Tribute Records

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I picked up this last week the Nuclear Blast tribute to The Four Horsemen & also The Evil Lives tribute to Black Sabbath. Both of these are choice people!!! As far, as tributes go, these are a couple of the best that I have heard. Another one I'd recommend is Humanary Stew a tribute to Alice Cooper, there's also the cover theme records, some killer ones, Tribute to the Gods by Iced Earth & also Six Feet Under's Graveyard Classics!
The Nativity in Black cd is great too! I know there's probably people here that would say otherwise... So, let's hear it either way.:p
SIXXSWINE-\m/

Hah I'm the king (or was) of tributes, I have a lot, but lately I had slow down because:

a) I discover several songs are used in more than one tribute
b) I'm overdosing because of bad tributes (some bands should be executed for their covers)
c) I have more important albums in the list

Nevertheless here's the shit I have:

A Tribute To ABBA
Thunderbolt: A Tribute To AC/DC
Tribute To Aerosmith: Not The Same Old Song And Dance
Nativity In Black: A Tribute To Black Sabbath
Nativity In Black II: A Tribute To Black Sabbath
A Tribute To Black Sabbath: Eternal Masters
Master Of Misery: Black Sabbath The Earache Tribute
Hell Rules: A Tribute To Black Sabbath
Hell Rules 2: Tribute To Black Sabbath
Dehumanized Witch: A Tribute To Black Sabbath Mk. 2
In Memory Of Celtic Frost
Humanary Stew: A Tribute To Alice Cooper
Smoke On The Water: A Tribute (Deep Puprle)
Blackmores’s Castle – A Tribute To Deep Purple & Rainbow
Leppardmania: A Tribute To Def Leppard
Holy Dio: A Tribute To The Voice Of Metal - Ronnie James Dio
Awaken The Demon: Tribute To Dio
Voices: A Tribute To Dream Theater
Encores, Legends & Paradox: A Tribute To The Music Of ELP
Twang: A Tribute To Hank Marvin & The Shadows
The Keepers Of Jericho (Helloween)
The Keepers Of Jericho 2 (Helloween)
Transylvania 666 (Iron Maiden)
Slave To The Power (Iron Maiden)
666 The Number One Beast (Iron Maiden)
666 The Number One Beast: Volume 2/The Final Chapter (Iron Maiden)
A Tribute To The Beast (Iron Maiden)
A Call To Irons: A Tribute To Iron Maiden
A Call To Irons 2 – Tribute To Iron Maiden
Children Of The Damned: A Tribute To Iron Maiden
Maiden America: Iron Maiden Tribute and American Metal Compilation
A Tribute to Judas Priest Vol. I
A Tribute to Judas Priest Vol. II
A Tribute To The Priest
Hell Bent For Metal: Tribute To Judas Priest
Hell Bent For Metal II: Tribute To Judas Priest
Megaded: A Tribute To Megadeth
A Tribute To Metallica: Metallic Assault
A Metal Tribute To Metallica
Overload: A Tribute To Metallica
Overload 2: A Tribute To Metallica
Dead Forever: Tribute To Motorhead
Another Hair Of The Dog: A Tribute To Nazareth
Bat Head Soup: A Tribute To Ozzy
Tribute To A Madman (Ozzy Osbourne)
La Leyenda Continua: Tributo A Rata Blanca
Red Star: A Tribute To Rush
Working Man (Rush)
Crushing Days: A Tribute To Joe Satriani
A Metal Crusade: Tribute To Saxon
A Tribute To The Scorpions
Another Piece Of Metal: Tribute To Scorpions
Killers On The Loose Again (Thin Lizzy)
Emerald: A Tribute To The Wild One (Thin Lizzy)
The Lizzy Songs!: A Tribute To Phil Lynott
Lords Of Karma: A Tribute To Vai/Satriani
Tales From Yesterday: A View From The South Side Of The Sky (Yes)

And I have to add:

Overkill - "Coverkill"
Catch The Rainbow - "Tribute To Rainbow"
Helreid - "Fingerprints Of The Gods" (MCD, the second CD is only covers)
Mesmerize - "Vultures Paradise" (MCD, the second CD is only covers)
Lana Lane - "Covers Collection"
Yngwie Malmsteen - "Inspiration"
Skid Row - "B-Sides Ourselves"
The String Qaurtet - "Tribute To Balck Sabbath"
Rondellus - "Sabbatum - A Medieval Tribute To Black Sabbath"

Wyvern said:
Hah I'm the king (or was) of tributes,

You are indeed the king!! That's a crazy lit my friend, I didn't even know there were that many tributes out there.

