Tremolo picking

Kasuro

New Metal Member
Aug 15, 2007
Tennessee
I can't seem to get it down. I've been trying to play 'Travel in Stygian' by Iced Earth and the tremolo picking kills me. My pick always slips or slides, or doesn't hit the string enough... know what I'm talking about? Like, the pick either slips off the string, and it makes a crappy, sloppy sound, or the pick gets almost knocked out of my hand by the string.

My wrist and hand also tend to cramp up as well... My string tension isn't anything beyond normal and I hold the guitar pick in the right spot. I'm using a Clayton pick, it's a lil heavier but not super heavy.

Dunno if anyone can help me based off of this but yeah. lol. Thanks anyway.

This may seem obvious but if you start at a slow tempo and speed up(at least until you've got it down) it helps with the whole pick slipping/sticking thing.At once you get really good at it, it becomes second nature.

id reccommend without actually asking what kind of picks you use andf what technique you have for it but it seems that everyone does it differently anyway....
use a heavy pick with somesort of grip on it if you have a problem getting a grip ..so to speak.

my first reccomendation is to check out Eddie van halens way....he was one of the first to incorporate alot of tremlo picking into his music and solos.....i would describe his way as a suspended wrist flicking motion...meaning his hand is not resting on the strings at all and hes just moving the wrist with a little forearm twisting.
if you never noticed he holds the pick with the thumb and middle finger..(i do also)...its a little different from what most teachers and books will show you but whatever works for ya is best , that shouldnt prevent you from trying that technique reguardless of how you hold it.

the second way is what most people will tell you to do and that is to try to keep the picks flat edge parralel with the string, dont dig to deeply into the attack of the string, dont hold the pick in a death grip cause it makes the rest of your hand stiff and will tire you out quicker....just enough to get it to flick accross the string without dropping it.
and work it up to whatever speed you trying to obtain.then stamina is another factor that takes some time to develop.
it should require almost no effort but to move your wrist and forearm (no bicep) in an efficiant way to accieve the proper results.the proper technique will also save you from developing tendanitis or carpel tunnel syndrome later on.

best of luck to ya.....once you figure it out it really isnt that hard.

i prefer a much thinner pick for trem picking....it will hurt, but thats just getting your muscles used to it. Ensure your not locking your elbow unintentionally otherwise it will hurt, cause damage, and form a bad habit ;) Its all in the wrist

true a much thinner pick isnt a bad idea for tremlo picking but it usually sounds like shit on everything else besides that.....i can give ya quite a few reason why thin picks suck (imo). but i wont cause its still a matter of preference.

as far as pain .....well, that is somthing you can help prevent by just training with proper technique and not exurting yourself physicly.
we all have heard stories about some great and rather famous guitarist being relly screwed up or retired altogether from various hand ailments and conditions.

i never really had any problems with pain , tendonitis or anything else serious from playin guitar... i did altho develop a gangleon cyste (spelling) on the back of my fret hand from active finger movement...
basically it was a bump on the back of my hand that is nothing more then a cluster of nerves that for some reason just decided to appear one day...and stayed there for 15 years .
The old tyme remmedy to cure it was to smash it with a book or large flat object and it was supposed to go away:Smug: ......lucky for me i wasnt desperate to get rid of it cause it wasnt causeing any harm or stupid enough to smash my hand with a heavy flat object:zombie: ....it went away on its own after i quit playing for a few years in the late 90s ,since ive started playing again for awhile it hasnt come back.....knock on wood.:Smokin:

Dude, jsut hold it hard, at a right angle to the string and do it with your wrist...

Well I found this interesting at the time of my induction to fast picking:

Paul Gilbert majorly influences my technique so I find every lesson of his to be a god send, you may not find his way comfortable at first but you'll get used to it. Having said that you might just not give a shit and carry on with your prefered technique :lol: About the cramps, that will be because your not used to it, its just the same when any new technique is applied for instance when i first started my fingers cramped like fuck playing power chords :lol: Anyhoo good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: