wpada w manierę halfordowską. Dominują jednak utwory utrzymane w średnich tempach, z położeniem nacisku na melodię i klimat.

Otwierający płytę Cry Among The Stars od początku zaskakuje przebojowością, a niesamowita solówka przechodząca w motyw melodyczny wywołuje ciarki na plecach. Po tak dobrym otwarciu poziom kolejnych kompozycji jeszcze wzrasta, a początkowa, thrashowa część The Oracle And The Muse powoduje, że krew krąży w żyłach szybciej. Za to przy trzecim z kolei Temple In Time po prostu można oszaleć. To zdecydowanie najlepsza kompozycja na płycie, chociaż nieco bardziej wyważona, ale z tak genialnym refrenem, że nawet najbardziej wybredny krytyk musi dać się złapać na nuceniu go pod nosem. Pozostałe utwory trzymają w napięciu niemal tak samo mocno, a balladowy, epicki i poruszający Tidal Waves Of Greatness pokazuje bardziej liryczne oblicze muzyków, którzy do tej pory dawali słuchaczowi mocno w kość. Łagodny śpiew, delikatna gitara i klawiszowe tła przechodzą w mocniejszy refren z kolejną doskonałą melodią, którą będziecie nucić nawet po wyłączeniu płyty. Druga połowa płyty co prawda jest delikatnie słabsza, lub może lepiej powiedzieć, mniej zachwycająca, ale równie przebojowa, zapamiętywalna i chwytliwa. Utwór The Stone And The Idol wita nas symfonicznym rozmachem, by przejść w utrzymany w średnim tempie utwór, który chwilami kojarzy mi się z dokonaniami Orphaned Land za sprawą podobnej barwy wokalu i ogólnego klimatu. Najcięższy i najbardziej agresywny na płycie Born Under Niobe zaskakuje wrzaskliwymi wokalami na thrashową modłę, co pokazuje, jak wszechstronnym wokalistą jest Luca Meloni. Do końca płyty mamy jeszcze kilka zapierających dech w piersi patentów, jak rozpoczynający się niczym nowsze kompozycje Dream Theater utwór tytułowy. Takich technicznych motywów, załamań rytmu i ekwilibrystyki w riffach, jest na tej płycie sporo, stąd określenia progresywny w stosunku do metalu, jaki proponuje Tragodia. Po ostatnim programowym kawałku, instrumentalnym The Weeping Rock Of Seriphus, dostajemy jeszcze w bonusie zagrany na nowo Downfall Of The Ancients, który pierwotnie znalazł się na debiutanckiej płycie zespołu, wydanej w 2007 roku The Promethean Legacy. Po wybrzmieniu ostatnich jego dźwięków pozostaje już tylko chęć ponownego wciśnięcia „play”, by przeżyć to jeszcze raz.

Włochom udało się nagrać album tak dobry, że pochłonął mnie bez reszty na kilka dni. Naszpikowany praktycznie samymi hitami, mnóstwem doskonałych melodii, a do tego podany w takiej formie, że miłośnicy ambitnych, pogmatwanych utworów również będą mieli prawdziwą ucztę." [Atrej]

Link:
http://www.metalzine.pl/readarticle.php?article_id=673

5/6 @ Eternal-terror.com (Norway)!

"Based on what I've read about this Italian band, their previous albums (2007's "The Promethean Legacy" and last year's "Theomachy") were more in a gothic vein compared to what I hear on "Mythmaker". The five-piece have every right to explore new sounds and territories, because in today's world you only get one chance at life so you might as well create what the mind, heart, and body desires. As such, the 11 songs on this third studio full length seem to cross-pollenate between progressive metal and power groove with a slight edge to Scandinavian gothic strains a la Sentenced.

After a slightly spacey guitar/ keyboard led intro, the main riff to "A Cry Among the Stars" kicks in and I feel like I'm taking in Nevermore meets Psyco Drama (does anyone remember this Colorado progressive metal band?), while the multiple vocal harmonies swirl in and out in a beautiful way. Guitarist/ keyboardist Francesco Lupi and fellow guitarist Riccardo Tonoli has this intuitive sense of knowing when to layer their breaks and riffs and when to work off of each other to paint an aurally expansive picture. Sometimes the ending segments flow into the next explosive arrangement of a follow up: which occurs on the second song "The Oracle and the Muse" with these low tuned staccato crunch parts that then flow into a beautiful acoustic transition before returning to electric progressive power.

Tragodia also excel in tender moments- "Tidal Waves of Greatness" is a power ballad that will align well with those into Orden Ogan and Blind Guardian, drummer Daniele Valseriati performing some interesting offbeat cymbal/ snare triplet maneuvers during the verses that drive the dramatic waves of emotion home. Yes, there are certain segments where you feel that the symphonic parts can get a tad on the over-theatrical side in "The Stone and the Idol", but once the guitar kicks in all is forgotten and you remember that the band is still ‘metal' to the bone.

When most Italian bands go off on tangents or try to be technically sound, Tragodia lock onto the right riff/ chord combinations and keep the arrangements moving within 4-6 minute constructs. A fantastic effort overall, "Mythmaker" should be a solid choice for those into progressive metal with power and groove parts done the right way." [Matt Coe]

Link:
http://www.eternal-terror.com/reviews/index.php?id=3530&type=B

'Mythmaker' rated 8,5/10 (Top Album) @ Metallus.it!

"“Mythmaker” è destinato a sconvolgere gli equilibri di questo 2013 in ambito heavy metal. I Tragodia, dopo l’ottimo “Theomachy”, uscito appena un anno fa, piazzano la zampata vincente grazie al terzo disco in carriera, destinato a far parlare di sé a lungo. La band bresciana compie un ulteriore passo in avanti dal punto di vista compositivo, proponendoci uno stile maturo e coinvolgente, capace di convogliare in una manciata di song la tecnica chitarristica dei Nevermore, il gusto rabbioso degli In Flames e gli arrangiamenti melodici dei Savatage. Lo stile dei nostri si è fatto ancora più personale e gli accenni prog delle ritmiche, gli inserti sintetici di keys e le vocals cupe ed evocative, sono solo alcune delle frecce all’arco di “Mythmaker”, un lavoro assolutamente clamoroso.

I Tragodia partono alla grande con “A Cry Amon The Stars” sorretta da un guitar riff nervoso, in cui si muovono le melodie versatili ed epiche di Luca Meloni, voce particolarissima e graffiante, attorno alla quale la band cuce perfettamente addosso un vestito sonoro dirompente. Rispetto a “Theomachy”, sono stati alleggeriti gli arrangiamenti sinfonici, in favore di un approccio ancora più metal e maturo, lasciando che le orchestrazioni o le tastiere, sorreggano i brani solo nel momenti più emozionanti ed atmosferici. Come i dolci fraseggi di pianoforte di “A Temple In Time”, su cui si adagia un finale teatrale, a far da contraltare ad una parte ritmica nevrotica, o in “The Stone And The Idol”, in cui una sessione di archi incalzante si intreccia al riff della coppia d’asce Tonoli – Lupi. “Theomachy” è un album nato su basi classiche, quelle dell’heavy tradizionale e del thrash più tecnico, ma si è sviluppato attraverso una lettura giustamente moderna e colta, che non disdegna incursioni in altri generi e passaggi vocali volutamente drammatici ed accuminati. I Tragodia mettono in mostra sprazzi di grande tecnica (ascoltare l’incipit di basso della title track, prego), per questo non hanno paura ad osare, quando rallentano i tempi e ci propongono l’eterea “Tidal Waves Of Greatness”, una song squarciata da una melodia volutamente orecchiabile.

Giochi di ombre, coralità cinematografiche, fiammate ritmiche, solismi di classe: in questo lavoro ogni nota è al posto giusto nel momento giusto. La professionalità e grandezza di quest’opera è amplificata ulteriormente dalla produzione perfetta degli Elfo Studio, valorizzata dal mix brillante degli Sterling Sound di New York. Disco italiano dell’anno? Sicuramente si, ma non solo, “Theomachy” ha le carte in regola per sbaragliare la concorrenza anche a livello internazionale." [Alessandro Battini]

Link:
http://www.metallus.it/recensioni/mythmaker-2/

New interview with guitarista Francesco Lupi @ Metal-temple.com!

"Italian Progressive Metallers TRAGODIA have been hitting the road and recording music for 17 strong years, and now it’s time for the latest album to make another mark in their illustrious history as a band. “Mythmaker”, to be released on the first stages of November, contains epic lyrics and sounds that brings out the best of Progressive Metal. Guitarist and keyboardist Francesco Lupi sits down with Daniel Fox to take “Mythmaker” and the many influences that made it what it is.

Hello Francesco, how are you? Thanks for taking the time for this interview with Metal Temple.

Hi, I’m doing fine, thank you. And thank you very much indeed also for taking the time to interview me and talk about TRAGODIA.

Let's start from the top! Mythmaker alone contains deep and grandiose lyrical content, and is overall an epic album. From where does TRAGODIA draw musical inspiration?

Well, thanks for your nice words on the lyrical content of the album. Lyrics in metal albums very often pass unnoticed, either because we are generally more “focused” on the musical side of things or because they are conceived to just complement the music. In the case of TRAGODIA, lyrics are really important and it’s always been like this, even in the very early days. I think that it was our first vocalist, Giovanni, who lay the very foundations of TRAGODIA’s lyrical world. As years rolled by it was me taking over the task of writing lyrics, but I think I brought my own ideas and images into a domain which had been there since the first demo-tape in 1998! As you pointed out, both the music and the lyrics on Mythmaker are “epic”. They tell stories or paint pictures - even when there’s no proper narrative structure in them - that relate to past times. We’ve always been heavily influenced by the classical age and especially the ancient Greek world, with its myths and literature playing a big role in the project and happily tying in with the music. Themes such as decline, decadence, and the fall of human societies through the ages mean a lot to us as well. I would say that we are keen on a decadent way to being epic; we sing more about loss and failure than victories…

I think TRAGODIA’s music, especially on the latest album, has a very unique sound. In terms of lyrical content and musical direction, do you guys try to adhere to some sort of proforma that makes TRAGODIA special or do you deliberately aim to evolve with each record?

I feel we evolve in a very natural way with each release and there’s definitely no formula that we try to replicate. What we do is try to mix the different musical background that each band member carries along into a new musical offering. This usually turns into something very magmatic and highly unexpected. Sometimes we just want to please ourselves and try to find different solutions that might raise the musical excitement within the band to a new level. I’m glad that you find our present sound to be unique. We can hardly think of a band that might sound that similar to TRAGODIA. I guess it has something to do with our tastes in music ranging from classic Heavy Metal to early Norwegian Black Metal, just to name a couple, and the way they are all merged into what TRAGODIA is nowadays.

I hear a lot of NEVERMORE in Mythmaker, or at least in my opinion, I do. Believe me, it's a good thing, especially because of how you made this album your own. How much would you cite them as a musical influence? What about other bands?

Thank you for saying that, I feel honoured! Some of us are big NEVERMORE supporters indeed. I guess the guitar riffing could sometimes remind me of NEVERMORE, or the very fact that we have mainly clean vocals built upon a very tight and modern sounding rhythmic session. There are many other bands that played a big role in our musical background. Personally I’ve always been a huge fan of the British Doom-Goth bands of the nineties, especially PARADISE LOST and MY DYING BRIDE, but also KATATONIA and other great Scandinavian bands. I feel that you can still perceive some features of that sound in TRAGODIA, though the can be heavily diluted and merged with other elements.

Luca \[Meloni] has quite a unique voice, and suits the music perfectly. When recording, does the band lay out guitar, bass, drum and keyboard tracking first, and then only record vocals over that? Or are lyrics and vocal melody predetermined?

I would say that most of the lyrics and vocal melodies are predetermined, even though they are generally the last thing to be tracked - or the second last in case we have keyboards to add.. We might just write and add some vocal harmonies at a later stage when we have a clearer idea of how each song sounds, to perfect the arrangements. I feel that Luca’s voice is one of the strongest elements in TRAGODIA’s sound. He’s very versatile and has a highly recognizable clean singing, which fits TRAGODIA’s sound perfectly. Our songs are not meant to have very high pitched vocals, but the guy can also sing in killer Heavy Metal falsetto fashion as well!

I liken Luca's voice very much to that of Georg of SERENITY. This is a shot in the dark, but do you see similarities between you two, or the two bands? If it means anything, I am a huge fan of both.

Well, I’m not familiar with SERENITY, therefore I’m not in the position to add any comment on your comparison, but this intrigues me though. I will definitely find out by listening to the band. Thanks for your suggestion! And, yes, your appreciation means a lot!

2013 marks quite an eventful year for you guys. Mythmaker's release marked a change in label to Kolony Records (congratulations for both, by the way). Many bands I know of experience change in their music, some dramatic, when changing labels. Would you say the migration has influenced the writing process much, or was it just a case of legality and business?

Kolony Records is a really proficient Metal label and I’m a huge fan of some bands signed to them, like BE’LAKOR, TO CAST A SHADOW and SECRETS OF THE SKY. We are the least extreme band in their roster but I can’t say that earning a deal with Kolony altered our sound. All the songwriting had been done prior to signing with them. This migration has been a big step forward for us since Kolony is a really focused label with a solid vision and has already displayed highly effective strategies in the never quiescent music business. We are tightly cooperating to push TRAGODIA way further than we ever could in the past 17 years!

I noticed a lot of nice keyboard work in your music. Do you employ session musicians for live shows, or just use a backing track? Have you therefore put thought towards auditioning and hiring a permanent keyboardist?

Thank you, I’m glad you like the keyboards! For live shows, we use a backing track. Keyboards used to play a way bigger role in TRAGODIA’s early days. One of the original band members, Carlo, was in fact a keyboardist. Given the marginalized role of keyboards in present TRAGODIA, we agreed on not expanding the line-up by adding another permanent member nor relying on a session musician on stage: he/she would end up playing just little bits here and there and not even through the entire setlist. Having said that, keyboards have a different and possibly bigger role on Mythmaker than on Theomachy, our previous album. They now sound less orchestral and delve deeper into electronic sounds and arrangements. I think they add some depth to each song on the album, without being too invasive.

