Trans-Siberian Orchestra 11/25 Manchester, NH

neonblak

Steve
Oct 21, 2005
New Mexico
I was able to see TSO for the first time this past weekend. They put on a great show. The ticket prices were kinda steep ($400 for 6 tickets), but worth it IMHO. The east coast lineup features Caffery and Skolnick, along with Jeff Plate, Bob Kinkel and Mark Wood. Seeing both Caffery and Skolnick on the same stage for nearly two hours was just amazing. The stage effects were the best I've ever seen. It's a definately a high budget show. They seemed to shoehorn most of the light effects, pyro, etc.. into the second half though.

I'm not sure if the majority of those in attendance were aware of exactly who they were watching. The ages ranged from about 5 to 75. The band had a relatively "heavy" sound and setlist, and the crowd loved it. I actually brought my parents and my girlfriend along to this one. They don't share any of my interests in music, but they enjoyed it.

In terms of commercial success, this band is certainly greater than the sum of it's parts, which is discouraging in a way. I've passed on a couple TSO shows over the years, but haven't even had the chance to hit a Testament or Savatage gig. I can say that everyone raved about the show on the way out of the venue (myself included). I'd watch 2 hours of Chris Caffery over 2 hours of Alexi Laiho anyday.

I've seen them 3 years in a row. They put on a great show, but their setlist is always the same. I've got my fingers crossed for a Savatage reunion <3