He is the fucking king!!!
I'm a little bit picky & only pick up selected tributes or cover records. Like you said, you could really over do it & some bands have no business doing some of these covers!!!! Hey can you tell me more about Lana Lane?
I have heard & read stuff about that gal. What would you recommend?!

I think tribute albums can be really cool... or REALLY horrid!

I own the N.I.B.s and they rock pretty hard. I have "Kiss my Ass", which has some good and some completely off the wall covers on it. I have Overkill's "Coverkill" which really kicks! I have a few others kicking around.

I prefer to own the original versions, and I actually prefer when a single band does a covers record over a tribute to one band done by many other bands.

I've even been involved in a tribute to Motorhead. My other band, CHAOS Incorporated, used to be named "FALLOUT", and had a different lineup (me being the last standing original member) that recorded the song "Stay Clean" for the Official Tribute called "Make 'Em Deaf Forever", that's located on Motorhead's official website. It never got put out on CD though and remains an internet only endeavour. It's also the only "official" tribute to the mighty Motorhead. I am honoured to have been a part of it, and I think we did a pretty good job on the song (including my bass solo, heheheh :loco: ).

If you're so inclined, check it out, HERE, and let me know what you think (and I used my Rickenbacker bass on this!)!

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hawk said:
Hey Clammy

Have you heard the new Motorhead yet? Man! It rules.

Yeah, I have! I LOVE it!! Good old school Motorhead... and "Whorehouse Blues" is fucking BRILLIANT!

I can't wait to see them on tour!

Cheers!

Some tributes are quite good, but not too many unfortunately :

Judas Priest - Legends of Metal
Holy Dio (the other Dio tributes are terrible)
Emerald : Tribute to the Wild One (Thin Lizzy)
the first Accept tribute, not bad
maybe the Scorpions and Rush ones
and the tribute to ABBA was quite funny, even if not so good

Worst tributes IMO :
an eastern tribute to Blind Guardian (*insert vomit emoticon here*)
another eatern tribute, to Helloween (featuring atrocious death metal versions, please learn to play your instruments guys)
the italian Savatage tribute (please learn to sing....)
95% of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden tributes (as Wyv said, some bands shouldn't be allowed to cover cult songs ahah)
I heard a Stryper tribute that was pretty bad too
an awful tribute to Manowar but I don't want to remember its name

I don't like the Mercyful Fate tribute that much but I'm partial on this one, as nearly all the bands did black metal versions...

I must say I am Not Big on tribute records at all there is a Handful that are good, Like the Zep one you sent me Sixx that one is awsome, I actually prefere the cover Albums Like Overkill - CoverKill, Pro-Pain - Run For Cover ... the Iced Earth isnt Bad I have had it cramed down my throat on WAAAAAAAAAAAY to many occasions and Graveyard Classics isnt bad I Like there Savatage Cover and the Fact they picked a song only Hardcore Sava Fans would know =D ...... But the List of Bad cover albums I have heard could go on for Days I have Heard alot of those "Death Metal Bands you dont know Destroy Classics you love" and they have totally ruined it for me

Clammy said:
and I think we did a pretty good job on the song (including my bass solo, heheheh :loco: ).

If you're so inclined, check it out, HERE, and let me know what you think (and I used my Rickenbacker bass on this!)!

Cheers!

CLAMMY that was Awsome! your Bass sounded MEAN there Excellent work!:headbang:

The new KISS tribute CD "Spin The Bottle" is awesome. All star rock & roll lineup and alot of great covers all done in a traditional hard rock way. "I Want You" with Kip Winger & Paul Gilbert is great!

sixxswine said:
He is the fucking king!!!
I'm a little bit picky & only pick up selected tributes or cover records. Like you said, you could really over do it & some bands have no business doing some of these covers!!!! Hey can you tell me more about Lana Lane?
I have heard & read stuff about that gal. What would you recommend?!
Heh, when I was into the tribute craziness I filled myself with them. I stopped when I saw another Metallica tribute and I realize I was drowning myself in the same songs.

Lana Lane is an American singer that works with his husband Erik Norlander (proucer and keyboardist). She works close to Arjen Lucassen in the Universal Migrator albums, and Arjen returned the favor for her "Secrets Of Astrology" album.
She's not metal, mostly melodic hard rock with progressive/symphonic overtones. She can have mid-tempo/fast songs but usually are slow/suave tunes (especially lately which annoys me). She had cover other's people work several times in her career but the "Covers Collection" is only new material not covered in past albums. Her husband always modify the songs to fit her voice and style, which makes the songs good covers and original. She tries not to take material unfit for her style, so she covers (as examples ) 'Kashmir', 'Still Lovíng You' and 'Stargazer'.
I guess she is an acquired taste, I wouldn't recommend her to standard headbangers.