I also hear gorgeous harmonized guitar solos and melodies, particularly in “Born under Niobe”. Does you write and play all of Tragodia's lead guitar, or do you and Riccardo \[Tonoli] share rhythm and lead duties?

This is a very good question, since on Mythmaker we had to review a bit our way of doing things in the studio. First of all, Ricky and I, as guitarists, are huge fans of harmonized guitar melodies and solos; we just can’t get enough of them! We also like to harmonize the very rhythmic sections here and there. We’ve always split our duties in the recording studio, regardless of who wrote what. In the past we would personally track the parts and then we would play in a live situation, alternating solos and so on. For Mythmaker, Ricky had to record all the guitars himself (I mean, every single bit!) because some months before TRAGODIA went back to the studio I moved to South Africa and couldn’t possibly join them for the whole production cycle and current activities as well. That’s why we now have a super skilled guitarist, Silvano Richini, who’s taken over my position in the band. On the contrary all the keyboards were done by me and sent over to the guys in Italy so that they could incorporate them in the final mixes.

To me, your lyrical work and song titles scream with the grandeur of epic poetry. Are there any plans for a concept album in the works? If so, would it be an original concept or based on history/myth?

Thank you! I truly appreciate your emphasis on the lyrics, they mean a lot to us. Many tracks on both title and lyrics-wise are freely inspired by some ancient Greek myths and dramatic and epic literature, but in the past we’ve been influenced, among others, by Romantic literature as well. Poetry itself is a highly relevant lyrical topic for the band that I forgot to mention before. As of now we don’t have any plans for a concept album; I guess we feel there are too many stories that have to be told (or retold) before we can concentrate on a proper concept album. I myself am not a huge fan of concept albums, but you never know!

As a founding member speaking for yourself, did you have a general sense of musical direction, expecting to arrive at a destination like “Mythmaker”, or did you just let creativity take its course?

We had no idea we would end up writing an album like Mythmaker. We just let creativity take its course and every musician that joined the band through the years contributed their skills and ideas. We started as a Doom-Goth band, heavily influenced by Black Metal and some of the amazing avant garde bands that were around in the nineties, just to slowly progress into what we are now. It’s been a really interesting and exciting evolution, at least for us!

Francesco, thank you for your time in this interview. It has been a pleasure. I wish you and the guys the best of luck on the road ahead and with the new release. Any last words for the readers?

You are very welcome! Huge thanks to Metal Temple and to you for kindly letting me introduce Mythmaker to your readers. Give Mythmaker a try, you might find it interesting, and please feel free to get back to us anytime to share your feelings about it. That would be much appreciated!" [Daniel Fox]

Link:
http://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/musicians/interview-francesco.htm

83/100 @ Lords Of Metal webzine! :Smokin::wave::devil:

"Tragodia already went through capricious, challenging times. That is only natural, taking in consideration that this Italian band, hailing from Brescia, exists since 1996. Initially the band had been picked up by Dutch Dark Balance label and on their debut album (released in 2007) The Promethean Legacy one could hear gothic metal with male and female vocals. These days, however, not a glimpse of that style can be found in their music. On the sophomore album Theomachy (2012), founding members Francesco Lupi (guitars, keyboards) and drummer Daniele Valseriati presented a brand new singer and an upgraded sound. This line-up with singer Luca Meloni, completed with guitarist Riccardo Tonoli and bassist Luca Paderno appeared to be a stable move, since they are all present again on Mythmaker.

Tragodia plays energetic progressive metal, comparable with the heaviest moments of Dream Theater, Symphony X and Fates Warning. When the five-piece kicks off with A Cry Among The Stars it sets right away the roof on fire. Excellent clean vocals, finger-blistering fast guitar skills and some fetching melodies on top of that. Those are ingredients we can find in opulence on this album. The Oracle And The Muse really charms with its catchiness, mainly due to its infectious keyboards. Sometimes vocals go to a lower, darker range here. On the other hand we hear incidentally high shrieks in Priest style in the vigorous Wisdom In The Meadows Of Sorrow, although it is more of an echo to add a fine zest to the common vocals. The songs have enough diversity; that is why your attention remains focused. One can find a semi ballad in Tidal Waves Of Greatness, while those raging, low-tuned guitars in the longer The Stone And The Idol happen to be graced with tasteful symphonic arrangements. As well-done contrast, Born Under Niobe starts with some sturdy scream-like vocals, but it ends with a beautiful atmospheric passage on synthesizers and guitars. The mid-paced The Weeping Rock Of Seriphus also includes a mellow and fine fade out. But the backbone of this record is fervent skilfulness with modern, dynamic grooves in the guitars. In brief, this is an excellent heavy prog metal album that blows your speakers with its superior mastering at Sterling Sound Studios (New York)." [Vera]

Link:
http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/en/reviews/view/id/25650

8/10 @ Metal.it!

