Travis, I have a question for you.

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hey man,
I was wondering how much of your art is hand painted and how much is photos/photo-manipulated? Also you use textures a LOT in your art. Do you make the textures yourself or do you find them online? Are they painted or photographed? I'm assuming you use photoshop to do your work. What layer properties do you normally use for overlaying the textures? Overlay? Multiply?

Thanks,
Jake

Thanks Travis.

Is it real paint or painted digital (like Photoshop or Painter with a wacom) ? If it's real paint then what medium?

So BWP was entirely painted? Maybe you should do fully painted stuff more often hehehe... BWP is my favorite piece of yours (and my favorite album ever but that's not important...)

Painted digitally doesn't mean graphic design and if that's what you believe then you are REALLY, R E A L Y IGNORANT. That's not what I was implying.

A graphic designer is involved in any visual project that use typography, photography, illustration and layout. That doesn't mean he takes his own photos or draw their own illustrations. 99% of the time they don't.

An illustrator is the person who creates any visual piece that cannot be made with photography. The definition is short but it resumes well how large the term could be. If you paint over a photography or just add a texture over a photo, it IS illustration, not photography anymore.

An artist is a global term...what is art? Art is what you decide. Many illustrators consider themselves as artist, it's a personnal choice. I dont know for Travis, we should ask him :)

What I do and what Travis does is digital illustration, we use photos, scans, mix medias. In half of my work, I told myself : That is art, not illustration, sometimes it's very personnal and introspective, and seeing it that way, it's most considered as art.

Prestige (in this thread) was right about how graphic designer dont use computers. In my college years I almost never touch a computer even if Photoshop existed at that time. Why? we can work without them : We learned to draw our own types, scan and print photos, I made some layout using traditionnal ways. Today is a bit different, I never use traditionnal ways anymore, way faster with a computer.

Finally, there's 3 categories of graphic designer :
-Technical designers (they make magazine layout, advertising), -designers (http://www.artofwong.com/) and -multimedia designers (mostly website, DVD/CD-Rom, VideoGame...)

The only graphic design part of my work is when I layout my illustrations and use vector logos to prepare it for the press. it's like...5% of my work maybe less.

I'm an illustrator NOT a graphic designer. 90% I draw my designs from my head but I've had interest in the art of photo manipulation which is why I made this thread. And no, Travis is not a graphic designer. I do digital illustration as well, but I use a different method. Instead of basing my images on photographs, I create/draw my own elements and use them instead. I use programs like photoshop and painter more like you'd paint with Oil paint than a computer.
If you'd like I can show you many painterly images that were made on the computer, but aren't graphic design.

Ok. Well these I painted just out of my head in photoshop. I feel that there's more freedom in creating entirely drawn/painted images than modify photos but I don't really know.
n1280829252_78669_2040.jpg

caughtsd4.jpg

ThatWontKillMe.jpg

This is the only photomanip piece I've done:
vuotan.jpg

Craig Mullins? check this website out www.conceptart.org
too much great artist on this website (Jason Chan, Richard Doble, NoxIzMad, Richard Doble, Carl Dobsky to name a few)
I'm not telling this is better than yours or better than mine, this is some different technique but it's...awesome, inspiring and really cool
have fun

Craig Mullins? check this website out www.conceptart.org
too much great artist on this website (Jason Chan, Richard Doble, NoxIzMad, Richard Doble, Carl Dobsky to name a few)
I'm not telling this is better than yours or better than mine, this is some different technique but it's...awesome, inspiring and really cool
have fun

I've been on that site for years and I've been to one of their workshops. Really good friends with a few people on that site. What's your user name?

A graphic designer is involved in any visual project that use typography, photography, illustration and layout. That doesn't mean he takes his own photos or draw their own illustrations. 99% of the time they don't.

An illustrator is the person who creates any visual piece that cannot be made with photography. The definition is short but it resumes well how large the term could be. If you paint over a photography or just add a texture over a photo, it IS illustration, not photography anymore.

An artist is a global term...what is art? Art is what you decide. Many illustrators consider themselves as artist, it's a personnal choice. I dont know for Travis, we should ask him :)

What I do and what Travis does is digital illustration, we use photos, scans, mix medias. In half of my work, I told myself : That is art, not illustration, sometimes it's very personnal and introspective, and seeing it that way, it's most considered as art.

Prestige (in this thread) was right about how graphic designer dont use computers. In my college years I almost never touch a computer even if Photoshop existed at that time. Why? we can work without them : We learned to draw our own types, scan and print photos, I made some layout using traditionnal ways. Today is a bit different, I never use traditionnal ways anymore, way faster with a computer.

Finally, there's 3 categories of graphic designer :
-Technical designers (they make magazine layout, advertising), -designers (http://www.artofwong.com/) and -multimedia designers (mostly website, DVD/CD-Rom, VideoGame...)

The only graphic design part of my work is when I layout my illustrations and use vector logos to prepare it for the press. it's like...5% of my work maybe less.

I'm going to have to, and will, come back to this one.