tremelo picking help

Warmoose76

Apr 11, 2007
i just want some tips for tremelo picking how to get real fast nd stuf. i also hav the problem were i dont know what to do with my hand do i rest it on the body next to the strings wen im picking and use my wrist for picking? or do i keep my arm and wrist off my guitar and use my arm? plz help because im confused
:loco:

I don't know what you do with your hand, id tell ya by feel but my guitar's in the shop and i can't play with it. The sole point of tremlo picking is to pick up then down, rather than just down. this won't just double your speed, it's tripple/quadruple it at LEAST. Just practice up/down stroking. You should get some sloppy speed in a few days, then work on making it come out cleaner.

tremelo picking is pretty much alternate picking very fast. don't be afraid to start off slow. just keep going down then up until you can play it fluent and at a decent speed. after that you gradually increase over time and soon it will be very easy. it also requires endurance as it can tired you out quickly but with practice, you can get it down fast.

people prefer different ways of where they keep their hand while playing. some may prefer resting it on the body, the strings, or the bridge. i'd say pick whatever you feel more comfortable with and that allows you to play well. when i tend to pick i use both my wrist and arm and it sort of balances out and thats how i feel i can have steady picking but im not totally sure if just using your wrist is a good idea.

NEVER tremolo pick with your whole arm, its a very easy and sure way to screw your arm and elbow. Just use your wrist.

It also doesn't make any goddamn sense. At least to me it doesn't. I mean, it just seems like you can get good economy of movement easier by moving from just your wrist rather than by moving your whole forearm. It also requires less energy.

NEVER tremolo pick with your whole arm, its a very easy and sure way to screw your arm and elbow. Just use your wrist.

Good info, I used to use my arm until i realized it was a bad idea considering the fact that if you hit the string the wrong way.....it will snap lol (I learnt the hard way :p)Using your wrist is more accurate and safe.

i just want some tips for tremelo picking how to get real fast nd stuf. i also hav the problem were i dont know what to do with my hand do i rest it on the body next to the strings wen im picking and use my wrist for picking? or do i keep my arm and wrist off my guitar and use my arm? plz help because im confused
:loco:

Playing guitar depends on 2 things.

1) personal preferance - if all you friends rest their hands in a certain place yet you feel uncomfortable with it, find a way that is comfortable, i for example rest my little finger under the 1st string unless i'm tapping or tremolo picking on the 6th string.

2) If your guitar is neck heavy (like mine :mad:) then you may have to hold it a certain way (while standing up).

To be honest tremolo picking isn't too difficult just keep practising...

For ensuring you are doing it right and not building on mistakes/sloppiness; play it clean. Of course it most likely wont be the sound your after, but you willbe practising how to do it right. Also, try to practise with a relaxed hand. I personally am currently trying to train myself not to tnse up through my arm when i trem pick (yes, i do this even when movement is from the wrist.) You may also like to use a metronome becausem, afterall, its not just about speed, but timing too.

Also, try to practise with a relaxed hand. I personally am currently trying to train myself not to tnse up through my arm when i trem pick (yes, i do this even when movement is from the wrist.)

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

You may also like to use a metronome becausem, afterall, its not just about speed, but timing too.

and this too.

Yeah, perhaps the hardest thing is endurance. It is pretty easy until you start going 15 minutes and on. For this, the best tool is your mind. Try not to let it wander. Focus on relaxing the whole time. If you become tense, you can still relax and continue without stopping.

I usually rest my hand on the strings a little too much when making black metal because sound quality matters not, but for clean stuff you have to avoid the scratching sound such a position creates. Learn to do it the hard way first so that you can do both.

This isn't a Black Metal debate thread.

Anyway, aside from what all the users on here have already said, I can recommend a good song to get your tremolo picking skills up, which is Everdying by In Flames. Throughout the song, it's basically midtempo tremolo picking, which I find to be harder than tremolo picking at high speeds, it requires more control.

No, it matters... At least if you're planning to play good BM. If all you care is making a shitload of noise then go ahead and play crappy music. Any genre would do, not just BM.

Oh believe me i will not be playing black metal now or ever, i was merely practical joking.