Fangface said:
Some tributes are quite good, but not too many unfortunately :

Judas Priest - Legends of Metal
Holy Dio (the other Dio tributes are terrible)
Emerald : Tribute to the Wild One (Thin Lizzy)
maybe the Scorpions and Rush ones
and the tribute to ABBA was quite funny, even if not so good
The JP tribute is the best of the bunch I agree, but some songs of the CM one are good too.
The Dwell records Dio tribute was pretty decent considering their past tributes quality.

As for Thin Lizzy I disagree, the one called "Killers On The Loose Again" is far more superior, came on Axe Killer with people like Phil Campbell, Paul Dianno, Neil Murray, Steve Grimmet, Nicky Moore and other people from the NWOBHM/classic English metal era (same dudes than they came with the Iron Maiden and Nazareth tribute).

Scorpions tribute both the CM and Dwell records are pretty solid.

Rush the Magana Carta one is fucking awsome but the one Dwell did is a fucking crime (how a Death/Black band is going to cover Rush growling and blasting the double bass/cymbals in a noisy riot?), even so like four songs can be rescued (Capital 2, Mythiasin, Protoype, Premonition).

Clammy said:
Yeah, I have! I LOVE it!! Good old school Motorhead... and "Whorehouse Blues" is fucking BRILLIANT!
INDEED! :headbang:

JonnyD said:
CLAMMY that was Awsome! your Bass sounded MEAN there Excellent work!:headbang:

Why thank you very kindly!

Rics really have unique tone, and in CHAOS, I go for an over-the-top Lemmy type tone. I use my handmade B.C. Rich Warlock basses now, but when I started playing bass, I was using Rics only. I also used a Marshall guitar stack as the amp on that track! My main amp now is modelled after Lem's - 1974 Marshall Super Bass head, Marshall 4x12 bass cab, Marshall 2x15 bass cab (Lemmy has 4x15 cabs!). You can hear my current bass sound in the songs located HERE especially in the intro of "Resurface".

Cheers!

Wyvern said:
As for Thin Lizzy I disagree, the one called "Killers On The Loose Again" is far more superior, came on Axe Killer with people like Phil Campbell, Paul Dianno, Neil Murray, Steve Grimmet, Nicky Moore and other people from the NWOBHM/classic English metal era (same dudes than they came with the Iron Maiden and Nazareth tribute).
Ok I haven't heard that one, I'll check it out when I find it.
Thin Lizzy :worship:

Wyvern said:
Another Piece Of Metal: Tribute To Scorpions
"
Hey Vern, pull out that CD and stick in "Alien Nation" by Avalon and give it a couple of good listens. That song is definitely in my top five of all cover songs I have ever heard. The vocalist (Chity Lanka) crushes Klaus while singing in Klaus's style. I would have loved to have heard Avalon (not that it will happen as they are defunct) do some of the better Scorps tunes.
Yes, Wyvern you definitely are the "Cover King" as Tesla would say..... well sorta...

Bryant

Bryant said:
Hey Vern, pull out that CD and stick in "Alien Nation" by Avalon and give it a couple of good listens. That song is definitely in my top five of all cover songs I have ever heard. The vocalist (Chity Lanka) crushes Klaus while singing in Klaus's style. I would have loved to have heard Avalon (not that it will happen as they are defunct) do some of the better Scorps tunes.
Yes, Wyvern you definitely are the "Cover King" as Tesla would say..... well sorta...

Bryant
Agree Bryant the Avalon cover is pretty good, the overall album is pretty good. Dwell Records started with very bad tributes. The first one I had was "In Memory Of Celtic Frost", mostly Black bands, but covering CF it was alright. When I got "A Call To Irons 1" I was between WOW (Solitude Aeturnus, Steel Prophet, Opeth) and WTF with the rest. Progressively the label has call more and more good bands (albeit some unknown) to play in the tributes. Dio, Saxon, Scorpions, Judas Priest are very polished, while Rush, Motorhead, Metallica ara basically crappy.

Clammy said:
Why thank you very kindly!

Rics really have unique tone, and in CHAOS, I go for an over-the-top Lemmy type tone. I use my handmade B.C. Rich Warlock basses now, but when I started playing bass, I was using Rics only. I also used a Marshall guitar stack as the amp on that track! My main amp now is modelled after Lem's - 1974 Marshall Super Bass head, Marshall 4x12 bass cab, Marshall 2x15 bass cab (Lemmy has 4x15 cabs!). You can hear my current bass sound in the songs located HERE especially in the intro of "Resurface".

Cheers!

Your Welcome Buddy!!! I went and checked out those 2 songs Very Cool! Do you guys have any albums?!? I would be totally interested in hearing more!