"Tornano dopo solo 1 anno dal bellissimo "Theomachy" i conterranei Tragodia e lo fanno con un album che senza dubbio va a giocarsi la palma di migliore della loro discografia al sopracitato penultimo lavoro.

"Mythmaker" infatti riprendere esattamente la dove "Theomachy" finisce, regalandoci una band in grandissimo spolvero dal punto di vista tecnico e interpretativo, grazie ad una performance senza fronzoli e senza difetti eclatanti, sia musicalmente sia dietro al microfono, dove un grandioso Luca Meloni sforna una prestazione all'altezza dei grandi del settore.
La proposta musicale dei bresciani, rispetto al passato, si arricchisce di una componente gothic più marcata, mantenendo comunque ben salde le proprie radici in un heavy/prog dalle tinte oscure, con una venatura thrash che ogni tanto sbuca dal pentagramma, come nell'attacco di "The Oracle and the Muse".
Azzeccatissimo è anche l'uso mai esagerato e fuori posto dei controcanti, che contribuiscono nel donare alle varie tracce un'aura epica e quasi sacrale, ben supportate da un comparto strumentale sempre all'altezza e votato a un'anima adeguatamente oscura.
Fanno capolino qua e la echi dei Paradise Lost, in maniera più pressante rispetto al passato, cosa che può solo far bene dato il risultato finale. "A Temple in Time" ne è un esempio chiarissimo, in particolare per "colpa" della voce di Meloni, così ispirata a Nick Holmes, così come un brano più intimo e personale quale "Tidal Waves of Greatness".
L'album comunque si mantiene su altissimi livelli anche nei frangenti più ariosi e tirati, come nella splendida "Wisdom in the Meadows of Sorrow", la quale si presta in maniera perfetta anche per mettere in mostra il talento di Lupi e Tonoli alle chitarre e dei sempre precisissimi Paderno e Valseriati alla sezione ritmica.
Davvero interessante è anche il comparto testuale di "Mythmaker" che, come capitato anche sui passati lavori, va a pescare a piene mani nella mitologia e nella storia a più ampio respiro, mettendoci di fronte una band che dimostra di essere matura anche sotto l'aspetto degli argomenti trattati, assolutamente mai banali e demagogicamente spicci.

Se a tutti questi aspetti positivi aggiungiamo una copertina davvero ben realizzata e una produzione praticamente perfetta, è semplicissimo rendersi conto del fatto che quello che abbiamo per le mani è l'ennesimo ottimo album, da parte di una formazione che avrà sicuramente da dire la propria per molti anni a venire, non solo in Italia ma anche nel resto del mondo conosciuto." [Andrea Gandy Perlini]

Link:
http://www.metal.it/album.aspx/22412/14838/tragodia-mythmaker/

Interview with Tragodia's guitarist Riccardo Tonoli @ Metal Underground!

"xFiruath: How did you get hooked up with Kolony Records and how is that collaboration going so far?

Riccardo: We’ve known Lorenzo, the owner of Kolony Records, for a long time since he was playing in Tragodia too some years ago. We submitted him the new stuff in advance and he liked it very much so it soon came to an agreement for the new album release. We are very happy for the collaboration so far, since we work in close cooperation on a daily basis with the label. The “Mythmaker” promotion is going very well and several very positive reviews/interviews are coming out right these days.

xFiruath: “Mythmaker” is coming out only a year after “Theomachy.” When were these tracks written, and how do you feel this album differs in sound from the last release?

Riccardo: The new album was written between November 2012 and March 2013. The whole songwriting process took a very short time if compared to our previous album, since we had some strict deadlines before entering the studio. We feel this new album is quite different from “Theomachy,” both in terms of sound and songwriting approach. We mixed each one of us’ influences in “Mythmaker,” some of us listen to thrash metal, some to power metal, prog, etc. and gave much more relevance to clean vocals and voice overdubs, choruses, etc. in order to give more epicness to our music.

xFiruath: Where did recording take place and who did you work with?

Riccardo: “Mythmaker,” as well as our two previous albums “The Promethean Legacy” and “Theomachy,” was recorded at Elfo Studio in Piacenza, Italy by producer and close friend Daniele Mandelli. Some guitar/bass and vocal takes were recorded at our home made studios and then everything was mixed at Elfo Studio. Mr. UE Nastasi did mastering at Sterling Sound in New York.

xFiruath: What’s happening with the themes and lyrics on “Mythmaker?”

