Trigger impedance & preamps

There is nothing wrong with iLok. In fact, it's a hell of a lot easier than the alternative anti-piracy methods (challenge/response, license files, website activation...). Install plug-in(s), plug iLok into USB port, ready to go. Don't even try to argue that alternative methods are just as easy. Usually the case, at least through the subject coming up many times on this forum, is the people that have an aversion to iLok are the ones that have never used it. I'm going to guess you have never had one, or at least no personal experience to call upon for your opinion on them, correct?

I've never owned an iLok, because I don't like the idea that I'm paying for anti-piracy methods, when I'm always buying every plugin I'm using anyway (unless they're give for free of course). And even all the Waves plugins have been cracked, so why pay Pace for copy protection if it's useless? I think Waves has some kind of and online authorization now...?

But I might have to buy Trigger. ApTrigga is not THAT bad, but often requires some extra work with drum tracks.

One thing the OP is seemingly not aware of is that peizo pickups are not resonant at low frequencies, PERIOD. It does not matter how well the piezo is loaded, it will never produce low frequency voltages. The lowest resonant frequency of a piezo is dependent on its mass. A small piezo will never produce a strong voltage at low frequencies, even when it is unloaded. That is just how they work.

Um, yes, you're right. I didn't actually think that the piezo is probably not AT ALL resonant outside the resonant frequency. Then it will most likely make no difference at all increasing the load impedance. Maybe I was focusing too much on the electronics, while forgetting the mechanics behind it.

---------------

But hey, has anyone tried cutting those cheap little piezo discs to a thin rectangular shape to fit ddrum triggers? They cost like 50 cents a piece while ddrum replacement parts are like 15e I think.

I've never owned an iLok, because I don't like the idea that I'm paying for anti-piracy methods, when I'm always buying every plugin I'm using anyway (unless they're give for free of course). And even all the Waves plugins have been cracked, so why pay Pace for copy protection if it's useless? I think Waves has some kind of and online authorization now...?

But I might have to buy Trigger. ApTrigga is not THAT bad, but often requires some extra work with drum tracks.

Waves uses iLok to this day. You are paying for anti-piracy if the plug-in has:

• challenge/response
• license file
• iLok
• anything other than install and go (usually free plugs)

Your logic on this makes no sense whatsoever. I could just go steal some microphones, so what is the point of paying for them? :loco:

And I didn't say apTrigga is bad... I still own it. But Trigger is much, much better and I haven't used apTrigga since getting Trigger. Not only in regards to triggering, but multiple velocities, true dynamics... TCI vs. loading individual samples... apTrigga just does not compare.

Um, yes, you're right. I didn't actually think that the piezo is probably not AT ALL resonant outside the resonant frequency. Then it will most likely make no difference at all increasing the load impedance. Maybe I was focusing too much on the electronics, while forgetting the mechanics behind it.

Wow. Is this not what I, and others tried to explain to you earlier?? The point of using piezos in the first place is to avoid low end which does nothing but muck up the signal for triggering. Glad you actually read what people tried to tell you. /sarcasm

Your logic on this makes no sense whatsoever. I could just go steal some microphones, so what is the point of paying for them? :loco:

No you got it wrong. I meant I'd still pay for the microphones even if nobody would find out if I stole them. That's why I find it frustrating to pay someone for watching me not stealing them, even though they usually won't be able to make sure that everyone is paying for them. I think people accept anti-piratism too readily. Entering a serial key each time I'm installing a plugin is fine, but iLok just goes too far in my opinion, and that's why I'm choosing to buy products that don't have that much copy protection. I'm buying the product because I want it to be easy to use and probably install it on my desktop and my laptop without having to use the same dongle on both computers. If it's easier to download from a torrent site, then why spend your money on it?

And I didn't say apTrigga is bad... I still own it. But Trigger is much, much better and I haven't used apTrigga since getting Trigger. Not only in regards to triggering, but multiple velocities, true dynamics... TCI vs. loading individual samples... apTrigga just does not compare.

Yes I know you didn't say apTrigga is bad. I meant that myself.

Wow. Is this not what I, and others tried to explain to you earlier?? The point of using piezos in the first place is to avoid low end which does nothing but muck up the signal for triggering. Glad you actually read what people tried to tell you. /sarcasm

The point of using a piezo in the first place is that is picks up the vibration (change of pressure) of the drum head only on contact and therefore doesn't pick up any bleed from other drums. I thought loading the piezo correctly could have possibly improved the frequency response and maybe helped tracking weak drum hits or something. There's lots of stuff below the resonant frequency of 5 kHz before it mucks up the signal. But if the crystal only resonates on a narrow band near the resonant frequency, then loading the piezo probably has little effect anyway.

The difference between the mic preamp and line in was clearly audible, but line input and instrument input sounded the same, so I guess it confirms that it's useless.

Plug it into a DI-Box. I can't tell how much headroom you'd be using up, but tracking using a low impedance mic preamp could affect the dynamics of the trigger.

No you got it wrong. I meant I'd still pay for the microphones even if nobody would find out if I stole them. That's why I find it frustrating to pay someone for watching me not stealing them, even though they usually won't be able to make sure that everyone is paying for them. I think people accept anti-piratism too readily. Entering a serial key each time I'm installing a plugin is fine, but iLok just goes too far in my opinion, and that's why I'm choosing to buy products that don't have that much copy protection. I'm buying the product because I want it to be easy to use and probably install it on my desktop and my laptop without having to use the same dongle on both computers. If it's easier to download from a torrent site, then why spend your money on it?

923-facepalm.gif

Alright, I'm done.

Alright, I'm done.

The thing is I think these companies should compete with piracy, not fight it. But this has nothing to do with the topic anymore and I don't think I can even express myself in English well enough in this matter so let's just leave it here.

So has anyone tried cutting those piezo discs to fit ddrum triggers as I asked before?