Riccardo: Both the themes and the lyrics on Mythmaker are “epic,” they talk about past times, classical age and especially the ancient Greek world, with its myths and literature playing a big role and happily tying in with the music. Themes such as decline, decadence, fall of human societies through the ages are recurrent in our lyrics. I would say that we are keen on a decadent way to being epic; we sing more about loss and failure than victories.

xFiruath: There’s already been a lyric video release, and I’m wondering – will there be an official music video or additional lyric clips coming out?

Riccardo: We are planning to release a music video in the next few months. We have some ideas about it but nothing decided yet; we are thinking about filming a live performance and including it in the new video clip. We are also thinking about releasing a further lyric video in the future, since we think this is a very good and cheap way to promote the band online.

xFiruath: What’s happening in your local metal scene and have you been to any great shows lately?

Riccardo: The local metal scene here in northern Italy is quite alive, even if there’s no a concrete feedback when it comes to record sales, but that’s a problem with all kind of music in Italy. While a few years ago Italy was almost unknown abroad when it came to metal bands, nowadays we have several artists that are being successful in the international metal scene. See Lacuna Coil, Rhapsody of fire, Fleshgod Apocalypse, The Foreshadowing, Hour of Penance, Forgotten tomb, etc.

Unfortunately in Italy we don’t have any huge metal festival unlike in the rest of Europe but there are many local clubs hosting international tours, especially in northern Italy: last week we went to see Leprous in Milan and it was an amazing show. A few weeks before we went to Shadow Gallery’s show and it was cool because it was one of their few European dates.

xFiruath: Will you be hitting the road to support the new album?

Riccardo: Yes. We recently had our first German show ever in Passau and it was a blast! We have two more shows in Italy scheduled for the next weeks and another one in Munich , Germany and one in Innsbruck, Austria in December. We are working hard to schedule many more dates in Europe for 2014.

xFiruath: Outside of your own music, what’s happening in metal that you are excited about, and what albums are you listening to?

Riccardo: I’m very excited about In Flames upcoming new album; I recently read they entered the studio in order to record it. I’m a huge fan of In Flames and cannot wait to listen to their new stuff since I loved the latest album. In this period I’m listening to some newly released albums, especially: “Surgical Steel” by Carcass, “Fortress” by Alter Bridge, Dream Theater’s self-titled and some older stuff like “Koloss” by Meshuggah and Nevermore’s “This Godless Endeavor.”

xFiruath: Is anyone in Tragodia active with other projects right now?

Riccardo: Most of us are active with other projects, even if Tragodia is the main band for all of us. I’ve just finished to record an instrumental solo album entitled “Divided Line Theory” in the mood of John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, etc. and I hope I’m gonna release it soon. Francesco is the main man behind black metal project Ogen, and he released an EP in 2011 entitled “Black Metal Unbound.” Our singer Luca M. will be the voice of the prog project Dissonant Silence that will be recorded during the next year." [xFiruath]

Link:
http://www.metalunderground.com/interviews/details.cfm?newsid=97168

New review 8/10 @ Metal1.info (Germany)!

"TRAGØDIA aus Italien bestehen seit 1996, spielen epischen Progressive-/Power-Metal und ich habe noch nie was von ihnen gehört? Das mag vielleicht daran liegen, dass die Band damals mit Doom und Gothic Metal startete, ein in Genrekreisen eher unüblicher Umstand, der sich auf dem aktuellen Output „Mythmaker“ bemerkbar macht. Eine doomige Version von Blind Guardian oder Nevermore also? Diese Frage, ebenso wie das an die griechische Mythologie erinnernde Cover machten mich schon verdammt neugierig auf jenen genresprengenden, musikalischen Koloss, der sich da aus meinen Boxen zwängen möchte.

Kolossal ist das Gesamtwerk sicherlich nicht, dennoch überraschen TRAGØDIA mit einer herrlich atmosphärischen und überaus gelungenen Neuinterpretation jener progressiven Spielart, die auch schon Bands wie Nevermore zelebrierten. Wie viele Einflüsse dort zu finden sind, ist schon beachtlich: Hier ein typischer Heavy-Scream, dort ein doomiger Walzen-Riff mitsamt Tempodrossel, dann plötzlich wieder Twin-Guitar und Power Metal. Das macht schon Spaß, auch wenn es in den ersten Durchläufen vielleicht etwas überfordern könnte, einige Parts gar Fehl am Platz wirken und die vokale Leistung eines Luca Meloni sicher im klaren Gesang und weniger im Brüllen oder Schreien liegt – jene wirken kraftlos und auf „Genre-komm-raus“ getrimmt. Das lässt sich aber so was von verschmerzen, erliegt man erst mal den magischen Melodien, die „Born Under Niobe“ oder „The Oracle And The Muse“ aus dem Nichts hervorzaubern; und das sind nur Beispiele, erscheint doch „Tragodia“ als wahre Fundgrube der Eingängigkeit.

Auch die Instrumentierung lässt hier keine Wünsche offen: Mit den vielen Keyboards dürften sich Gothic-Affine schnell anfreunden, die flotten und höchstmelodischen Riffs können den Power Metaller in mir schnell zufrieden stellen, langsame und schleppende, ja wirklich düstere Stampfer erfreuen den Doomer und auch dem Progressive Metal wird gehuldigt, haben TRAGØDIA doch den ein oder anderen vertrackte Moment im Petto. Der wohlige Wechsel zwischen Up- und Mid-Tempo schwingt gekonnt und ohne aufgesetzt zu wirken zwischen den verschiedenen Spielarten hin und her, die großartigen Refrains beißen sich rasch in den Hirnwindungen fest und das abwechslungsreiche Gesamtbild lädt immer wieder zur Entdeckungsreise ein. Negativ fällt da leider der Sound auf: Für meinen Geschmack zu stumpf, hätte man daran noch feilen können, aber hier meckert man, wie man so schön sagt, auf hohem Niveau.

Unterm Strich sollte jeder offene Hörer mal mindestens ein Ohr riskieren, denn TRAGØDIA machen auf „Mythmaker“ eine wahrlich großartige Figur. Der Genremix mag zu Beginn etwas verwirren, hat man sich jedoch erst mal reingefuchst, bringt das vorliegende Album jede Menge Freude. Genannte Abstriche kann man gut verschmerzen, hat man doch mit „Mythmaker“ einen ziemlich vielfältigen Brocken musikalischer Überraschungen vor sich. Ich bin überzeugt." [Steffen Eschmann]

Link:
http://www.metal1.info/cd-dvd-reviews/tragodia-mythmaker/

7,8/10 @ Metalship.org (France)!!

"Tragodia est une formation italienne, qui n’est pas née de la dernière pluie. Le groupe a été fondé en 1996 et a connu de nombreux changements de line-up. Il possède à son actif deux démos et trois albums. « Mythmaker » est en effet sa troisième sortie longue durée.

Le style du groupe n’a cessé d’évoluer au fil des ans. « The Promethean Legacy » proposait un Metal Gothic des plus classiques, avec vocaux masculins et féminins, tandis que « Theomachy » voyait le groupe s’éloigner quelque peu des ses premières amours, en complexifiant son discours.

L’écoute de « Mythmaker » prouve que la formation a terminé sa mue. Gardant des éléments qu’elle a su développer dans ses opus précédents, la troupe est parvenu à les agrémenter d’autres composants et à les agencer de manière intelligente.
Œuvrant dans un registre Metal mélodique, les italiens offrent certaines compositions inspirées dans lesquelles transparait le talent indéniable de ses géniteurs. L’introductif « A Cry Among the Stars » et son riff que n’aurait pas renié Dream Theater, laisse entrevoir tout le potentiel des lombards. Il s’étire tout en mélodie et puissance, deux substances que l’on retrouve dans la mixture élaborée ici.
Les références ne manquent pas de venir à l’esprit pour l’auditeur qui se plonge dans « Mythmaker ». Outre Dream Theater déjà cité, notons quelques intonations rappellant Nevermore, tandis que plane l’ombre d’Iced Earth tout au long de cet opus. N’allez cependant pas croire que les Brescians se contentent de singer leurs glorieux ainés. Ils parviennent à créer des titres accrocheurs et personnels. Ne reniant pas son passé, Tragodia laisse échapper quelques riffs évoquant plutôt le Metal Gothic.

Les qualités techniques de Tragodia sont incontestables. Le jeu de guitares alterne entre puissance et parties mélodiques bienvenues, les soli ayant fait preuve d’un travail remarquable, en témoigne « Born Under Niobe » ou encore « The Oracle and the Muse ». La section rythmique fait une bonne prestation, sans tomber dans la démonstration, comme c’est parfois le cas dans ce genre musical. Notons enfin les vocaux de Luca Meloni qui siéent parfaitement à l’ensemble. Sans chercher à épater la galerie, ce dernier est capable de varier son approche, en modulant légèrement le grain de sa voix. Sur « Wisdom in the Meadows of Sorrow », il parvient même à s’approcher du Metal God, Rob Halford.
Ajoutez à tout cela quelques notes plus électroniques ainsi que quelques touches de clavier qui viennent apporter une valeur-ajoutée certaine à ce disque. Le travail d’orchestration sur « The Stone and the Idol » est à ce propos vraiment intéressant et apporte encore plus de variété au discours du quintet.

« Mythmaker » est, vous l’aurez compris, un très bon album de Metal mélodique, puissant et moderne à la fois. Il laisse éclater au grand jour les immenses qualités de Tragodia, qui, à force de travail, parvient à donner naissance à des compositions dignes d’intérêt. Espérons que ce disque permette à la formation italienne d’élargir son auditoire pour prêcher sa bonne parole." [Shamash]

Link:
http://fr.metalship.org/albums/32657-Mythmaker#chro-3796

8,5/10 @ Powermetal.de from Germany! \m/ \m/

"RAGODIA wurde bereits 1996 als Gothic-Metal-Band gegründet und hat seit Veröffentlichung des Debütalbums im Jahre 2006 eine bemerkenswerte Entwicklung hingelegt. Denn die Band hat immer mehr der typischen Stilelemente, die Klavierbegleitung zur gedämpften Gitarre in den Strophen, die übertriebene Vorliebe zum allzu geraden Takt und ähnliches Stück für Stück über Bord geworfen. Ersetzt wurde dieser Ballast durch Elemente aus dem progressiven Power Metal der europäischen Spielart, was dem Gesamtsound hörbar gut tut.

Und nun, mit "Mythmaker" erreicht diese Entwicklung vorerst ihr Ende. Auf zehn neuen Songs und einer Neueinspielung vom Debütalbum zeigt die Band ihr ganzes Können und bietet eine durchweg starke Vorstellung.

Basis des Bandsounds sind aggressive Gitarren, die leider etwas zu modern und wenig raumgreifend in Szene gesetzt wurden, untermauert von abwechslungsreicher Rhythmusarbeit und großzügigem Keyboardeinsatz. Damit erinnert man prinzipiell an die letzten KAMELOT-Alben mit Roy Khan am Mikro, geht aber weniger schwülstig und deutlich songorientierter zu Werke. Auch scheut man sich nicht davor, in den Strophen das eine oder andere Mal das Tempo deutlich anzuziehen und verdächtig nahe an den Power Thrash heranzupirschen. Auch beim Gesang wird in diesen Momenten die nötige Aggression nicht gescheut und man kann daher von gelungenen Ausbrüchen sprechen.

Doch die Stärke von TRAGODIA liegt eindeutig in den Refrains, bei denen man sich die Vorliebe der Gothic-Vergangenheit für hohe Eingängigkeit und ein gutes Maß Bombast bewahrt hat. Da die Band aber nie wirklich in plumpe Kitschorgien versinkt, bieten diese Refrains immer Orientierungspunkte innerhalb der Songs und setzen sich direkt im Ohr fest. Am besten kann man das im vorab veröffentlichten 'A Temple In Time' oder 'The Stone And The Idol' bewundern. Alle Stärken bündelt die Band jedoch in 'Born Under Niobe', das durchaus als Referenz dafür herhalten kann, wofür TRAGODIA im Jahre 2013 steht: Vertrackte Rhythmusarbeit, variabler Gesang und variabler Keyboardeinsatz, instrumentale Qualität und vor allem Breitband-Refrains, die sowohl Freunde des europäischen Power Metals als auch des Gothic Metals begeistern sollten.

Somit ist "Mythmaker" eine rundum starke Scheibe geworden, die sich Freunde von modernem Power Metal, Progressive Metal und Gothic Metal gleichermaßen einmal anhören sollten, um sie sodann vielleicht in ihre Sammlung und ihr Herz zu schließen." [Raphael Päbst]

Link:
http://powermetal.de/review/review-Tragodia/Mythmaker,23200,23115.html

9/10 @ The Ripple Effect webzine (USA)!

"Another progressive powerhouse from Italy! First track from this epic band hits you like a runaway train. " A Cry Among The Stars". Solid musicianship. killer solo, sing able chorus, memorable riffs. Often with progressive bands you are overwhelmed by algebraic concepts of what makes a song. In that mix, tragically. the listener is trampled.

Not the case with this band.
Superior performance and accessible lyrics intertwined with incredible depth of melody. It is all here.

Truly "Mythmaker" is a roadmap to an enlightened form of progressive metal. I'm hearing shades of Deep Purple, Kamleot, Fates Warning, Queensryche woven into the metal tapestry. This is a great album for any fan of progressive hard rock/metal.

The twin guitar bombardment is amazing. Precise and fluid, they shred when they are supposed to. The production is simply well done and creatively enhances the inner workings of this band. This is an epic disc that swirls around your mind long after the disc has stopped playing.

Tragodia should be elevated to the top of the progressive metal wall soon enough. They raise the bar on performance and power metal. This is true metal. Artists that use the effects of light and shade and transforms mere instruments into weapons of sonic energy that echoes through the universe.
Get this album now and play it loud!!!!!!"

Link:
http://ripplemusic.blogspot.it/2013/11/tragodia-mythmaker.html